NFL Draft 2008 - Part 2

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Petrozza, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

Tony Richardson???

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Damn Bills got Hardy.

3. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

Yea, he does seem like a Mangini guy. (From Pro Football Weekly) "Great competitor... plays with passion... great work ethic... well conditioned athlete - lives in the weight room"

All of that makes me feel like he'll grow up as a blocker. It sounds like he'll never be a great blocker, but if can improve to the point where his presence on the field does not 100% of the time mean pass play, then we'll be in good shape.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Oh sweet irony, the Buffalo Bills just drafted everyone's boy: James Hardy. Let's hope he never matures, and becomes a headcase/bust.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

lol it's genetics 11 siblings

6. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Hardy... really wanted this guy.

7. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

8. 624

624 Banned

Limas Sweed must be dying...

and boo Hardy :buffaloblows:

9. graig.323

graig.323 Active Member

Let him waste away and freeze his ass off in buffalo. Our guy has some serious intensity...hopefully that doesn't translate to injury on the NFL level

10. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

lol....funny how most mocks had BUF going with WR devin thomas at 11, where in reality they went with CB mckelvin, and then went with one of the "top" WRs of the draft in round 2.....

11. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Once again this FO drafts someone who is clearly the best at their position- Keller. Just Like DBrick (LG), Mangold (C), Revis (CB), Gholston (OLB)... I like their philosophy....

I also like the character guys they go after. If a kid is a punk in college, what is going to happen when he gets a little money in his pocket and gets away from the watchful eye of a college program???

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Hoping the Jets pull a deal tossing baker and a pick next year to move into round 2 now... I would love us to come away with Sweed and Keller, i could even stomach Gholston then...

13. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

1. IF we could combine the strengths of both QB's into one then I wouldnt be worried. We will see just how well the new front line makes Clemmens decision making or adds to the zip on Chad's throws.

2. Much like Keller, Dallas CLark needs the right offense to utilize his strengths. Judging from the past, Schotty needs to add some new dimensions to get the TE position more involved.

3. Bubba Franks is on his last legs, even still he and BAker were more then enough to fill the TE spot.

4. I won't hop into the circle jerk just because everybody else is doing it. Don't you have some finals to study for?

Bottom line is that all Jets fans have the right to question such a left field selection, especially when we traded away a 4th to do it.

14. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

I wish we had a third rounder. I'm so pick needy.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

eddie royal now gone... wild he was a third round guy to me... wacky...

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

JUST WATCH Keller here

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ6FyfHL2o[/youtube]

and heres a conversation with him here at the combine..
    [youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zULN4f_IL1U[/youtube]

THE MOST ATHLETIC player at the NFL combine

17. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

Ladies and gentlemen...Your 2008 New York Work Out Warriors...I admit the youtube vid had me pumped a bit, but a TE is so far from a need it hurts. Unless they turn this guy into a WR there is no reason, and they should have taken a WR in that case. I didn't see the pick, was Brandon Flowers on the board still?

18. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

royal did look pretty good on those highlights right there tho

19. Southpaw1099

Southpaw1099 New Member

Not a huge fan of trading up for Keller. Would have liked a CB, maybe Flowers or Porter, but it's not the end of the world as some people are making it out to be. Baker has voiced his unhappiness and in all likelihood, he will not be a Jet come training camp. Hopefully we will be able to recoup one of the picks we've lost. Look at the Scouts Inc. grade on Keller. Keller we listed as their #1 overall TE and ranked first in speed and separation. I am not saying this information should be accepted as gospel, but I do think it should ease the concerns of those on the fence about the pick. As for the irrational? Well that's just impossible.

All of the Information below has been c/p from ESPN's scouts INC Take on the WR/TE class.

