New Stadium mailer from Woody

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ess-dog, May 27, 2008.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if i remember correctly, that place had a roof. at least you would be dry and comfortable in rain and snowy, cold weather.

2. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

I have resigned myself to the idea that my tenure as a season ticket holder is coming to an end. 24 years of support has resulted in a kick in the ass from ownership in the form of PSL's. Enjoy your wonderful stadium. Your "new" fans will love it.

3. JetLagInCa

JetLagInCa Active Member

When do I receive the refund for funds paid to stay on the waiting list which is now due back to me?

4. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Waiting list funds are not being sent back, only credited when your name comes up to buy tickets.

5. Cornfed

Cornfed Member

I'm around 1200 on the waiting list. Have been going to all the games since about 1996, first using a friend's seats then buying from an actual season ticket holder.

I still haven't seen the mailer (can someone post pictures/scans?) as they're at my parents' address where I lived when I got on the list many years ago. I don't need extravagantly fancy features such as "5 star" dining (whatever that means). Also, I do worry that they'll price out average schmos like me. I have loved the wonderful tailgating and general party atmosphere of games the last 10 years.

Just give me access by train and don't charge a PSL and I'll happily continue to go to games (and buy my seats when my number comes up). But if they hit us with $5k+ PSLs, I don't know what I'll do, and will likely have to bow out at that point...

6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything said excpet this is not about Woody or the Jets, this is about what's going on Sports. The Giants will be doing to the same thing. Yankee seats behind the dugout that were $125 last year are $230 this year and are going for $750 next year with your own parking spot and free food. Can you imagine. Stop making this about Woody or the Jets. Its corporate greed yes, but its all corporations. Look at this counrty, being run by Bush and the oil men. I wish we would have just left things alone and spruced up the current place.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Having a roof would have made it more corporate. The best thing about the cold and rain is it keeps the women and children home and leaves the hardcore to themselves. I for one, could care less about a super bowl in NJ. Hell, if the Jets ever make it I want to go some where warm far away from my family

8. Hofstra Jet

Hofstra Jet Active Member

i have not received the mailer as of yesterday, hopefully it comes today, i am waiting to read about this

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Thanks for the crash course in Econ 101, but you're preaching to the choir when you're telling me all this. I majored in Economics and Business Administration in college many years ago, then ran my own successful business for 30 years with 22-27 employees on my payroll.

So yes, I'm well aware of your points, as are most readers here, and there's no need to redundantly hammer away at the pure business side of it. Businesses need to make money to stay in business and thank God for that, otherwise the Jets would be out of business.

But you overlook the fact that a good business plan also requires periopheral vision, especially if it's a sports franchise. Overall "customer satisfaction" affects the bottom line in any business. I don't mean to diminish your strictly myopic view of "business as a business and nothing more," because, afterall, the NY Jets are a business first (and in the business of winning and thereby pleasing fans second). But to assume that there is nothing whatsoever to consider outside of the net profit at the bottom line is equally as Neanderthal as your renditions of "Goomba Johnny" or your depiction of current fans as "mouth-breathing Neanderthals satisfied by stale beer and greasy burgers."

Overall content and satisfaction of loyal Jets fans has to be an integral part of the business plan. I would think that there is as much indirect revenue derived from the sale of T-shirts, hats and other Jets paraphernalia as from the sale of the tickets themselves. If this is not so, at least it's a major consideration to the bottom line. In other words, fans support is often voiced in the purchase of NFL Jets apparel, calendars, baby bibs, note pads, footballs... you name it. And part of that revenue goes to the bottom line.

When 500,000 fans (80,000 ticketholders and another 420,000 who occasionally buy those overpriced tickets from those ticketholders) feel they?re about to be raped by an organization they?ve loyally supported for a very long time, they get pissed, which is what you?re witnessing here.

To totally ignore the amount of displeasure you?re reading here is a foolish marketing and business choice because all of that enters into the bottom line. Let?s hope the NY Jets organization has more business acumen than you exhibit.

I sincerely hope someone from the FO has an ear to the ground with all this, because there?s got to be more to profitably putting a winning team on the field other than pushing the limit on what the ?traffic will bear? concerning ticket prices. There are other intangibles to consider, such as team morale on the field (and therefore the desire to win) in the face of either support or lack thereof from the stands. The current direction seems to be to fill the seats with mostly corporate out-of-towners, a policy that totally ignores game-day, live fan support and in fact could easily lend itself to booing and negative support from the stands.

Let?s hope there?s a happy medium on this and that perhaps, as White Shoes says, this is still much ado about nothing, since we really have no concrete evidence yet of possible exorbitant PSLs being accessed.

In the meantime, I would think having fans express their opinion on this is a good thing and something to be encouraged by all fans.

10. sect105

sect105 New Member

I was thinking....It is May of 2008, why send out a brochure when the stadium does not open for 2 more years?

