Clayton says Jets talking to Rams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gsulli5861, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The Jets would never trade up to take McFadden. That would be idiotic. I can't see the Jets drafting Ryan either. He is a Pennington clone - a cerebral QB with a mediocre arm at best. If there is a trade up here, and I hope there isn't , it has to be for a pass rusher - Long or Gholston.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Here's what I think makes this a smokescreen/bait for another team to jump for Ryan... why would John Clayton have any info about who the Jets planned on selecting??? If the Jets got that pick, they could choose whomever they wanted except Jake Long since he's signed by Miami. Leaking who they are looking at with that pick at this point sounds like BS to me.

3. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

Exactly, and if he's right that puppet looking mofo can brag about it for the next 5 years. If he's wrong, he just sweeps it under the rug and hopes no one remembers.

Much like Mel Kiper having Mike Williams (WR) his top ranked player in 2005, and when he was questioned on that he said "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction."

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well abyzmul, if the Jets move up to #2 whats the point of secrecy? we obviously didnt move up to try and deal the pick, and the #1 pick is allready made, so the Jets can come out and say, with the 2nd overall pick in the 2008 draft, we will be selecting _________ Personally I dont think it can be Ryan. I think he is in the pennington mold, and i think it has to be for a pass rusher, and one would think it has to be Chris Long over Gholston.

Of course since we haven't moved up, it could be leaked we want Ryan, so the Pats dont move up with St. Louis first to take Long. But like I said, I see the Rams taking Dorsey, and leaving atlanta to trade out with the Jets.

5. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Well if Ryan is the pick and he doesn't work out we are in some serious trouble. God help the Jets.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I can't believe so many people here are saying that the Jets would trade up for Gholston. Think about what you are saying. Why On earth would they do that while Chris Long is still there? If you think Gholston is even in the same class as Long, think again.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They wouldn't have to be secretive AFTER they got the pick, but if they are so sold on Ryan, why bother leaking it during trade talks?

8. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Bingo. I trust these guys to have the best handle of our QB situation along with Ryan's ability.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

if they trade up it's either for DMC, or GHOLSTON. no way they're trading up for someone to carry the clip board, for at least the next 3yrs.

10. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

If by having my tires properly inflated nets me 10% better gas mileage; then truthfully, at the 3.57 per gallon I filled up at this morning, by simply adding air I lower the per gallon price to 3.21; a savings of 36 cents per gallon. This is amazing.

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

If Clayton isn't whistling Dixie, then this says to me that the NYJ do not believe there is anything worth a 2 or 3 -- that everything of value will be four and later....

12. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

not for Ryan because if the Falcons really wanted him we would here about it but the consensus is seems to be the falcons want more of a pass rusher pressence

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Jets seem to be sending the signal that they want a QB. They've really been doing it all offseason imo, but I didn't think they'd go after Ryan. Still not convinced they actually will.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, they don't have a 3 but it might mean they think they are one great player away from being very competitive. Not 2 or 3 or 4.

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Oh geez thanks Clayton, I went from begging for the draft to come in excitement to just begging for the draft to come in so these rumors can go away and it is officially done.

Id write this off but man this FO isnt shy away from trading up though. But dear god, IF and I mean IF we trade up do not do it for Matt Fuckin Ryan.

16. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

[Original post]well abyzmul, if the Jets move up to #2 whats the point of secrecy? we obviously didnt move up to try and deal the pick, and the #1 pick is allready made, so the Jets can come out and say, with the 2nd overall pick in the 2008 draft, we will be selecting _________ Personally I dont think it can be Ryan. I think he is in the pennington mold, and i think it has to be for a pass rusher, and one would think it has to be Chris Long over Gholston.

Of course since we haven't moved up, it could be leaked we want Ryan, so the Pats dont move up with St. Louis first to take Long. But like I said, I see the Rams taking Dorsey, and leaving atlanta to trade out with the Jets.[end original post]

There you go Abyzmul, the answer to your question in my post that you quoted. I bolded it this time. Chances are you just missed it because all this pre-draft talk has your brain going a million miles a minute. Mine is too, we are all prone to mistakes. :up:

I just figure that the only thing that makes sense is to make the pats think we want Ryan so we can move up to take Long, without them trying to get in front of us to get him.

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

The article says we have the 4th pick in the draft, which we don't have. Maybe they mean Oakland? Doubtful, but maybe. This draft is so much fun to follow.

18. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I hope not, I'd much rather stay put at 6...it looks like the Rams are leaning towards Dorsey, and then the Jets will have their pick of Long, Gholston, and McFadden assumning the Falcons take Ryan.

19. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

That is a scary thought. Think about it, last year we had 4 draft picks two are set to be stars. but one has the unjury bug, and the other just appears to be a long term project that isnt likely to pan out. So if we trade up this year that is knocking us down from likely getting 2 early contributers and at least 2 picks overall. meaning only a 4-5 pick class again... not good. restocking through the draft is key. Besides last year we made that mistake and didnt act in the FA period, and we all saw how that turned out. now they acted there, but appear poised to forget the draft, which appears to be incredibly deep in late round 1 early round 2 talents... yikes.

20. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Just like other people on this board have said, this sounds like bs.

However, if the Jets are high on Ryan and they believe that Clemens doesn't have what it takes to be a franchise qb, the pick Ryan. No matter what we trade up to get Ryan, it will be worth it, if Ryan proves to be a franchise qb.

Also, it was posted in this thread earlier that Ryan is a Pennington clone with no arm. This poster has obviously not seen the game winning td he threw against VT.