"Keller" is short for "NE-Killer". That simple.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

"Keller" is short for "NE-Killer". It gets no simpler than that.

Name a single offensive player in the draft that would give NE more fits than "Keller Keller the NE-Killer".

NE is thin at DB and getting old at LB/S. Keller has the speed, strength, and height to get off the line, run the seam, slant or over the middle from anywhere in the formation, and then out-jump/muscle any NE LB/DB/S. And then tack on another 10 yards for good measure.

Think "David Tyree (sp) vs Rodney Harrision"

Think the Giants backup TE (name?) running a 30yd slant/seem in the SB after the catch.

This guy alone could force NE into a cover 2. Then add coles, crotch, stucky/smith.

No LB/S on the NE squad can run with this guy. coverage nightmares ALL DAY LONG. Keller will DEMAND double teams every snap. Keller alone takes Bruschi and Harrision out of every play.

Somewhere far off, I think I heard Thomas Jones say "thank you, thank you, thank you".

There. I feel better.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well as happy as I am going to be if Keller really is the NE killer, I would prefer it if we didnt just draft to beat the Pats. Cuz I would rather lose to the Pats twice a season and go to the AFC championship game betting we can out smart them, than being only able to sweep the Pats and go 2-14.....

Now honestly there is no way in hell we go 2-14 with our only two wins coming against the hated Patriots... I'm pretty sure we could at least split with the Dolphins! :lol:

3. Footballgod214

We cant win the afce unless ne loses it.

winning our head to head match ups with ne will go a LONG WAY towards making that happen.

we wont win anything (and neither will any other team) until we can win against ne. keller give the jets the best o-player in the draft to beat the pats.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why does everybody think this guy is tall? He's 6'2". Not even tall as a true receiver much less a TE, H-back or whatever the hell he is.

5. Footballgod214

read somewhere that he had the highest verticle leap of anyone. maybe he has 'game height'!

6. indy35

indy35 New Member

keller is a dallas clark clone, as a colts fan and a current purdue student I have had the pleasure of watching both players in nearly every game they have played in. I think keller will eventually end up being better than clark. Keller is a little bit faster, but he is much stronger. if you watch any of keller's college highlights, you will notice the first guy never brings him down. Clark always gives the pats fits, and i can definitely see keller doing the same thing.

7. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Don Do the Jets even have a 6'2'' reciever/TE on the team? I don't believe they do, so 6'2'' is a definite upgrade in that regard...

8. Don

Ok...that I'll buy.

9. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

You talk about how NE is old and aging and act as if this one player is going to single handedly destroy the NE defense. Well guess what? New England doesn't trade up to get starters, with over 1/4 of their starting lineup coming from rounds 3 onwards.

And how many 3rd round picks do they have this year you might ask? 3!!!

I sat on this pick overnight and thought about it and although Keller looks like a playmaker, I'm becoming a bit nervous about this FOs tendency to trade up for players leaving them thin each year with the overall number of draft picks.

I know you are all going to say "quality over quantity" but the point I'm making is that there is genuine quality in the later rounds and we continue to give those picks away. For every trade we make to get a David Harris we can sit tight and get a Leon Washington (4th) or Kerry Rhodes (another 4th).

10. Footballgod214

goal: win the sb
    but first, gotta win the afc
    but first, gotta win the afce
    but first, gotta beat ne.

no other player in the draft (picking at 30) gives the jets a better chance to beat ne than keller does. then onto the afce, afc, sb.

11. Don

Oh, for sure he is if he has been drafted to be a true receiver but if he has been drafted to be a TE then he is short. Baker is 6'3" and Franks is 6'6". If he is to be a H-back then we have nothing on this team to compare him to.

12. Footballgod214

#12 Footballgod214, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  13. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

Yes I understand the positives that he brings to this team FBGod no question there are some there. Having said that, my doubt lies in the fact that I just don't think that these positives in Keller warrants trading up to get them. I think there was still value to be found at 36 (honestly, look back at round two and take your choice) while keeping that late fourth for another possible great player.

The problem with trading up like I was saying is that you are essentially saying, "This player is so good he's worth giving up a potential starter/solid contributor in the later rounds" My concern is that Keller did not warrant giving up more draft picks in a year that we didn't have so many to begin with.

14. Footballgod214

i hear ya chadtrust. i can't really justify trading up. i was only trying to put a spin on keller that must have been in tanny's head as well.

tanny must have looked at the guy we could get at 36 plus the guy we had slated for our 4th round pic and decided that keller adds up to more in terms of beating ne, our first step in reaching the sb.

15. Footballgod214

there's another thread asking if shockey for #2/#4 would have been better than keller, so we can skip that here.

so far, no one has suggested a player at #30 that would be more disruptive to NE than keller will be.

keller's strenghts attack the pat's biggest weakness: slow, old lb's and safties.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

There's no guarantee of that. There's no guarantee that the guy we move up for will pan out either, but so far they seem to be pretty good at evaluating draft talent.

As mentioned in another thread, the Pats had 9 picks last draft and one made the roster. Granted it's probably a little harder to crack their line-up, but I think they would rather have had 4 picks and gotten 2 starters and potential All Pro's then cut 8 out of 9 guys as TC fodder. They're not done yet either, got another day to go here. Who knows what kind of gems they could dig up in the late rounds this year.

17. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Keller was measured at 6'3 at the combine.............

18. ShutEmDownRevis

ShutEmDownRevis New Member

Mayo could cover him? Adalius Thomas?

19. Footballgod214

mayo maybe, but he won't start right away.

adalius thomas? thankyou. you just proved my point. drafting keller just nuteralized ne's best LB weapon, and probably more. keller is faster than thomas, and will demand safety help on third downs. that's at least one, maybe two of NE's best players who won't be tackling thomas jones or sacking cp/kc.

20. ShutEmDownRevis

ShutEmDownRevis New Member

Well we'll see... I like what I've seen in highlight reel footage but I've read a lot of negatives too about Keller (including his receiving game).

I would hold off on saying that he's gonna own Adalius Thomas until we see what he does at the pro level.

Personally I just wish he had a little more height.