Worst Draft Ever

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we drafted the best player available instead of thinking we're smarter than everyone else. Welcome Vernon.*(footnote, geniuses) Good luck. Blah Blah blah.
    I still feel like we should have traded down and got more of what we needed (an offense?) instead of putting more big-money cap space on the defense after spending what we've spent this offseason.
    Quarterback situation is still in shambles and Ainge is like a Brooks Bollinger.
    Whoopdeedoo!
    That RT position scares the shit out of me. I'm as confident with Damien Woody as I was with the Mets having Delgado on 1b heading into spring training. I expect that will be the next year's draft priority when we discover that there are FIVE guys on the offensive line and Faneca is only ONE (elder) man.
    I LOVE Chris Baker, and we're playing pussyfoot with him. How's this for a screwjob? EVERYONE but Baker got what they wanted. Coles cried and got a blankie. Did Baker not cry loud enough?
    And then giving up ANY pick to draft ANOTHER TE?! Do the names Mitchell, Brady, Becht mean NOTHING to the FO? Are they too young to remember?
    Not only do we give up a draft pick (that we surely needed) to draft a TE, but we take a "WR-TE hybrid" whatever the hell that is. How 'bout getting a TRUE WR or a TRUE TE. Are we that secure in any area where we can gamble on a hybrid-anything?
    I hate giving up draft picks for a group of question marks, when the depth chart still looks dismal.

If we're going to lose this many draft picks in future drafts, I want a star who scores points in return. Points are what we need to win games, not more defensive projects. A franchise qb would have been nice with everything we spent this year, in terms of money and picks. Yesterday had to have been one of the happiest days in young Kellen's life. Oh, we're real confident in the field generals on our team.
    This draft sucked in theory. In execution. And most likely when it comes to fruition. Usually we have great drafts in theory and execution. It's the fruition part where we usually get tripped up and this year will be a mulligan when we look back in three-four years.

*Vernon Gholston needs to ADJUST to a 3-4 or play an unnatural position. Vilma couldn't do it. Should I expect to see Gholston in another uniform someday and we get another second day pick for our trouble?

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...Erik Ainge is nothing like Brooks Bollinger. I stopped reading this garbage post as soon as I saw that.

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Lookout... Here comes the stampede of sheep....

Smile, nod and agree....

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

What do Becht, Mitchell, Brady and any other TE have to do with Keller? Look at the archives I'm sure you will find much much worse drafts than this. Oh BTW ESPN said the Jets had the best 1st day...... I assume that means nothing.

5. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

This is the stupidest thread yet, and to be at the top is really really hard.

Typical Met Fan. :mad:

6. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

go fucking kill yourself you miserable fuck. can we please back our fucking team for once. do you think you really know more than our FO office when it comes to football??? I wish the negative deush bags could go jump off a fucking bridge this team is only going forward and the fact that you don't believe and you have no faith makes you a shitty bullshit fan.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I agree. Worst draft ever. Not just by the Jets, but by any team all time in any sport.

8. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I agree with you on Woody. And my only concern with TE is that we have never really used to TE as an offensive weapon. That said, I imagine trading up into the first round to get him means that we will finally design pass plays with the TE in mind.

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I liked the BPA pick with Gholston, even though I'm not a fan. From there on we didn't address the greatest issues in the right order or not at all.
    Biggest miss out was not drafting another MLB.

10. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

I'll say this. The Jets' got a few players. Gholston is a player & Keller will help out. Day 2 was a complete mess. The WR & CB...hope they pan out. Ainge was a wasted pick, should or could have went OL/DL.

Jets' {Tangini} as a whole don't understand about building a team. They should have the Giants help them or hire a footballman with a championship background to help them build. This is Tangini's 3rd draft & OL & DL's haven't been bult yet. That is sorta rediculous to me. OL & DL's are the foundations & backbones of a football team. The Jets' are always shortchanging themselves & the Jets' fans.

Did anybody notice how many OL & DL players that Parcells & Dolphins drafted ? By the time the Jets' maybe ready to contend, Faneca will be ready to retire. The Jets' braintrust is not too brainy. They think there smarter than everybody else & it seems to prove out that there not. :breakdance:

11. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Like I keep pointing out, they traded down in the 4th and picked up a 5th. So they ended up with the same number of draft picks they went in with - 6. And the 3rd was used on a starting NT - Jenkins. How did we just give away picks?

As for Keller, the guy can play WR, TE, or H back. Watch his film, he makes plays and is hard to take down. He is alot like Clark from Indy (who is really a WR/TE hybrid also). We needed a playmaker on offense, they got the best receiver available (there is a reason the TRUE WR fell so much). How is this bad?

I will agree on the OL. The right side and depth are still bad.

#11 dabrowsk1, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  12. Beamen

Beamen New Member

ESPN's Todd McShay also listed the Jets as one of the draft's "Losers" so let's not put too much stock into what ESPN says either way...

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, and Barkum and Shuler were good tight end selections by the Jets.
    All those picks were made long ago. Just because Mitchell and the two stiffs didn't work out, doesn't mean the Jets should avoid drafting TEs till the end of time.

The Colts drafted QBs like Art Schlicter, John Elway (who they had to trade), and Jeff George, but did that stop them from drafting Peyton Manning?

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

vernon gholston was the correct move.there were no playmakers on offense to take in the spots we might have landed in if we traded down.keller was rated higher than any wr in the draft with better hands and comparable speed so thats a nice pick.lowery will be starting next to rhodes after the bye.another 4th round gem.ainge will be 2nd string in 09 when cp leaves.henry's a wild card and the tackle is a 7th round project i'd say all and all good draft 3 starters and a nice qb prospect.way to be the stereotypical jet fan there doc.

15. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

A lot of your concerns are valid. However, we hardly gave up any draft picks. We went into the draft with 6 picks and left with 6 picks. Our early 4th rounder turned into a late 5th rounder. If that swap is what our entire draft hinges on then maybe this really was the worst draft ever.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Worst Post Ever

You're a fucking idiot.

17. JetsLookingforDWare

Iunno how I'm going to argue this one. Some hardcore knowledge was just spit at me at lightning speed.

Too many accurate facts:

1. Good point about Gholston making the position change. Who cares that almost all 3-4 OLB's were college DE's.

2. Vilma and Gholston are very similar players with very similar size issues.

3. We sank alot of money into our D this year with Pace.

4. We DIDN'T sink enough money into our offense with Faneca and Woody.

5. Chris Baker is LOVED.

6. TE's suck, and our 3 picks under 3 different coaches many years ago should mean never draft a first round TE.

7. Our FO is too young and stupid to know #6 (or any of these).

8. We gave away a ton of future picks.

18. riggo1

riggo1 New Member

I think the worst draft ever was when my Uncle Pete got shipped off to Vietnam. But that's another story.

I think anyone who judges a draft the minute it's completed, based on their own limited knowledge and the so-called "wisdom" of draft gurus is an idiot.

19. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

What "future picks" did we give away? We have 8-9 picks next year.

Or was this sarcasm? Getting to hard to tell on this board.

20. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Todd McShay basically says the opposite of MR. Hairjob so they can dogfight to boost ratings. McShay has shown about as much feel for real football as a Vegan has for judging a good Kansas City Strip steak...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.