3rd reciever: speed or size

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Apr 7, 2008.

?

Which type of 3rd receiver do you want for this team?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2008.
  1. Speed: home run hitter

25 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Size: 6'4+ red zone target

54 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

What you've seen so far is QBs running for their lives behind a non-existent OL that can't block for the run and can't keep out the pass rushers.

Fix the problems first and then look for somebody to blame if we don't get it done.

The skill players are the icing on the cake. The OL and the defense are the meat and potatoes.

We need to get some meat on the bones of the NYJ, not contract diabetes.

2. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i saw that he ran 4.61 at the combine, that sure as hell doesn't spell speed to me

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

nyjcanada, you brind up an interesting point.

Some of these draft prospects do markedly better in their schools' Pro Days than they did at the Combine.

Is this a good or a bad thing?

For my part, I think that the drafting team wants to know HOW WELL can a draft prospect perform. The tests are conducted by multiple parties at the Pro Days so they are not "homer" nos.

But I think that the level of performance is improved in a lot of prospect's situations because they are more comfortable with their familiar surroundings. Also, they benefit from working with their teammates (Cutler came back to Vandy this month to throw to one of his favorite WRs there to give him a leg up. The guy caught every pass thrown to him, they reported).

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Yeah, Manningham ran a 4.61 at the combine, but lowered it to a 4.45 at his pro day. Hardy ran a 4.47 and a 4.51 at the combine.

Mannangham's 5-11 3/4, Hardy's 6-7. Manningham's probably the more polished reciever but Hardy's got more potential, and only started wholly concentrating on football in '05. They've both got character concerns, with Manningham outright lying to team officials at the combine as well as other immaturities and Hardy was arrested a few years back for allegedly hitting his girlfriend and child.

5. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

Theres way too much emphasis being put on the WR positions (1st,2nd,3rd). NFL offenses are so complex and do alot more with the slot receiver than just run seam routes, as so many of you state. Overall, as a unit, the Jets WR #1 need is Size, and I'm sure Mangenius (Yeah I said It) and Schottenheimer will move around WR alot to keep the defense on their toes. Hardy would be a great addition, taking a huge step toward solidifying our offense.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Chrebet, and Stuckey are ideal #3 guys. You need a guy that has the quickness to excel inside, from the Slot position.

Height is great for a #4 or 5, where the athletic ability of the guy covering him declines.

Dont get me wrong, Taller is generally better, but quickness is the key to a #3.

We should be looking for a Number 1 in this draft. We dont have one on the roster now.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

ditto. we need someone to stretch the field.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

+1

Possession guy for Pennington, speed for Clemens. Combo of both would be great.

Could be another draft indicator of what to expect next season.

9. theVILMAnator

theVILMAnator New Member

devin thomas

the dude is a stud, flat out blow by you speed on a 6-2 220 lbs. frame. Also he is a dominating special teams returner. 3 TD's vs. Penn State look at the highlights of that game and tell me you aren't salivating.

10. theVILMAnator

theVILMAnator New Member

oh and he out preformed both hardy and manningham in the big ten

11. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

not entirely sure who i'd want but by all means go for size. we might not have the greattest speed but you gotta admit lc, jc, brad smith, and washington are all great runners in the open field. chansi could turn into a burner type reciever as well.. i really want to see what happens with him.

again i dont know much about these recievers but hardy at 6'7'' and 4.4ish just sounds like an absolute monster..