As soon as I opened it up, I thought that they should have just sent a letter saying.."Bend Over, these mailers are being sent to butter you up, until we ask for PSL's".

Those that continue to try to make believe that it won't happen are kidding themselves.

If there was no way the team was going to be charging PSL's, they would have said so already.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

They probably don't know yet, or haven't determined what they will be. The stadium isn't 1/4 built (I drove by it last week) and at least two years from opening. I can't imagine they would have a set dollar amount to announce yet. They will probably have to get together with the Giants and figure out what to do, I can't imagine the two teams could get away with two drastically different plans.

12. Section 227. Row 5

This was my reaction as well, 105. If this is indeed the purpose of the brochure, I'm disappointed in the Jets.

If I'm going to get hit with a PSL, please do it as "up front" as possible and please don't insult my intelligence with a song and dance beforehand. Just be direct about it and explain the finances of the situation and why it's necessary and how I will ultimately consider it a win-win "investment" for everyone, the Jets and the fans.

If the Jets and Giants are sending these out to season ticketholders as a genuine act of gratitude for all our loyalty and as something that we can all be positive about and feel good about, I think it's wonderful. But if it's being sent out as a preamble to, "Would you like some vaseline or do you prefer taking it the old-fashioned way?," then I'll be more than a little pissed when the letter arrives telling me I need to mail in $60,000.

As I said before, aside from being newer and fancier and roomier, I see no distinct advantage to the new stadium at all. In fact, it has disadvantages, namely that the seating is generally further away from the field. As far as the railhead is concerned, you could have found a way to bring that up to the old stadium as well.

It's like a guy who has a perfectly servicable car that's paid for and gets him where he wants to go every time he starts it. And then somebody comes along and tells him he needs to buy a brand new one and go back into debt over it because it looks fancier. WTF?

13. sect105

sect105 New Member

I agree wiith everything you said!

I go there 8 times a year. It's not like baseball where they have over 80 games. Lets face it, when the game is going on, I am in my seat looking at a 100 yard field. I am not wandering around buying beers and hot dogs. By gametime, I did my Partying in the lots. I go to the bathroom before I sit down, and right before halftime. I smoke a cigarette at the spirals, then back to my seat.

14. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Where could I go to see some pics/images of the new stadium?

15. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

as a man who has spent many a halftime at gate D, i am saddened by this new development. all i can hope for now is that sec. 135 is out of the danger zone.

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

You are stating the obvious. We are not children, we know why. We don't care why. We want to go to our god damm football games without effecting our childrens college fund. This is the place to bitch about it. Now take you CNBC attidtude and shove it

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I agree with your last statmenet NU
    " Go ahead and voice your opinion, you're entitled to it. I just don't think that it will ultimately matter in this situation."

Based on you keeping your seasons and eating the PSL, you have money so now we know why you don't care about real fans. In fact you are the kind of people we want to avoid becoming... "A corporate crowd"

18. Section 227. Row 5

No one is out of the danger zone.

This is going to be a ripple-down effect starting at the top of the food chain and working it's way down. The only ticketholders out of the danger zone are those currently holding the worst seats in the house. They have nothing much to lose. But even those people will lose something... proximity to the field, because they'll be much further away even if the seats are exactly in the same relative position.

The layout shows how many more corporate seats there are compared to the old layout. These so-called "Clubs," clubs being the code word for ultra-premium seats, take up the entire sidelines in both the Lower and Mezz levels. If PSLs are assessed, these Club Seats will be the ones affected and will be gobbled up by corporations looking to use the ticket costs as "Travel and Entertainment" writeoffs off of their gross income... totally tax deductable.

So your's truly, if he doesn't want to anty up whatever that PSL number is, gets pissed and demands a good seat just outside this "Club" area. That could be to the left or right, or perhaps up or down, or both. But wherever, you can be sure a guy who's been paying the freight in the Mezz "Premium" section for all these years is still going to want a decent seat, and I hardly think the Jets will not at least attempt to accomodate all of them.

So then I get moved to a front row seat in, say, the Upper Section somewhere. And then THAT ticketholder gets bounced from the front row and looks for at least a decent seat somewhere else... and so on, and so on... right down the food chain.

No one will avoid getting bounced to a lesser seat unless they're willing to anty up, unless you're already in the nose-bleed section dodging pidgeon droppings and don't care if you remain there, albeit with an even smaller, more removed view of the field than you had before.

19. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

wishful thinking
    i think im intitled to my upper mid field low row seat before your im too broke to pay for the mezz ass.
    section 227 row 5, say hello to section 342 row 29

20. Section 227. Row 5

You're not "entitled" to squat, Staten Island.

That's where everybody is wrong. None of us are entitled to anything. It's going to wind up one big clusterfuck... one huge game of musical chairs.