Lowry was only weak pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Apr 27, 2008.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I remember all the hate for the Kerry Rhode's pick.....I don't know how people can bitch about someone they have never seen play a down.

2. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Goose Gosselin (the mock guru) had Keller going in the 1st round. I have Mel Kiper's book right in front of me and he had Keller going #25 to Seattle. Mike Mayock had Keller as the #23 prospect in the draft.

Don't start spouting unless you know what you are talking about.

BTW, I still think Lowery will be tried at CB.

3. 73klecko

73klecko Member

the above message is specifically for James "the loudmouth" Hasty.

4. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Actually most mock drafts I read had Keller going in the 25-30 range. Most had him going at 25 to Seattle. Me and others have pointed this out but you just seemed to ignore it. Giants, NO, and Seattle all had interest. No way he was making it to 36. - Yeah and refer to post #42. You wanted sources, there you go. I will post it again in case you missed it

And if these receivers you keeping talking about as being better picks, are such great players, how come NOT ONE was taken until the mid-2nd? And how come I have not read one, NOT ONE, analyst or draft review that said the Jets reached with Keller. The only place I have read it is here, on this board, with you.

Can you honestly tell me that you went back and read his stat report and looked at his highlight reels?

Lowery, Ainge and Henry were all taken in the range they were projected to go. In fact both the NFL and ESPN commentators liked both the Ainge and Henry picks. As for Garner, it is the 7th round, it is a step above UDFA, so it is irrelevant to a large extant.

It just seems to me that the Jets didn't pick who you wanted and you are not familiar with these players. So you decided they were reaches, before you even knew anything about the players. At least that is the impression you are giving me and others here.

#44 dabrowsk1, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  5. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Great post

I've said in other posts that the CS probably thinks Keller was the best WR in the draft. He has similar height, similar 40 time, and weighs about 30 pounds more than Sweed.

His weight makes him a monster against CB who will weigh about 50 pounds less than him.

Keller will produce ridiculous matchup problems, both against LB when he lines up at TE and CB when he goes in the slot. I think whoever our QB is will exploit his athleticism and help this offense. He's going to be a nightmare in the red zone.

Don't forget Marcus Henry's impact in the red zone. He's a quintessential possession receiver who has better height than any WR we've had in recent years. I hate to get too excited, but I think Henry will be a nice little player. I think he profiles similarly to Colston, but obviously I'm not predicting he'll put up Colston's stats. Henry just reminds me of Colston build-wise.

6. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Way to miss the point, dumbass.

And you're the one complain about the picks.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I also remember when Jets fans chanted "We want Sapp" I know I sure as hell wanted him. But we were just fans I guess the front office knew better then too.

8. James Hasty

No I got the point. You claimed that we had no right to fiss the pick if we hadn't seen him play. By your logic you have no right to defend the pick if you haven't seen him play either.

Looks like you are being the dumbass and a hypocrite too.

9. James Hasty

Goose Goselin? Is that all you got? Kiper does his homework but he doesn't get them all right. I doubt that Wright, Rivlas.com (the site Yahoo! links to), ESPN, CBS Sportsline, and mock drafts on both this site and one of its competitors had Keller in round one. Even if they did, no one had the kid in the top 20.

Sweed, Thomas, Flowers, and Philips have all been posted in the top 15 somewhere. Hell, Brohm has been in the top 20 on some mocks. Please tell me how pick # 34 where Thomas was taken was the lower part of the second round?

Teams reach for players all the time. Maybe Keller is one of those high character guys that Mangini likes. He is a workout warrior and had a very good combine but he can't block and WR would be a position change which adds risk to the selection.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Sweed, Thomas, and Flowers all fell into Round 2 didn't they? That means they weren't worth "reaching" for.

No one had Joe Flacco going inside of the Top 20, but the Ravens traded up to get their guy.

Dustin Keller was ranked in the first round by just about everyone. It was a great pick, and we re-couped that traded pick later, which makes it even greater.

What don't you understand about Keller being a RECEIVING tight end? He has so much athleticism, that he can split out and play WR on the outside, or play inside in the slot. He's not making the switch to receiver, the skills are already there. He can create mismatches ALL over the field, wheter he lines up at tight end, h-back, or WR.

The fact that you keep spelling Vernon Gholston's name wrong repeatedly shows me that you know absolutely nothing.

#50 Mr Electric, Apr 27, 2008
  11. James Hasty

Its funny that you should make such a claim when I have explained not only my logic but listed players that I deem superior to those the Jets have taken. Many of those defending the picks simply state that "we haven't even seen them play in the NFL yet" or "the FO knows what they are doing" instead of giving examples to support the pick such as "that sick play he made against so and so" or triange numbers, or any other sensible reason. Also, except for Jabba, I can't remember anyone else on this board that had man love for Keller until after he was selected by this team.

I knew who Keller was but didn't really think much of any TE in this draft.

