Who brings Jets more wins in 2008? Long/Gholston or McFadden?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SixteentoSeven, Apr 23, 2008.

1. SixteentoSeven

SixteentoSeven New Member

Interesting question for 2008 only. Not looking beyond 2008 season, does the Def pick of Long or Gholston bring us more victories than taking potential offensive gamebreaker McFadden? Or is it a push?
    I will say in 2008 we need a dominant D more, and our improved Off Line and Jones/Leon will do OK..

I vote 1 or 2 more wins with Long/Gholston

2. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Defense wins championships so I say Long/Gholston will bring us more wins

I want a nasty 2000 Raven's type D.

3. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

I second your vote....We saw in the Super bowl what a stifling defense can do to a powerful offense.

Unfortunately this happened after I had explained to my son at the start of the playoffs that the old rule "Defense wins Championships" no longer applied as most of the GOOD playoff teams were offensive powerhouses.

Jones/Washington is a good combination behind a hopefully good line. I'll take Long/Gholston and hope we can keep everybody back on their heels.

4. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

It has to be McFadden. RBs typically have the shortest learning curve of any position and givent he number of times an RB is involved in a play (McFadden, even with TJ, could easily touch the ball 20 times per game) it has to be the RB

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Very tough question to answer. McFadden has the ability to make this a runaway because he can be that good. As good as Gholston is, he's more one-dimensional. He reminds me of a stronger, slower version of John Abraham. That would be a huge addition to our defense. Chris Long might not fit in our defense. If I were to pick a player regardless of scheme or need, I would go with Chris Long. But in the 3-4, Long's position is a bit of a question mark, and I don't know how exactly he would fit in.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

For once a really good question :wink:, could all be irrelevant come sunday though...

If it were as simple as PF Vs PA, then it would be Gholston.
    But it ain't that simple, we need to keep our D off the field and our O on it. Far too often the D were called into long periods to repeatedly try and well....stop the others from scoring. We need more 3 and outs, conversley we need to start converting those 3rd and 1s.
    McFadden over Gholston in a heartbeat

7. Verngenious

Verngenious New Member

I'd go with Gholston / C. Long over McFadden

8. SixteentoSeven

we seem to be having a near consensus so far as to the D pick will help the Jets get to playoffs more in 2008.

9. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Mcfadden. The difference between why the Pats lost to the Gaints and not the Chargers while being out played by both was because one team kicked field goals and the other team scored touchdowns.

10. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

I find the Gholston Love particularly entertaining. Gholston is the opitimy of every draft the Jets screwed up. Here's a guy with a spotty production level at best that built all his hype after the games were over in a gym running and jumping. He had two big games in his career, one of which was against Michigan and Jake Long ... they keep showing that clip of him running around Jake Long for the sack ... IT WAS ONE GAME PEOPLE ... really, who the "F" is this guy but a big fat hype machine being fed to us by a bunch of sports writers.

I bet if we dont pick him, he drops like a rock out of the top 20. I think other teams are "playing" the interest and I dont think we will be the patsys this time. If he's there at six I will be shocked if we take Mr. Workout warrior with that pick.

Take Long or Mcfadden, both have alot better resumes and alot less risk than the latest draft hype machine.

11. SixteentoSeven

thanks but the question was long or gholston vs McF :sad:, i.e. def vs off

12. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I would say Long/Gholoston

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Here's the thing with Gholston I don't understand: you want to tell me he had spotty production at best, well the guy has the most sacks out of any player in all of college football over the last two seasons. How is that spotty at best by any measure?

14. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Yeah, I know, but its kind of a stupid thread. Trying to translate wins by if we draft offense of defense...different types of teams win in different ways. If we get Mcfadden and he is a superstar then we will be known as an offensive team that "can score at any time" and if we get Long and he is the next Lawrence Taylor then we will be defensive team and blah, blah , blah ...

If I had to say which "type" of player would have a more immediate impact on a teams chance of winning, I go with offense, particularly RB...add a Barry Sanders to any team and you will see a notable difference right away, yeah even with a crappy line.

This does not mean I vote Mcfadden over Long because comparing them is stupid as far as wins and loses.

15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You just disproved your own answer. Chargers have LT and Giants have not LT. While the Giants scored more TDs, the chargers had the better back. Therefore it stands to reason that the TD scoring was based on a factor independent of the RB. Most likely, that factor was field position. Therefore the DE would be the difference maker.

16. SixteentoSeven

politician eh? :up:

17. SixteentoSeven

yup, field position, aka shrinking the field..

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I hate to break up this little lovefest, but if we draft Gholston, where does he play ?

Pace/Thomas have $$$$ Contracts to be OLB's. Harris is great on the inside Barton is the weak link there.....Do we push Gholston inside?

19. SixteentoSeven

some conundrum eh?

20. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Pennys fit so we need someone to waive the towel :lol: