Todd McShay Mock 6.0...Has us getting Gholsten

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY_Jetsfan, Apr 1, 2008.

1. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...ory?columnist=mcshay_todd&page=mcshaymock0401

Being in SEC country, I haven't seen Gholsten play that much, but I keep hearing this "disappears from games" tag a bunch...Can anyone out there that has seen him play confirm/deny this?

Also, I wonder where McShay is hearing that the Jets are infactuated with him???

1. Miami Dolphins -- Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    Record: 1-15 | Needs: CB, OT, WR, QB, G
    Previous mock selection: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    While I have DE Chris Long graded slightly higher, Jake Long makes the most sense here. I'm still a firm believer that Jake Long will be an upper-echelon starting left tackle in the NFL. With the addition of G Justin Smiley and current Miami OT Vernon Carey back at his natural position on the right side, the Dolphins would finally solidify their offensive line and give QB John Beck and RB Ronnie Brown far greater chances for success.

2. St. Louis Rams -- Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    Record: 3-13 | Needs: DE, WR, C, G, OLB, OT
    Previous mock selection: Same
    There's a lot of buzz regarding Jake Long going to the Rams at No. 2, but that's assuming Chris Long is the Dolphins' choice with the top selection. In this scenario, the Rams would have a tough choice between Chris Long and DT Glenn Dorsey. Both players are worthy of the pick, but Long is a safer one for an organization that has fared far better drafting college defensive ends than it has tackles. Long is not a prototypical edge rusher, but he's a disruptive force with rare versatility and a motor that never quits.

3. Atlanta Falcons -- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    Record: 4-12 | Needs: QB, DT, OT, G, TE
    Previous mock selection: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    Ryan should be the Falcons' selection, and there's speculation that owner Arthur Blank agrees, for obvious reasons. Ryan is a franchise quarterback prospect with rare intangibles, which is something the Falcons desperately need. However, newly hired GM Tom Dimitroff brings with him the Patriots' mind set of building a foundation along the offensive and defensive lines via the draft, so if Ryan and Dorsey both are available, it won't be an easy choice.

4. Oakland Raiders -- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
    Record: 4-12 | Needs: DE, OL, DT, WR, SLB
    Previous mock selection: Sedrick Ellis, DE, USC
    While their financial sense and player evaluations certainly can be questioned, the Raiders have in fact addressed many needs during the offseason, which frees them to go in any number of directions with this pick. Word has it that owner Al Davis is infatuated with McFadden's home run speed. Shocking, right? Regardless of his reasoning, it's hard to argue against taking the draft's most talented prospect with the fourth overall pick. Getting McFadden signed and into camp, on the other hand, could be an interesting process.

5. Kansas City Chiefs -- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    Record: 4-12 | Needs: OT, CB, G, WR, QB, RB
    Previous mock selection: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    Jake Long has to be priority No. 1 for the Chiefs, but don't expect them to reach for a different offensive tackle with this pick if he is off the board. Dorsey is the type of impact defensive tackle the franchise has been missing for years. If Kansas City goes with Dorsey here, it can select an offensive tackle the caliber of USC's Sam Baker early in Round 2.

6. New York Jets -- Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
    Record: 4-12 | Needs: DE, CB, WR, FS, ILB, RB
    Projected pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
    Arguments can be made for and against Gholston. After studying him on film, I think he is a bit of an overrated player who disappears from games far too often. However, recent workout times have sent his draft stock soaring, and I hear from reliable sources that the organization is infatuated with him.

7. N.E. Patriots (from 5-11 S.F.) -- Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
    Record: 16-0 | Needs: ILB, CB, OLB, ROT, G, S
    Previous mock selection: Vernon Gholston, OLB/DE, Ohio State
    I am convinced the Patriots will trade out of this spot. For starters, coach Bill Belichick and GM Scott Pioli have made 25 draft-weekend trades since taking over eight years ago. Secondly, the team is in desperate need of secondary help, but there isn't a defensive back in this class worth selecting in the top 10. McKelvin is the most likely fit at corner, but only if the team moves down at least a few spots. And New England has been known to take value over need in the past, so DT Sedrick Ellis is a possibility here, too.

8. Baltimore Ravens -- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
    Record: 5-11 | Needs: QB, CB, LOT, OLB, DE, ILB
    Previous mock selection: Same
    The Ravens are one of the wild-card teams in the top 10. They, too, are a team that likes to take the best available talent even if he doesn't fit a need, so if DT Sedrick Ellis falls this far, he is a definite possibility. I have Clady graded higher than any corner in this class, though, and he possesses the combo of size and feet to potentially take over for perennial Pro Bowler Jonathan Ogden.

