Don Banks - Snap Judgements

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Apr 23, 2008.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The No. 6 Jets are calibrating every potential move they make with the No. 7 Patriots in mind. These two really don't like each other, and it's not even close to being hype in this case. Under no scenario does New York want to see Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan make it to New England's slot, because Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Eric Mangini knows the Patriots will promptly put their draft slot up for auction and reap a bounty of picks from some quarterback-needy team.

The Jets have even gone so far as to talk with the No. 8 Ravens about what it would cost them to trade up to sixth for Ryan. Anything to keep the Patriots from hitting the jackpot. Hearing that, it kind of leads one to believe the Jets have decided to pass on Ryan, even though they reportedly love him. Then again, they could anticipate having multiple options that they like -- Chris Long or Darren McFadden among them -- and wanted to see how much the Ravens would give up to get their franchise quarterback.

I'll tell you what...I really hope the Jets aren't basing their draft board on what the Patriots do....let them build their team the way they like...and let's worry about our business. I don't like hearing that the Jets will flinch at every Patriot move....that's so counterproductive on so many levels. What do you guys think?

#1 MBGreen, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder if these guys even believe what they write, or even proof-read it for that matter.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I learned a while ago that Don Banks is a fucking idiot.

4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Its so crazy how teams would rather trade up with a perennial contender and controversial management like NE instead of a team like the Jets? Do some coaches still dislike Mangini for what he ''did'' to Belichick?

As far as this story goes, Jets need to worry about themselves first and foremost though and not worry about what the other teams around them do.

5. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Watch out for the Pats ... it is kinda personal.

I posted some similar concerns in a different thread (the one about the Pats trying to get Ty Law signed). If the Pats sign Law as a hold-the-fort guy for 2008 they can put off a CB till a later round.

I think there is a very real dynamic here that goes beyond just the normal draft hijinx. Call it paranoia (it just may be that) but I see the Patriots lining up for a trade and I think they are gonna trade up. I think they are gonna see who falls to the Raiders at #4 and they are gonna make a move to trade above the Jets for one of the potential 3-4 defensive studs, either Gholston or Long...leaving the other to go to the Chiefs.

This scenario is really ugly for a Jets fan as the Pats, Raiders and Chiefs steal all our candy and laugh as we try to shop Matt Ryan(with a trade down) or are forced to swallow Darren Mcfadden.

This scenario allows Belly to get a top 3-4 defensive player, not give up too much and stick it right up Mangini's ass.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

He's not my favourite guy either....but with all this bullshit flying around this week...this is the first theory I read that involved the Jets basing their draft on what the Patriots are gonna do.

I mean..can you imagine being in the war room with the Jets brass on draft day....and the first thing that comes out of Tannenbaum's mouth is "So....what do you guys think the Patriots are gonna do with their pick?".

That would piss me off to no end....worry about your own needs and your own draft board....pick the players that fill the needs on your roster....who gives a fuck what Pioli and his band of cheats are doing. They're picking 7th...chances are, they're gonna get a good player regardless! :shit:

7. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Picking the most exciting prospect in the draft would hardly be "swallowing McFadden." The guy ran up and down on SEC defenses for 3 years. The SEC is BY FAR the best conference in the country and have more NFL ready players than any 2 conferences combined...

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hahaha....man, it doesn't matter if McFadden was christ incarnate.....we're basing our pick on what the Pats are gonna do....chances are, word will get leaked that Ryan Clady is #1 on the Pats board....so he'll be the choice.....and I'll be forced to start a riot of mass proportions in Manhattan.

9. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Exactly, he ran up and down a LSU defense that was one of the best defenses college football's seen in a while.

10. Jets41815162342

I was a big fan of drafting Reggie Bush and thought he'd be setting a new standard for RB's in the league based on tearing up the college competition...many of his detractors said he was not build to be a primary, between the tackles type back...turns out they were right. Hes been decent but he did not translate as a "runner" into the NFL near as well as expected.