I knew about Lowery because I really wanted the Jets to take a CB and did quite a bit of homework on them. He just seemed slow and the issues with his tackling don't help.

Everyone knows Ainge and Gholsten and the upside of both players is interesting.

I can't say I know much about the last two guys but that doesn't seem to be a good sign to me.

12. James Hasty

I agree that Keller is just as good a value pick as Flacco. If you value Flacco at # 17 above the players chosen after him then Keller is a similar value at # 30.

13. James Hasty

Sorry, I didn't realize that this was a spelling bee.

14. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

You are something else. You said no one had him posted in the 1st round anywhere. Someone shows you THREE examples of you being wrong and you dismiss it. But you "doubt" that any other site had him in round one. That means you don't know and are pulling this crap put of your ass. How about you go find some evidence to support your claims?

And who the hell ever said anthing about top 20? He was projected to go 25-30 and taken at 31.

You're right he was taken at 34, I forgot about Thomas. My mistake, but it still isn't the 1st round. And I don't care where if they were "posted" to go in the top 15. They didn't, obviously 32 teams didn't agree with these draft gurus were saying.

I find it funny that you use this as support of your opinions, but when people post examples showing you are wrong about where Keller was projected to go, you laugh it off. Convenient.

He didn't just have a "very good combine" and a "workout warrior." What the hell are you talking about? Have you read anything about him? Watched his film or highlights? The kid made one spectacular play after another in college. He is tough and hard to bring down. He has great hands. None of that has to do with being a workout warrior or the combine.

As for the blocking. He is on the smaller side. But like Clark, small TEs can still block, they just need to be taught technique. Which he wasn't at his college program. But all reports say he is very intelligent, extremely coachable, and loves the film room. His blocking deficiencies can be changed.

The fact is you don't know much about the kid and haven't bothered to look. So you made up this reaching crap (without any evidence to support it) to show your displeasure. Like I said, I understand not liking choosing a TE here, but you are the ONLY person and ANY draft review that claims the Jets reached for Keller.

#54 dabrowsk1, Apr 27, 2008

15. But that's NOT a reach. If the consensus was that he was a top 25/30 type player...he went where he shouldve went, maybe even slighly later!

If you don't like the pick and wanted somebody else..more power to ya. But this pick was NOT a reach, and if he plays H-back for us, like i suspect he will..he fills a major need. And that's NOT debatable. On draft day, especially early...all you can ask is taking a player of proper value, who fits your scheme and if you're lucky, fills a major need.Pinpointing a specific group of 2-3 players you want(unless you have a top 3 pick) is gonna end in dissapointment 9 times out of 10.

#55 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
  16. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I wanted OL, so I didn't know much about Keller. But once the FO took him I went back, read his stats and looked at his highlights. THEN I formed my opinion. As for examples, there are highlights and scouting reports plastered all over this site about Keller. You just choose to ignore them all.

Please post your mocks that you claim didn't have Keller in the first. Please post other draft reviews that say Keller was a reach. Once you do that, then I will continue this debate. Until you support your claims, it sounds like sour grapes.

17. James Hasty

Whoah now, who said anything about a consensus. Consensus would be a very strong word in this case. Even on this board the consensus was not for Keller in round two (at least before he was taken). I would say that the majority of mock drafts did not have Keller in round one. Many of those mocks did not have him as the first TE taken. I know his stock started moving up before the combine but I don't remember any mock where he went above Thomas, Sweed, and Phillips. If better prospects were available it was a reach even if it was to fill a need. Maybe not a huge reach but it was a reach and that means we could have done better.

What I find most frustrating is that many people who could have cared less about Keller three days ago now seem to attack anyone who suggests that he isn't the second coming of Jason Whitten.

18. James Hasty

Here is a mock draft from this very board conducted by Jets fans from this board where Keller was taken # 48 overall (that's in round two for those of you playing at home) by the Falcons:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=30838

While the fans of this board aren't the experts, I will bet that the other GMs looked at many of the same mock drafts and forums that I did before making their selections. We all knew damned well that Dustin Keller was a TE who played for Purdue but the consensus was that he was the 48th best player in the draft. Seems to be a bit of a reach at # 30.

19. People just gave you SEVERAL examples of mocks having him as a first round pick! When those mocks were listed, you questioned their credentials! Almost every mock I saw had Seattle taking him at # 25.

Secondly, you seem hell bent on him being a standard TE. He's NOT Jason Witten..he's never gonna BE Jason Whiten. He's likely gonna play H-back. If you dont understand what that means..i'll be more than happy to explain it to you.

I'll make it simple: Think a combination of Dallas Clarke and Chris Cooley. Scariest part? Keller may have better speed and athleticism.

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Post them, show your examples. You are basing your entire argument on this claim but have provided no evidence. And when others post mocks that prove you wrong, you dismiss them. Come on, prove us all wrong.