9. Cincinnati Bengals -- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
    Record: 7-9 | Needs: DT, LB, TE, C, S, DE
    Previous mock selection: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
    The team is starving for a playmaking defensive tackle, and Ellis, who notched 58 tackles and 8.5 sacks as a senior, is one of only two elite prospects at the position. While it's highly unlikely he will fall to the ninth pick, I do hear the Bengals and Saints are among a handful of teams considering trading up for Ellis and/or DT Glenn Dorsey, depending on how the top of the board unfolds.

10. New Orleans Saints -- Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
    Record: 6-9 | Needs: CB, DT, ROT, S, TE, LB, WR
    Previous mock selection: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St.
    If the Saints don't trade up for a defensive tackle (Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey), they are likely to bypass their need at cornerback to select the draft's top linebacker prospect, Rivers.

2. Iownnamathssbjersey

Iownnamathssbjersey New Member

I would love for the draft to unfold this way. We get Gholston and Stewart and the patriots either trade down or take a corner they don't want. Would love it!!! Stewart is very underrated and if it wasn't for the turf toe, i'd have him going before mendenhall

3. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

The best part about this is he has us taking Jonathan Stewart in round 2. That would be great!

4. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I would love that pick.

5. Jmart

Jmart New Member

Yeah Stewart in round 2 was pretty suprising. I think it's highly unlikely though. I know Jerry Jones loves Arkansas players, but cmon now, I don't think he's dumb enough to take Felix Jones over Stewart. I don't think his stock is slipping as much as people say.

And as for the first top 10... nothing new really, same players in a different combination of slots. Kiper's new mock was pretty odd today I thought.. he has Brandon Albert going to KC! wow.

6. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Holy crap. If the Dolphins take Henne in Rnd 2, that will just give me yet another reason to hate Miami. Any chance we could nab Dan Connor?

7. trojanFan

trojanFan New Member

yeah no doubt Stewart in round 2 is a GREAT pick...but i would be pissed if we passed on kenny phillips. Its Ed Reed all over again (except that J. Stew is WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Bryan Thomas)

I mean, we still have leon and TJ at RB, and Abram Elam at FS??

Nuff said, iv made my choice!!

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Not very complimentary what he had to say about him and he's not the first person to say that either.

9. Jmart

Jmart New Member

Dan Connor is garbage for our scheme.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

dan connor is pure 4-3

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

my thoughts exactly revis rhodes and phillips = best secindary in the league

12. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Not even close.

13. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Cromartie Revis Rhodes Phillips best secondary in the league.... hope we don't do it tho.

14. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

If we go Gholston-Stewart, I will splooge happiness until opening day comes around.

15. JetsLookingforDWare

QFT.

I might even have to do it on someones moms' face. Pray to Jah...

16. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Still not even close to be the best secondary in the NFl. That one resides in Oakland. N Asomugha, Deangelo Hall, Huff and Gibril Wilson Not to mention tremendous depth they have. Comeon you can come up with Better secondaries, than that in the NFl.(way better than one you listed if Jets drafted those players)

#16 Raiderjoe, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  17. JetsLookingforDWare

You know I actually agree on this, but please STFU about Oakland's greatness. We all realize few, if any, teams can touch Oakland.

Maybe you should try like a...Raiders board where you can jerk the Raiders off with other people who give a shit?

18. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

Spoken like a true Jets fan. The Raider hope that Hall will push them to the 5 - 11 mark. That is a vast improvement over last season

19. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

MY Point orginally had nothing to do with Raiders.
    What Has Cromartie ever done in college to warrant this kind of acclaim. HE wasn't that good. There have been been better CBs than Cromartie in college, that didn't pan out in the Pro Game. (Philip Buchanon) YEt were suppose to believe IF JETS draft him and the safety Phillips that there secondary is suddenly the best. Okay ignore the Raiders, and I bet you can come up with easily four secondaries, offthe top of your head, that would be better than that secondary.
    Least throw IN potentially one of the best. THat I will let go. Can't let that statement go because Jets secondary has one proven player(Rhodes) anD Maybe another CbRevis(has to do it again) . Other are two draft choices who youdon't knopw what they are going to be in the pros.