Yankees @ Orioles - 5/26-5/28

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, May 25, 2008.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

BTW: The Yankees' pen's ERA is 15th in the majors, but their number of innings pitched is 4th. The problem ain't the pen, the problem is that they're used all the time. The only reason it isn't as obvious as in years past is because there's no Proctor being used every single night for 2+ innings. It's just relief by committee.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

alio please tell me youre joking about the cashman hilites....he traded for arod? wow...how did he know he was good.....oh and the yankees were the only team that could pay him. genius! he signed Giambi? wow! how did he ever find him? and to get him at such a cheap price too! Contreras! whew, thank God we got him....and Ian Kennedy too? Alio, STFU.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You're a clown jonny. Normally I'm a fan, but when it comes to the Yankees, you make an artform of being ridiculous.

Cashman traded Alfonso Soriano for the best player on the planet (thanks 10P). He traded fat David Wells for Roger Clemens. He brought in Hideki Matsui (oh, but he's just a <insert derogatory word here> to you, right?)

How about keeping Bernie Williams and Derek Jeter in pinstripes for their entire careers? Oh, but fuck both of them too, right?

Then there's always the fact that he traded for Abreu at the trade deadline. Molina too.

Or maybe we could talk about how he traded Gary Sheffield for a stockpile of talent, rebuilding the farm system that every Yankees fan complained had been depleted for years.

But no, we won't talk about any of those things. Simply because not only do they make you wrong, but they make your rants utterly foolish.

You wanted some of Cashman's highlights, and I gave them to you. But you don't want to discuss those. You want to bitch. Well sorry. Your point is poor, at best, and I'm calling you on it.

4. jonnyd

dude i have no problem with you calling me out......so lets look into this.....A-Rod-Texas wanted to get rid of him more than anything in the world. I cant slam cash for making the deal obviously but can we really say "oh wow, great job"? The deal with Boston fell through simply because of the players union! Texas had nowhere else to go but the yankees.

Keeping Bernie Williams and Derek Jeter- Have you seen what Jeter gets paid? what was Casman's accomplishment here dude? He gave the Yankee captain who had zero intention of going anywhere else 20 million a year? wow, what a GM. Same goeos for Bernie ono a smaller scale. I will give cash credit for talking george into making a last pitch for bernie because I do believe he was headed for Boston.

Abreu-nice trade. an obvious salary dump by the Phils, but nice trade.

Sheffield- you cannot possibly give cashman credit foro this until something pans out from that "stockpile" of talent. The big arm we got in that trade has already had tommy john surgery and a multitude of injuries throughouot his career. Either way, this trade cannot go as a positive or negative at this point if youre at all fair and reasonoable about this.

Matsui- Money Money Money. Do you think cashman flew to japan and watched this guy play for three years and then came back and told steinbrenner about him? again, what is his accomplishment there.

and that fat slob david wells as you put it was the best yankee pitcher the year before we got rid of him.

5. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Blah..............

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Okay, so you admit Cashman has made some good moves, just like I admit he's made bad ones. That's the truth of the matter, he's done both.
    ---------------

In other bad news, Kennedy is now on the DL with a repeat injury from last year. Not good. All this conditioning Girardi brought in has done nothing, and it's really starting to get under my skin.

7. jonnyd

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2008/05/3_down_jeter_ny.html

1. Derek JeterDerek Jeter was picked off second base in a tie game in the sixth inning on Tuesday night with Alex RodriguezAlex Rodriguez at the plate. In the ninth inning, Jeter failed to get a sacrifice bunt down with Johnny Damon on second base as the go-ahead run and ultimately struck out. These are the kinds of offenses that have gotten Jose Reyes criticized. Jeter, however, escaped the wrath for the most part, probably because of his long history of success in New York. But maybe we should begin asking, with Jeter at 34 now, whether he is a top player any more. We will leave defense out of the discussion, since it is always such a hot-button topic for those true believers who refuse to see anything wrong with the Yankee captain. Let's just focus on offense and 2008.

At this moment, Jeter ranks 11th in the majors in OPS among qualifying shortstops at .732. He has just 12 extra-base his, including two homers, and just three steals. During his career, Jeter gave the YankeesNew York Yankees ' historically good production at shortstop. But this version of Jeter has become almost exclusively a singles hitter with much less value on the bases than ever before. Nearly one-third of the way through the year, Jeter has been a far worse offensive shortstop than Reyes. Yet, Reyes is the topic in town. It is good to be a Teflon icon.

thought that was funny considering recent conversations around here.
    I may have to rethink my position on cashman because fatcessa was ripping him all day today. Especially pointing out his horrendous record of bringing pitchers to NY. Cashman has been nothing short of embarrassing IMHO of course.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Cap'n Clutch's offense was so off. I was thinking it was soon going to be time to move him to OF/1B, but if he can't hit, well, thats not a good idea either.

