Dustin Keller = BUST (merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Apr 26, 2008.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We don't need another forum for that. It's called the New York Jets Forum. Misery is a staple. You can't tell me that all of this post-draft stuff is new to you. It's been like this almost since I joined the board.

2. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

Thanks for the scouting report:up:. I didn't like this pick at first, because I hadn't really seen much of him play. Then I youtubed it up and your right- he is a blazer. People can say what they want to say about "we need more beef" and "we need line depth", but to me what the jets have lacked in the past 3 years is speed on either side of the ball (besides leon johnson). People also say he can't block, but as you alluded he seems to have a solid frame.

All and all, this pick probably says a lot about Tannenbaum and Mangini as talent evaluators. He was the first "pass catching" player selected. And they traded up for him. They did practically the same thing with CB last year and took Revis, who has had a bright start. So let's hope they are 2/2!

3. Capt. Ace Nick

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

This kid is nothing more than a heavy WR. He can't block! If we wanted a reciever which we did drafted in the later round, we could have had the best WR in the draft. No we pick a short TE that can't block. Why did we sign franks? We have five TEs now, what a waiste.

Plus who is going to throw the ball to our new catching only TE?

5. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I think we are going to be running alot of double type plays and maybe he lines up as H-back in situation we the kid got the ball he got YAC so he will be an upgrade to the receivers/TE's that we have now its another option.... and you cat compare hime to Betch Brady Micthell and who ever else all those players were slow as molasses

6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I think the CS will use Keller differently from the traditional TE.

Perhaps a more accurate analogy might make their strategy better understood if you take a look at how Dallas Clark was able to take up the slack when Marvin Harrison went down.

This guy exhibits an explosive release off the line of scrimmage in the tapes. He will be all but impossible to cover for LBs, and his 6'3" 242 lbs. will be a load for the DBs in the secondary.

He is very fast for a tight end -- faster than Gonzales, or Winslow Jr. or Gates.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you try to understand Keller in terms of a Kyle Brady lookalike, or a Heap or a Ben Coates.

Keller has a completely different set of advantages that the NYJ offense can take advantage of.

He will also be an advantage on the field when Chris Baker is there as well.

I guess you will just have to wait and see how the NYJ CS plans to take advantage of Keller -- because you apparently can't visualize it yet.

7. There are just too many people that cant grasp that, the chances of ANY Nfl team drafting exactly who you want at every single spot is unrealistic.

I'll modify a classic mel kiper quote... "it's obvious to me that jet FANS dont know what the draft is all about"

8. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

No I am not kidding you! I actually have different opinions than you, that actually happens.

We might, might be set at OLB, but we are definitely not set at ILB. This defense requires a lot of LBers. Seeing as we lost Vilma and Hobson, and Chatham and Kassel really suck we need at least another ILB, nevermind depth. Yes David Harris is fantastic, but Barton is slowing down and the other guys suck. I don't give a shit who we took at 6, you need a lot of LBers for this defense. It's not like there's only 1 LB on the field at a time.

Could have drafted O-line with the other 4th rounder we coughed up.

I would have taken a LB, DE, WR, CB before a TE. Taking a guard in the 2nd or trading further back in the 2nd to take a guard would not have bothered me. It really wouldn't have. I believe this game is won in the trenches. The better, the stronger, the more depth you have on the lines is what makes better teams. I can't even judge the skill guys on our roster right now because our line was so bad and dysfunctional last year. Faneca was a great signing, but he is in his 30s, and I think Woody is a bumb.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You know what, you're right. He is a heavy WR. Put a WR label next to his name, and you're looking at a 6'2", 245 guy with good speed and hands for that size. Now tell me, if you can get a guy of that size who can run, catch, and be athletic, would you be happy? Now you can also move him inside to play TE when you need him, or you can leave him outside. Now what do you think of the pick?

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If you're going to say that all our backup linebackers suck, and that our new RT sucks, then you might think differently. Obviously the FO thinks differently. They didn't pay Woody that much money to suck, and either way, unless he's beyond terrible, he'll be better than Clement. Kassell and Chatham are not great, but behind Harris, Barton, and even Pace on the inside, we're more set than you think inside.

I like that you want to build in the trenches, but this kid adds a weapon we don't have in our offense. I don't like that we traded up to get him, I wish we could have kept our other 4th and gotten a better backup lineman, but obviously they think Keller is that good. I can't wait to see Keller in the offense to see how he fits in. I don't want to set hopes too high on him as a rookie, but I am very intrigued.

11. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

Good post. I'll admit that I'm not as much of a pessimist as I sound like. Deep down I am hoping all these guys work out. I agree with you about not liking the move to trade up. That's my main point, is I felt it was a stretch for our team. I always want the Jets to win so obviously I want Keller to excel and be a great player now that he's on the team, I just didn't agree with the move.

Believe me, I hope Woody locks down the RT spot, that would be great. Being better than Clement was last year isn't saying anything at all, especially not for the millions Woody got.

Being a longtime fan of the Jets causes you to sort of expect things to go wrong. It's bad I know. After free agency I was excited. Wow, on paper we should be a lot better... wait a minute, this is the Jets, what's gonna go wrong? Something has to. It's like Pace... the best season he has ever had was only 6 sacks. What I am getting all excited about? Bryan Thomas has had a better year and we all know what a bumb he is.

Who knows maybe BT will wake up? Maybe Pace will be a monster. Maybe this TE will give us Gonzales like production. I hope so. It's been 40 years.

12. mphtrilogy

mphtrilogy New Member

uh I think I'll wait to see him on the field to make this call

13. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

This thread shows who watches College football and who doesn't. Unreal with the pre-judgments.

14. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

At least in recent years, TEs in the first round have a tendency to not bust. Out of 11, only two have performed under expectations (Jeremy Stevens and Anthony Becht). Personally, I think this bodes well for us. I personally think he's going to bring something to the position that no one in the league will.

One of the problems with this offense the last few years has been the lack of throwing down the middle. Defenses generally pinch at the corners and leave the middle more open since we don't have a TE that can get open. This pick will help Pennington and Clemens in that we'll have some easier throws down the middle (much more direct) and thus make some corners play off the receivers a bit, opening up some opportunities for easy slants and WR screens. Heck, it'll even help with our runs to the outside since more defenders have to stay in the middle.

15. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Wow...it's obvious the opinions on Keller are mixed with pre-judgments and negative thoughts, to praise and excitement to see what this kid can do.

But why the jump? It's something I don't get. Obviously none of us are near the draft board of the NYJ FO, but was Keller that much of a steal that we had to give up picks to get him? He wasn't going to slip 6 fucking spots? I just think it was a sense of dissapointment for fans when they see the JETS have made a move up and announce taking a TE. There were still some solid receivers and CB's on the board. And by receivers, I mean, sub 4.5 WR's and tough CB's. I don't know if Revis got help on the other side from Lowery. I hope he ends up being tough for us.

We'll see...

16. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

I am eating crow right now.

17. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Is it better with or without salt?

I have mines with hot sauce, although for me it was utilizing him that I thought they couldn't do more than his actual talent.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

awesome ...

19. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Haha nice to own up to it.

Now, it's BradwaySucks' turn -- I guess we're in that 20% this year.

20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

You posted at the exact same time I did! Guess we're on the same page.