Dustin Keller, our new TE- Welcome to New York

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by notjustQBs, Apr 26, 2008.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Watching the videos, I definitely think this guy will see more time as a 3rd WR than he will a TE. I keep seeing him as Colston-esque. He'll be the 3rd WR & abuse opposing CBs.

2. Roy_Munson

Roy_Munson New Member

STUPID pick!
    Let's see -- we have a good TE that we don't throw to enough ... so we sign another TE ... and THEN, we trade up to draft another one!

Are you kidding me!??!?!

I was so happy w/Gholston ... that happiness was short-lived, I'm afraid.

3. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

The skinny on Keller

His senior year 13.0 yds per catch -7 tds, 68 catches for 881 yds - 80 yarder his longest

Measurables were off the hook for a TE..He was #1 in all catorgories

Career: 142 catches 1882 yds 13.3 16 TDs

4.54 FORTY
    41 vertical ...WHAT!!!
    10 .1 broad jump
    shuttle 20 YDS 3.98
    shuttle 60 YDS 11.74
    3 cone 6.88
    Bench press 26 at 225

His measurables were better then Shockey. Heap, Smith, Winslow Jr, Clarke coming out of college!! Dude is ready comin off the bus...Can you say BEAST??

4. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Reminds me size-wise of Shannon Sharpe.

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

What good TE... Baker... he's average at best... but on this board he's going to the hall of fame...

Most OVER-RATED Player by the GG.com posters award goes to - Chris Baker.

Listen... it's simple, if Baker were that good, we'd use the TE a hell of a lot more, and not the crutch that we like to lean on and blame the O-coordinator and the QB...

6. Not to mention...Keller, Baker, and Franks are ALL different style players. What the HELL is wrong w/ having depth, competition and different skillsets for different situations????

People are WAY too short sighted and dont understand how a depth chart/53 man roster works.

7. zeike

zeike New Member

Pick

The issue isn't the pick. It's that we traded up and essentially threw away a 4th rounder to get a guy who would have been there 6 picks later. Who else was going to draft this guy that forced us to trade up?

I have no problem getting the best TE in the draft, just the wasting of that 4th round pick. Unnecessary.

8. k311

k311 Member

the pic isnt terrible but trading up was absolutely stupid

9. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

He'd most likely be a Giant if we didn't... and obviously the F/O feels differnet than you do

10. I have a strong feeling Parcells was looking at him at# 33. The guy's value was somewhere around 25-30. So it was a good value selection believe it or not.

11. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

RaiderJeaux called and said he did not give you permission to use his schtick. :grin:

12. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Keller Wallpaper...:jets:
    [​IMG]

#192 Jaded Green, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  13. k311

k311 Member

so then we draft someone else, there were plenty of skill players available at that spot. he was worth taking with our next pick, but i dont like giving picks away. and there was no guarantee that the giants would have taken him.

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if theyre looking to trade shockey it was a high possibility their asking price might go down and they had shipped him and draft keller. the saints also were interested in him and the guy was high on alot of peoples draft boards as an overall prospect.

this is very similar to revis and harris. we had a player we wanted and once we felt it was his drafting range we secured the pick.

with all of the offseason acquisitions giviing a 4th rd pick isnt a high price if they use this kid right. furthermore people who argue the value of the 4th rd pick, if its so valueable we still have one to work with so its not that big of a loss. especially if keller works out and i have a strong feeling he will.

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Keller's numbers won't be much different from Baker's

16. JetsLookingforDWare

Dude you're ignoring that TE's aren't important. What top offenses have a kickass TE?

17. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Keller's going to be a fucking beast for us. The only reason I never considered him at #36 was because I thought for sure he would be gone to the Seahawks. Definitely one of the best receivers overall in the draft and with his athleticism and strength and some good coaching, he should at worst become an adequate blocker. In the passing game, he's going to make a lot of mismatches and he's also going to be a great red zone threat. He's got incredible body control, hands, and leaping ability to go with his adequate size and WR speed.

I absolutely love the trade and the pick. He's gone to the Giants at #31 if we don't trade up, if not to another team before #36.

18. JetsLag2

JetsLag2 New Member

San Diego, NE, Indy????

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If we got someone who was on TGG members own personal board, then this bickering wouldn't be happening. A guy like Curtis Lofton, James Hardy, etc. We move up to get them, everyone blows Tangini until the season starts- but since this kid was more of an "out of nowhere" pick, most of you hate it.

Let's remember what Schotty does with a decent O-Line and skill players, think back to 06 when Brian Schottenheimer was god- how "ZOMG our new OC is amazing" was he with the schemes and plays. Now add Keller's TE, WR slot threat to that. Remember that word "versatility" that Eric and Mike love so much????? Well, this kid is the definition of it.

Think Dallas Clark, not Becht.

20. Nomad

Nomad Member

I didn't like the pick at first, losing a 4th to move up for a TE blew my mind. But after watching clips and reading about him he seems like he could be a good receiver. I don't like TE's who don't block, that should be part of the job. I also don't like the fact the Jets barely use their TE's as receivers or FB's as blockers. That will have to change or he will have to be a pure WR for this pick to worth it. I now feel neutral on the pick until I see how he is actual used.

I am also a Baker fan, but if he could be traded for something it will also take the sting out of losing a 4th. Some people feel the later picks are fodder to move up, but we still need depth and the mid rounds are where you are going to have a good chance of finding it.