Dustin Keller = BUST (merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Just breaking your stones, RM.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Funny to hear comparisons to Baker. The Jets coaching staff sees baker day in and day out from TC to the end of the season. If the two were even CLOSE to equal in skill, why the hell would they not only TAKE a TE in the draft, but give up picks to move up for him?

Give'em a little more credit then that.

3. theanalogkid

theanalogkid New Member

I don't post here much, but this thread is ridiculous. Look at all the younger QBs in the league, and guess what they had a receiving TE who can stretch the field.

Rothlisberger - Miller
    Eli Manning - Shockey
    Romo - Witten
    Rivers - Gates
    Anderson - Winslow

What does Clemens have, Chris Baker? (Whether or not he starts is irrelevant, it's a possibility, and Pennington benefits if he start too) Oooohhhhh wow, that's really a big threat out there. Oh wait, he isn't. He may have decent hands, but he's slow, and no one is going to bother to double team him for any reason at all.

This guy is fast, he can stretch the field, and he's a big red zone target, something the Jets have been lacking for years now. The FO didn't do so bad when they traded up for Revis and Harris last year, because they got 2 quality guys, so I'm apt to trust this pick. He wasn't going to be there at 36, the Giants could have taken him, and the Seahawks were going to.

Oh and BTW, your comparison is full fallacious reasoning. Just because all the other Jets TEs to be drafted in the 1st round sucked, does not mean this one will too. It's not the same people doing the draft.

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

See... now whats sad... is you will go back to not posting... stick around

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You should definitely post more. But honestly, I had dismissed this thread the moment I read the title. Threads posted out of childish anger are usually ridiculous.

6. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

well said...

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can accomplish this with a tall or fast WR or a combination of both with a WR (see Drew Brees) and still have the pick that we traded away at that spot since we had plenty of options that fell right to our laps.

8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Great post.... I feel as you do, Revis and Harris were studs and I have faith that Tangini know what they are doing. I just look at it this way, the FO has had great success with the guys they have taken in the early rounds except Clemmens and I think with an OL he will be a good QB.

Brick: Great rookie year but fell off last year but with an All Pro G next to him I suspect Brick is going to have a monster year

Mangold: One of the best 3 or 4 centers in the league

Clemmens: Jury still out

Revis: Already a shut down CB

Harris: Will be an All Pro maybe as soon as this year

9. Does a guy named John Riggins ring a bell?

Frankly...H back WAS a need as it is a crucial position in our offense. Additionally, as ive stated a MILLION times before..you dont draft solely on need. This was ALSO a value pick...the consensus was Keller was a # 25-30type prospect.

10. JetsLookingforDWare

WTF kind of logic was applied by the OP?

[​IMG]

11. First of all...Brad Smith has done alot of good things for this team in his short time here. Thats saying something considering he was drafted as a long developmental type of guy. Everyone is hellbent on his struggles late in the year, but they forget the dimension he gave our offense his rookie year.

As for the comparrision between Smith and Keller's draft day projections? Smith projected as a WR/QB athlete type capable of YAC and gadget plays, while also having the size to make plays in the air.

Keller is projected as an H back..which is not a "Slash" position..but rather a primarily motioning type spot that combines the role of full back and tight end. His job will be to attack the slots and the flat w/ his size and speed, to keep the chains moving and make plays in the red zone.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Riggins wasn't an H-back, though. The Redskins base offense featured one running back and two tight ends. The second tight end was used as an H-back most of the time.
    Rick Walker, Don Warren, and Clint Didier alternated at H-back during the Riggins years.
    Later, in the days of The Posse, Art Monk occasionally would see time as an H-back due to his impressive blocking abilities.

13. Gator

Gator Active Member

I like the pick for two reasons. One, with this guy in the slot and Cotch and Coles outside, Jets will have bruisers at WR and TE. They don't have height or ridiculous speed, so they mght as well beat the living crap out of people. Secondly, I saw this guy interviewed, and he doesn't have giant diamond earings like my grandmother wears. Know why?....because he's a man. I'm so sick of these guys with the giant diamond earings. Someone should tell the guys that wear em that they look like chicks. If this guy goes out and gets them after the signing bonus, I'm gonna be mad....but I don't think he will.

Seriously, Jets brought in a lot of toughness this offseason.

14. MizzouJet

MizzouJet Well-Known Member

Keller's going to be a stud.

Got enough speed/size to make matchups difficult, and will take some heat off of Coles/Cotch.

With a better OL, maybe we don't need to keep a TE in to block every down.

15. Alright..so there ya go...Art Monk.

16. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

After looking at Dallas Clark's numbers you are probably pretty accurate with that comparisons however if you go by career he will have worse stats than Baker had. And you expect a rookie to improve on that right away? I brought up Smith not because he didn't do things for us, as a special teamer he did very well, however his overall impact on the offense was much less that what we were hyping him up to be and right now he is still way too raw for that potential that we are counting on. And now to tie it back to Keller, Dallas Clark wasn't the number 3 option until just this year, there were even a couple of years where he wasn't the top TE on the team, but now you are expecting this kid to be our "3rd WR" just like that? The NFL ain't that easy especially trying to utilize a new position properly for the 1st time.

17. jetbugga

jetbugga Member

i mean, what if we cut franks after tc. baker may have a chance to get the money and everyones happy.

18. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

keller is not fat and clumsy like brady and he's not pretty enough to be a model like johnny mitchell and he is not semi retarded like becht, think of keller as a chris cooley kellen winslow hybrid

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Ok.....We Shall see.

20. allan1

allan1 Active Member

So by this logic, the San Francisco 49ers should not have drafted Joe Montana because Scott Bull, Tom Owen, Dennis Morrison, Joe Reed, and Steve Spurrier did not work out. Obviously we haven't had much success drafting QB's...so let's stop altogether!