I see a very similar fate for Mcfadden, hes got great body control, game breaking speed and is an all around physical talent, but his skills etc are eerily similar to Bush's and he is not as good a reciever and has some very real character issues. I just dont think he is that good a fit for the Jets and he will not be much of an upgrade over a very talented Leon Washington who also is exceptional running in space. I think we get much better value at RB in the 2nd-4th rounds if we look to groom someone for TJ's backup/heir.

The fans will go nuts if all the big name defensive players are gone and we then pass on Mcfadden and Ryan for a DB or one of the LBs, but those may be better choices for our team.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i'm going to hell for laughing at this...but dude...that's the funniest avatar i've ever seen. :rofl:

12. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I'm not sure I understand it. :)

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I could be wrong...but it looks like a guy who's a little slow wearing a motorcycle helmet. Now i don't make a career out of making fun of slow people...but, the expression on that guy's face is hysterical....i'm still laughing over it.

14. gfsec201

gfsec201 New Member

I totally agree. Gholston is the guy for me. I don't trust Ryan at all and I'd rather try to get a QB or a back later.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. The Jets love Ryan, but will try and trade out of the #6 spot if he is there because that's what the Pats would do if he were there at the 7 spot. Does that cover everything?

Good, I'm gonna go punch myself in the face for a little while now.

16. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

The thing is, Bush was never expected to be a full time back in the NFL, he was expected to be used mostly on screens as a receiver and occassional runs. McFadden is bigger and expected to be a full-time back.

17. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

this is all the media... everyone knew it was gonna be somewhat of a bitter rivalry when mangini came to the jets. then the handshake thing happened and blew it up by 10 times. then the spygate thing and blew it up by 100 times. writers know the teams dont like each other and the fans dont like each other... so anything to get people stirred up is going to get them attention. if you really think the jets are basing their draft plans around the patriots plans... then i dont know what to say.

18. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

On the one hand, its obviously obtuse for the Jets to plan their draft around what the Patriots are doing.

On the other hand, every time I see the Patriots getting Randy Moss for a fourth rounder, or trading a low 20s pick in 07 for the 7th pick in 08, or trading Deion Branch for a first rounder (I believe? could be wrong), I feel a strong urge to kick somebody in the ass. Its like other teams either don't realize that the Patriots are constantly fleecing them, or they dont care. So yes, anything the Patriots can do to rain on the Patriots parade, Im in favor of.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

ive tried several times to start conversations about how ne picking 7th affects our draft board but noooo, everytime i get killed.

folks, the jets CAN'T win the afce unless ne LOSES the afce.

no matter how good a player makes us, if another player makes ne EVEN BETTER, then we will NEVER be more than a wild card team playing on the road.

if there is a player at #6 that ne covets and would put them over the top for the next 5 years, guess who the jets are taking at #6? even if another player may actually help us a tad bit more.

i've used gholsten and dmc as a hypothetical example of how ne can (and will) affect our draft board. say both gholsten and dmc are there at #6. dmc helps us a bit more than gholsten, but ne COVETS gholsten and ne would be UNBEATABLE if they get him. so who do we pick? gholsten, eventhough, in a vacuum, dmc would be a tad bit better pick for the jets.

the ne factor is only one component in our decision making process, but its a component that can be fun to expand upon.

20. Jets41815162342

I dont think its to the extent that the Jets are basing their draft on what the Pats are going to do, they obviously have to consider the potential actions of all teams and how they wil effect the Jets plans. That said, business is not always "just business" and if an organization has a chance to stick it to a competitor/rival they will take it.

I cite the examples of the Pete Kendall situation or more recently the Chad Johnson standoff. These were multimillion dollar "Business" decisions that involved a lot of bad feelings. The Jets lost a good/needed player because of a pissing contest...bad business. The Bengals turned down an insanely good offer from the Skins to spite Chad Johnson...gonna haunt them.

My point, do not underestimate the EGO of these powerful a-holes. If Belly and Co. trade up and grab a guy we have targeted, he could be looking at it as a double win...giving the Jets a good screwjob while getting a Top player.