" Gholston This Year?s Mamula? " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Apr 12, 2008.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

GHOLSTON THIS YEAR?S MAMULA?
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2008, 3:09 p.m.

There?s no denying the impressive physique and workout numbers that have been posted by Ohio State defensive end/linebacker Vernon Gholston. But some league insiders are concerned that Gholston might be this year?s Mike Mamula.

Mamula, you might remember, was a defensive end who rocketed up the draft board based on incredible pre-draft numbers. The Boston College product made it all the way to No. 7 in 1995, jumping past guys like Joey Galloway and Warren Sapp and Hugh Douglas and Ty Law. But Mamula was a bust as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles, and he has long since been out of the league.

As to Gholston, a league source tells us Gholston simply isn?t memorable when watching game film. As the thinking goes, if he were a dominant player at the college level, he would be showing up in the thick of things on a continuous basis. Per the source, he simply doesn?t.We?ve recently heard that the Raiders could be targeting Gholston with the No. 4 overall selection. But plenty of league insiders don?t see him being a top-five selection.

> http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

2. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

Kelly this is already in the draft section :p

3. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Well not everyone reads every post in every forum and it is relevant this time of year to the team.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

what were Mamula's college stats? Were they anything like Gholstons?

Plus was Mamula 1.5 seconds faster off the snap like Gholston is.

#4 NDmick, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  5. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I couldnt handle another 1st round bust but you never know when it comes to the draft

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

DRob? :shit:

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I found an interesting article about Mamula, because i know most of us may not be well informed about him. I learned alot reading this.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-04252007-1336116.html

Its a bit biased since its from philly, but the fact that Mamula was 240 pounds and not 260, he couldn't handle the tackles. Imagine putting Vilma in Gholston's spot- same thing. So Comparing Mamula to Gholston is not fair. He may be a workout warrior like Mamula, but he has the size and speed to be the OLB. Mamula should have been a linebacker, not a 4-3 DE. If Mamula did play OLB in a 4-3, he may have played for 11 years with less injuries. Mamula had decent numbers, not top 10 numbers, but a solid player. Gholston is far better than Mamula. There shouldn't be any worries about the two.

8. Jmart

Jmart New Member

Wasn't Gholston considered a top 15 talent before the combine? I know he's a workout warrior, but I saw a lot of mock that had him in the first round all year.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good article. Hopefully he is there at #6.

10. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

We are comparing Gholston to a guy that was drafted 13 years ago.

Give me a break....

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You're always going to see comparisons from the past.

No one had any problems with the Chad Pennington/Joe Montana comparisons in 2002.

No one had any problems with the Dewayne Robertson/Warren Sapp pre-draft comparisons.

The past will always be used in comparisons...they may not be FAIR comparisons, but people will always use them.

12. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Personally I think Mangini behind these gholston and MIke Mamula comparisons. sorry Eric, I don't think its going to work. With the fourth pick raiders select Vernon Gholston.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Personally, i think Al Davis is behind the Raiders struggle to leave the basement.

Its not Mangini to make him drop to #6. The Rams hold the key to our draft, not the Raiders.

14. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Honestly, I hope the draft goes like this:

1) Jake Long
    2) Vernon Gholston
    3) Matt Ryan
    4) Darren McFadden
    5) Glenn Dorsey

That makes our pick pretty obvious. The Dolphins are in negotiations with Long right now. They're preliminary, but who knows?

Gholston just scares me. Whenever I hear anybody say anything like "Football might not be his biggest priority," it just scares the hell out of me. But in all fairness, the last "workout warrior" to rocket up the draft was Mario Williams. It was pure insanity to pick the "biggest gamble, greatest upside" Williams over the "sure thing" Reggie Bush. That worked out pretty well though, so what do I know?

But God help me, I want Chris Long.

#14 JCotchrocket, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  15. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

One problem He isn't getting past the Raiders Chris LOng. Mcfadden is avery good prospect that will do wonders for your offense.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

But he hates Al Davis, i'd feel bad for Chris.

17. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

How can anyone hate the man thats signing your big check. Hey you want to give me a big check, I might like you too.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Did you miss the whole point of the article? I hope he's gone before the Jets have to make a choice. Let the Raiders or the Rams have him. He's too small to play DE in a 3-4 and he doesn't have the fluidity in the hips to play OLB. His numbers are huge but he's just not suited for us.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Some guys actually want to win too. It's going to be a while before that starts to happen for Al Davis' Big Money Raiders.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

There was an article in sports illustrated a while back about Chris. He would slide down in the car out of sight when his dad would go say hi to his old boss back when chris was in high school.

I thought that was a nice anecdote.