Lowry was only weak pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Apr 27, 2008.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

IMO the jets had a decent draft
    1. gholston was an obvious pick--could be best player in draft
    1.. keller was an ok pick, although I didn't see the need to move up to get him--don't think for a minute that the jets were not sending baker a message--I don't Chris Baker has done much lately anyway.
    4. Lowry pick bothered me--He is a zone corner who struggles in man to man. I thought we wanted to play more man coverage now that we had revis. Still think we should have gone OL.
    5. Ainge was good value pick at END of 5th round. Godd height, and 31-10 TD/INT at major college program
    6. Henry was good pick in 6th. About time the jets tried to use a bigger WR after years of smurfs.
    7. Never heard of our 7th round pick, but is there such thing as a bad 7th round pick?
    Getting rid of Vilma and DRob in our defense is addition by subtraction. Jenkins should be considered in any draft review.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Dwight Lowery's versatility makes him a very good pick. He can play either safety or cornerback. He can also return kicks and punts.

This kid just flat out makes plays: Lowery scored on a punt return, kick return, blocked punt, blocked field goal, and on at least one interception return.

Tannenbaum likes the fact that he knows how to intercept passes.

Lowery was a good pick with Branch and King gone.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

"Lowery is the only pick I hadn't heard of and that means we overdrafted him."

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That's what I got from this thread too.

5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i think the saints had interest in kellen..so i think thats why we moved up

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Seahawks, Giants, and Saints had interest in Keller. It was a great pick...very good value. There's a reason why those receivers fell behind Donnie Avery and slid into Round 2.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

1a. Gholsten was the pick if we don't trade down
    1b. The Keller pick was not ok and trading up for him made the pick worse on many levels.
    4. Lowry belongs on a cover two team. If he is a safety prospect there were beter ones available.
    5. Ainge was a decent pick, day two QBs have a lot of upside
    6. Henry could surprise but there was better value there
    7. If you never heard of a player that is a sign that it was a bad pick

8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

im pretty happy with the pick.

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I disagree I think upon review that if Lowry transitions to safety he will be our ballhawk opposite Rhodes. Also i think if he is taught how to "loosen the hips" in twist and go, he can be a stud cb, right out of the gate, i expect him to be our nickel Cb our our starting FS by mid season...

10. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

you were being sarcastic right??

11. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

im excited to hear the concensus that Lowery is a ballhawk.

however, the reports say he's not a good tackler, and if so, wouldn't that make him a liability at Safety?

12. Jetkid94

Jetkid94 Banned

Lowry is a ballhawk. he led the NCAA in INT in his junior year. He didnt do as well last year, and he was recovering form a broken jaw.

13. Gang Greener

Gang Greener Member

i actually like Lowry..hes a ball hawk..what could possibly be wrong with that? if we have him at CB he will be the nickle guy so yeah..

his weaknesses are easily fixable..just wait till training camp

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

1a. It's Gholston, and he was the right choice with McFadden gone.

1b. Dustin Keller was arguably the best receiver in this draft. There's a fucking reason why Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas, and DeSean Jackson slid way into Round 2 and were drafted behind 1. Dustin Keller and 2. Donnie Avery. We also got that pick back from the Packers later in the draft, which makes the move ever better, so shut the fuck up about it already. You have no idea what you're talking about.

4. It's Lowery. He may fit best in a Cover 2 scheme, but he's a Jet now, and he's most likely going to play safety. There weren't any safety prospects available that were better than Dwight Lowery, according to the Jets' staff. They would've taken someone else if Lowery wasn't the highest ranked guy on their board.

5. Erik Ainge was brought in to compete, and maybe that will light a fire under Kellen Clemens.

6. Again with the "better value" comment. No one on the Jets' draft board was better than Marcus Henry, or they wouldn't have drafted him. He's got great size, and he was dominant on a very good Kansas team this year.

7. "If you've never heard of a player that is a sign that it was a bad pick". Are you fucking kidding me? I don't even have to say anything because this is idiocy at it's best.

15. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Over the next 4 years, Lowery will likely be among the top 3 on the Jets in interceptions, if not higher. If you want the definition of ballhawk, Lowery is it, and is exactly what the Jets need.

give him time, he will develop. Most likely a safety.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You know this is one of the few things I agree with you on. I've constantly told you that the only thing good about San Jose State is Dwight Lowery...

17. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

I cringed as I watched Branch and King fly off the board right before the Jets' 4th round pick. I have no doubt either of these guys would have been the pick. Just an extremely unlucky situation.

That said, I don't know much about Lowery and hope his ball-hawking skills show themselves early and often!

18. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Lowery is a very good pick -- there is no one else that had 13 interceptions in his first two years of college play, and 13 interceptions in his third and forth years of college play.

This guy is being called a ball hawk because he intercepts the ball a helluva lot. He may not be a track star. You may be able to look at the tape and point out some technical flaws. But Lowery catches the ball more often than his opponent does.

In football, that is the object -- not the technique. I see a lot of these so called DBs who can run 4.35 and they have three interceptions their entire college career. They are track stars or ballet dancers, not defensive backs.

I also have seen enough tape on Lowery to know that the guy is not afraid of kicking ass when he tackles. Whoever said that he doesn't hit just hasn't seen enough tape.

Lowery has demonstrated a stunning propensity for interceptions -- let's see if we can't improve his technique so he can have ten interceptions for the NYJs next year.

I think that's a worthy development project.

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hey, remember in 2004 when we traded up about five spots to get a safety in the 4th round and most said there were better guys available and we shouldn't have made the move to get him?...

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I still don't know who Kerry Rhodes is...