9. jonnyd

please dont tell me we're gonna get swept by the birds

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Awesome pitching tonight.

I don't get why they didn't stick with Joba in the ninth though. I would think he's the leading candidate to take Kennedy's spot right now, and he's not close to the pitch count he needs. He's getting in simulated time, but that's not game experience.

Well, off to Minny.

11. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Joba Rules are more complicated than Supreme Court decisions.

Here's the thing about Farnsworth: the stat's don't tell everything. Like when he comes into a situation with runners on base and gives up the runs that are charged to the previous pitcher. It may not go against his ERA, but he doesn't shut the door, either.

BTW, at Pinstripes in the Park tonight, every Yankee fan I met wants Joba to stay in the pen.

12. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is that he wasn't in a position to (or wasn't feeling comfortable enough) to work on his other pitches more. He threw three curveballs (by my count) and zero changeups. Maybe Girardi wanted to lock up the game without limiting Joba. Because in close games, it still seems like Joba just wants to do fastball/slider and that's it.

Not that I'm complaining... Gameday had that last fastball at 100mph.

I'm not familiar with Pinstripes in the Park, but judging by your comments, I'm going to assume it has something to do with Yankee-related outings for the mentally disabled. That's nice.

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

We've never had the smartest fan base.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You are right, we have fans that ignore the october failures of ARod, fans that blame everything on Torre and now fans calling for Jeter to be moved BUT it's not dumb to have wanted Joba to stay in the pen for the remainder of this season. Long term he was going to be a starter but short term he gave us a dominant 8th and 9th(and sometimes 7th-9th), that's how we won in 1996 and that's how Boston won last year.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, he was holding back still. That's going to happen until he gets into the mindset of a starter again. (He should never have been put in the pen in the first place.)

As for his speed, the highest they showed on YES was only 98. :wink:

Girardi did say he was going for the win, and that they'd worry about getting his pitch count up in other ways. While I want Joba to get his number up, I want to win too, so I like that Joe went with his head.

The Pinstripes in the Park is where they set up a movie theater screen @ Bryant Park in Brooklyn, and like 10,000 people show up to watch. I don't know anyone who bothers even considering attending.

You know, I used to be really fooled by the media hype that NY has the most intelligent fans. Not anymore.

How anyone at this point can still believe that Joba isn't needed in the rotation is beyond me.

16. Dierking

Okay, I'll bite. Lets assume, as has been suggested, that Jeter is the third best defensive shortstop on the roster by the end of the season. Plus, as has also been suggested, his offensive production is off markedly. (I don't live in NY anymore, so I don't see a lot of the games on TV, so I don't know how accurate either of those assumptions are. Based on what I hear from Sterling and Waldman, through my bleeding ears, Cap'n is just fine).

But based on those assumptions, what do you do? Is he shortstop-for-life based on the teams success several years ago? Or don't you only care about winning?

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

For life? No but at least the next 4-5 years. He has earned the right to struggle a bit, I think it was '03 when everyone said he was done after his awful start then 3 years later he should have won the MVP. You don't make drastic moves based on a month or 2 into a season.

18. Dierking

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying, if there is truly demonstrative evidence of a decline in his skills and there are better players available (again that's an "if") you can't seriously be advocating that he should play and a superior shortstop should sit, can you?

19. jonnyd

hahahahahah cappy, I may have a new fouond respect for you.....that last line was classic.....very jonnydesque.....and jonnyd is my favorite poster so thats saying a lot.......great, great line.

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well, the superior player starts at third base. Gonzalez may be a better shortstop, but can't hold a candle to Jeter offensively. I don't think ARod is ever going to play short again, so it's Jeter's job for the forseeable future.

Offensively, Jeter was off to a decent start, but since he got nailed on the hand he's struggled. If the Yankees could be patient with Giambi and Cano for the first quarter of the season, there's no reason to give up on Jeter after a couple weeks of struggling.

He'll come around. His miscues in the field have reduced over the past week, and he appears to me that his eye is getting better at the plate. Two weeks from now we won't even be talking about this anymore.

The one thing I will say though, is that Gonzalez should be with the pro team. I still can't stand Beteshit, and I don't want Ensburg back either. Sure, Beteshit and Ensburg are better hitters, but when it comes to a utility player, my opinion is to always go with the best glove. The hitting is remotely secondary, especially considering that any given time you have Damon, Matsui, Giambi, or Duncan sitting on the bench available to pinch hit.
    ---------------

BTW: Someone mentioned Chris Britton the other day. Well, he took Kennedy's vacated spot with the club, so he will probably get his chance before the end of the weekend.