Dustin Keller
    Selected by: New York Jets
    Round: 1
    Pick (Overall): 30(30)
    TE | (6'2", 242, 4.549) | PURDUE
    Scouts Grade: 87

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position(D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
    You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Very athletic pass-catching weapon. Settles into soft spots when reads zone coverage and uses frame to shield defenders from the ball. Flashes the ability to make the tough catch in traffic and has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Lacks ideal explosiveness but changes directions well and runs adequate routes. He will generate yards after catch. Shows a second gear when tracking the ball downfield, knows when to turn back to look for passes and flashes the ability to work the seam. Gets adequate hand placement has a mean streak and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Takes adequate angles to blocks and get into position at the second level. Has experience lining up wide, size can cause matchup problems for corners and is somewhat versatile.

Weaknesses: Is short, lacks ideal bulk for a tight end and can get muscled out of routes by linebackers and safeties. Footwork is inconsistent, takes some false steps and doesn't always get into good position. Doesn't deliver a powerful punch and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Isn't going to make many defenders miss, lacks breakaway speed and isn't much of a big-play threat after the catch. Missed 2005 games with a sprained ankle, played with a broken left hand in 2006 and durability is somewhat of a concern.

Overall: Keller reshirted his first year at Purdue (2003), moving from wide receiver to tight end before his freshman season. He appeared in 33 games (13 starts) in his first three seasons (2004-'06), hauling in 74 receptions for 1,001 yards (13.5 average) and nine touchdowns. As a senior, he hauled in 68 receptions for 881 yards (13.0 average) and seven touchdowns in 13 games (all starts). His receptions per game (5.2) and receiving yards per game (67.8) ranked fourth and fifth, respectively, among the country's tight ends in 2007. Keller missed one game in 2005 because of an ankle injury. Keller is undersized and he will never be a dominant drive blocker. He also will struggle to get off the line at times. However, this converted wide receiver is a playmaking threat in the passing game with the hands, athletic ability and versatility to develop into a quality contributor in the NFL. Teams that like to spread things out more offensively and have use for an H-back type should value Keller in the third round of the 2008 draft.

This was posted on ESPN on 4/24....

Top 10 WR/TE in 2008 Draft
    Player Position School HT WT 40 time Grade
    1. Devin Thomas WR Michigan State 6-1⅞ 216 4.40 92
    2. Limas Sweed WR Texas 6-3⅞ 215 4.55 91
    3. Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma 6-3? 224 4.50 90
    T-4. DeSean Jackson WR Cal 5-9? 169 4.35 89
    T-4. Dustin Keller TE Purdue 6-2 242 4.55 89
    6. James Hardy WR Indiana 6-5⅜ 217 4.49 88
    7. Fred Davis TE USC 6-3 255 4.70 87
    8. Jordy Nelson WR Kansas State 6-2⅝ 217 4.51 86
    9. Mario Manningham WR Michigan 5-11? 181 4.55 85
    T-10. Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech 5-9⅝ 184 4.39 82
    T-10. John Carlson TE Notre Dame 6-5⅛ 251 4.88 82

Vital Skill Sets
    Separation Skills
    The challenge when evaluating a receiver's separation skills is to sift through those potentially deceptive variables, which include his supporting cast, the offensive system in which he plays, the types of defensive coverage and level of competition he faces. While there's no exact formula, some of the key ingredients include recognition skills, initial burst, change-of-direction skills and competitiveness.
    Best in wide receiver class: Devin Thomas, Michigan State.
    Best in tight end class: Dustin Keller, Purdue.

Speed
    Speed is the one skill that can separate the elite from the good. Top-end speed allows receivers to eventually run away from most defensive backs both as route-runners and after the catch.
    Best in wide receiver class: Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State.
    Best in tight end class: Dustin Keller, Purdue.

Dustin Keller and Fred Davis are athletic enough to sneak into the very bottom of the opening round, but are more likely to come off the board early in Round 2.

20. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

Why is everyone pushing Baker out? Everyday there was someone yelling about how underrated Baker was, and now he is nothing? fickle isn't the word.