My response to being called "Draft Losers" by Scott Wright on nfldraftcountdown.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ReservoirDog76, May 2, 2008.

1. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

here's the link:

Topic

Draft Winners and Losers

2. AlbanyJet

AlbanyJet New Member

I'm with you. I had a similar feeling when I picked up the USA Today draft review. They graded the Jets as one of the worst with a "D", saying that we were forced to take a "leftover" Gholston! What kills me is that I'm positive that if the Pats grabbed him at #7, they would have been universally praised for landing him and filling a need. Most "experts" had VG in the mix for the #1 pick until Miami signed Long. Lets hope that every move we made proves all of the idiots wrong.

3. ReservoirDog76

Yeah definitely. These experts will be eating their words in a couple of years. "Leftover Gholston" is hilarious. Who should we have picked then??!

4. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

This is so true. I know we have the Jet fan bias going but honest to God I could see this happening. Even still, writers bashing on the Jets is nothing new and by now I've pretty much gotten over any bad reviews. Honestly, if anything this kind of stuff is probably used as billboard material throughout the year by Mangini.

5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Who cares??

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is our team. This is who we will be cheering for, come september.This is who we go to battle with, every sunday. Now lets just shut up, and get ready to prove the nay sayers wrong.

Gas up the bandwagon, it's gonna be a hell of a ride!!!

#6 Jersey Joe 67, May 2, 2008
    Last edited: May 2, 2008
  7. vanyjetsfan

vanyjetsfan Member

I agree with that. Everything the Patsies do is wonderful and the Jets can't do anything right. Adam Shein says that he knows for a fact the Patriots were trying to trade up with KC to #5 to get Gholston. If they did that everyone would annoint him the second coming of LT. And if the Jets traded down and got Mayo at #10 they would have called that a reach and still given us a D. The only way to win is to do it on the field. With Pace coming from 1 side and Gholston coming from the other Mr. Brady will hopefully be on his back quite a bit. One of the knocks on Gholston is that he doen't show up in every game. He still had 14 sacks last year so if he gets only 8 sacks this season and only "shows up" in the 2 Pats games with 4 sacks apiece I'd be happy.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

QFT.

I have no doubt in my mind that if the Pats drafted Gholston everyone would be talking about how the rich only get richer and blah blah blah.

For the Jets to take him means that we OBVIOUSLY missed the Bowl Game and have no idea that this leftover is a surefire bust.

9. ........

........ Trolls

I think you mean:

For the Jets to take him means that we OBVIOUSLY watched the Bowl Game, rather than simply reading the misleading stat line, and have no idea that this leftover is a surefire bust.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he attacks Atlanta when everyone else is blowing them? Odd.

11. JetsLookingforDWare

Blowing them?

They were solid, but trading up for Sam Baker was easily the worst pick in the first round IMO.

Personally, I'm not too impressed with much beyond Lofton. I like Jackson too, but more as a solid player than an impact talent.

Plus, Matt Ryan is so overrated...not saying he won't be good...but they definitely could have used Dorsey or even Ellis over him.

12. ReservoirDog76

Sam Baker wasn't the worst 1st rounder.

Chris Johnson...omg.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Scott Wright should stick to just doing scouting reports and all of that junk because this man has a personal agenda vs the Jets. I usually ignore what he has to say about the current state of the Jets because he has no clue what the needs and players on the Jets.

I remember in 3 or 4 of his early mock drafts this man would ALWAYS have to say ''Well the Jets won a meaningless game in week 17, and cost themselves in the draft''. Come to think of it I think he still has to throw that stupid point in the draft review in his paragraph on Gholston. This guy needs to realize that people's job are on the line, week after week and they could care fucking less about who comes in the draft and potentially takes their job. Besides, Wright fails to mention that we SAVED MONEY because of that win, if we lost we have the 3rd spot and would be paying big time money, maybe even seeing a holdout.

See Wright has to realize his rankings are FAR different than what NFL scouts do and if someone doesnt take his beloved 3rd round grade Carl Nicks or 3rd round grade Johnathan Goff that doesnt mean that their draft automatically stinks.

I bet you if the Jets draftees players do well this year, this man will shrug it off and not give any praise or apologies.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

you have a point, but i heard he is a long suffering Jet fan like we are. And its him being a sarcastic ass against his own team of choice.

I'm glad someone else is for beating KC last year, it wasn't a meaningless win. I'd love to see someone go tell the Jets that they won a meaningless game, only to see that person get laughed at.

15. flgreen

flgreen New Member

I agree, would like to add one more thing. Keller was the best receiver available at that point.

If the Jets had reached for a WR at that point, every one would have screamed about that.

What's not to like about this draft? They got players who are going to have a positive impact with their 1st two picks. That alone makes it a good draft.

If just one of the other 4 hits, this will become a very good draft. I think the odds of two of them contributing are very high.

16. JetsOex

JetsOex New Member

More than any other team 'experts' either love our draft or hate it since we drafted boom or bust type prospects. We took two of the top five athletes in the draft with our top picks. In the fourth round everyone is going to knock us because we took a corner who is too slow. If Dwight Lowery ran a 4.3 forty he would have been a 1st round pick. We took Ainge in the 5th round because the front office wanted to take a QB so regardless of how he turns out there weren't many better options at QB left. 6th and 7th round draft picks usually practice squad players who can be signed by any team anyway so they should not even be included when grading a draft. Scott Wright does a good job at scouting the senor bowl but other than that I do not think he even watches tape on any player without a first round grade. His player profiles are very generic and he very rarely says anything that is not just a summary of a more in depth player report that can be found somewhere else on the internet. On a side note, us not taking Carl Nicks when our new offensive line coach Bill Callihan was his head coach at Nebraska really says something to me about his 3rd round grade.

17. mesheler

mesheler Member

Moral of the story: Never read a newspaper that caters to 7th grade intellect.

I would rather be unemployed than work for USA Today!

18. Tight

Tight Active Member

I think hes gonna convert to wide reciever I mean, thats the only way this makes sense... hes 5'11 which mean he has the height...

when he got that call I know he was like, is this for real

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

He also said we had a pretty bad draft 2 years ago because we ''reached'' for Clemens and he thought he isnt a good QB. I still remember when he had us as losers that year, I LOL'd. He also didnt care for both 3rd rounders, Smith and Schegel(Rightfully so on both though, I will be fair)

Greatest part in his writeup towards what the Jets did was the fact he didnt bother to mention us acquiring a future 2nd rounder in the 2007 draft by the Skins.

20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

All the reporters bitching about us will make next year even sweeter when we are a "surprise team" yet again...