Rate our Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 27, 2008.

?

Rate our Draft

1. A+

4.2%
  2. A

1.3%
  3. A-

6.7%
  4. B+

28.3%
  5. B

27.9%
  6. B-

17.9%
  7. C+

5.0%
  8. C

3.3%
  9. C-

2.5%
  10. D or lower

2.9%
  1. nyj55

nyj55 Member

i think it is keller who is the make or break pick this year, not Gholston. From what i hear this kid can be an immediate star A LA one David Harris

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

B+

We address a huge need in the first, spiced up our offense with the next pick, and filled in some holes with the rest.

Overall, a decent draft. I'm pretty confident most of our picks will contribute positively.

3. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I chose a solid A. I really like almost every guy we got. As said before, this draft is overall very boom or bust. However, we got all guys who I think should succeed in time and managed to get guys at positions of need. We got the best pass rusher in the draft, potentially the best reciever in the draft (just look at Keller's highlights), a ballhawking CB/S, a late round QB with a ton of potential, a tall red zone WR, and one of the guys who opened up holes for the best rushing attack in the country this past year.

My only gripe is that considering who was on the board, I might have gone in a different direction than Ainge. Like I said, I love Ainge as a prospect and I think that if they're not 100% sold on Clemens it's a great pick, but I liked some of the other guys still on the board.

4. GallopingGholston

GallopingGholston New Member

I gave it a B+, We got more help on the pass rush with Gholston and I like the Keller pick.

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the draft, gave it a B+ for a draft.
    At six as long as one of the following was available I was going to be happy, Gholston, Chris Long, McFadden. Long and Mcfadden were gone and I was very happy with Gholston.
    I really like the Keller pick. It was a weak WR class class this year, deep but really no game breakers and I think Keller was as good as any WR on the board and makes our current WR's better with the middle threat that Keller gives us. He reminds me of Richard Caster at tight end, but with better hands.

Lowery, I don't think he'll cut it as a CB but I could see him becoming FS and I think he has a good shot at sticking on the team as a Safety, good hands good ball instincts, but not the cover skills for a CB.

Ainge is a safe QB pick, good value in the slot, at worst a backup QB at best a quality starting QB.

Henry is a typical 6th round pick, he may stick he may get cut he may wind up on the practice squad. Chances are he wont' make much of a difference but he has the raw materials to make a good possesion receiver, whether or not he reaches that potential is another matter.

Nate Garner is a good project T good size, good run blocking, if nothing else gives some O-Line depth, pretty in-experienced could be a jewel in the rough but more likely will a backup and nothing more

The point is that most of the 2nd day picks arent' safe picks, which I actually like in the draft unless you absolutely need stick, but most of the picks have a high upside so they have the potential to be gold. of the second day picks the one I think is most likely to turn into gold is Lowery as a Safety. I can see him as a real ball hawk.

Of course they could all tank too. But I'm very confident that we'll get atleast 3 starters or part time starters out of this draft.

6. OSUJetFan89

OSUJetFan89 New Member

I'm pretty happy with this draft, a lot of boom or bust picks, Ainge looks like penny 2.0, so we need to wait till they get on the field to draw any conclusions

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I said a B+ but nobody really knows.

If Gholston does pan out he will make the draft a huge success - even if the rest of the picks all bust. With the D help we brought in up front there is no good reason Gholston shouldn't pan out.

And then who is going to block Harris....

and then our defense will be so far ahead of last year none of us will reconize it. It will be a blast....

If Gholston pans out.

8. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

C+ at best

Heading out to movies or Id spent more time explaining myself I like the 1st pick and the 4th and 5th the 2nd could be ok but I think we moved up when we didnt need to

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I can't rate a draft based on speculation on what players who have never played in the NFL before are going to do.

10. 7 to Shea

7 to Shea Member

I rated our draft a C.

There's too many boom/bust. Not a single pick made me jump off the couch with excitement. I do like the fact that our QBs might have larger targets - - if they make it on the field.

Gholston needs to start from Day 1 and be on the highlight reel every week. He must make his presence felt either thru his own stats (sacks, TFL, TOs, Passes Knocked Down) - or thru the same stats of Ellis, Pace, Thomas, etc.

Keller should be solid if they throw the ball too him. From what I'm reading he sounds like a taller, larger Wes Welker (if we're lucky).

Dwight Lowery sounds like a major reach. This is where Tangini/Bradway/Clinckscales earn our respect. I hope they are right. If so, we have the makings of a dynamic defensive backfield.

Ainge has experience, poise and brains - sounds alot like a 6'6" Pennington. Solid value.

Harvey is a big target. he seems to lacking breakaway speed but knows how to create separation. Good hands and no fear of going over the middle. Again, solid value if he makes it on the field other that ST.

Garner should be the short yardage/goal line FB. Seriously, who knows? Maybe Coach Callahan sees something in this guy.

#30 7 to Shea, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I said C-

The biggest thing about evaluating a draft is looking at the guys that teams passed up where they picked. I just can't get over the Keller selection with the talent available at CB, WR, S, QB, and other positions where we picked. Even though the fourth rounder isn't worth all that much for the move up (the trade itself made sense), taking Keller at our spot means that we didn't make the mistake of pasing up Phillips, Flowers, or Thomas. Because those players were available to us at # 30, the risk we took in Keller was more significant. Even at our own spot we could have had Porter, Sweed, Brohm, Henne, and other players. Hell, we could have traded down, recouped a third rounder and still gotten any of those four guys except for Porter.

Also, I don't see one selection we made that made me think, we totally stole that guy, I thought he would have gone a round earlier.

12. Nomad

Nomad Member

I gave it a B-. I liked Gholston but thought we should have stood where we were in the second and get Hardy, but hopefully Keller turns out well he has the potential to. Lowery might make a decent FS maybe a dime back so he could be ok, but I would have rather had Dre Moore, Tony Hills or Jonathon Goff. Why bother with Ainge? Think Rubin would have been a better pick here. Henry and Garner could be nice prospects down the road.

13. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

i've heard some complaints about this draft, yet only 3 people voted d or lower, did you guys not vote or do you just like to bitch?
    i voted b-

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I am thrilled with Gholston. The Keller pick surprised me, but people wanted a playmaker and that is what he supposedly is. I'll wait on him.

I was not happy with the middle round picks. Lowry doesn't impress me. I don't see the point in drafting Ainge with two QBs on the roster already. Harvey could be a surprise. I'm tired of the Jets waiting until the 7th round to address the OL. I would have liked a LB and a guard in the middle rounds rather than a CB and a QB.

I'll give it a B, with Keller being the key.

15. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

I'm one of 4 people (so far) who think this was a D or lower?
    Inconceivable!

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

um incomplete, none of them have played a down of NFL football yet. On paper i liked it though.

17. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

Your just a negative miserable fan.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You have to understand that we have had some truly horrendous drafts in our past. If we don't reach badly in round one that counts for something. I think C- is a fair grade considering that Gholsten is arguably BAP at 6 even if we could have done more with the pick IMHO.

19. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

they wanted gholston

20. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I don't see one bad pick...

Enlighten me, please.