Mendenhall, the latest RB to meet with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Mar 27, 2008.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Seem to be meeting alot of RBs

2. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are doing their homework and due diligence on a bunch of different players.

3. Thrillkill

Thrillkill New Member

More on R.M. from Draftsharks.com

Jets like Rashard Mendenhall?
    Adam Schefter said on Total Access that the New York Jets have scheduled a private workout for RB Rashard Mendenhall. Interesting. The Jets pick 6th and Mendenhall isn't technically considered a high-1st round prospect. However, his stock is rising steadily after a stellar Combine. Mendenhall measured a thick 5'10 ?/225 lbs and ran a juicy 4.45. He also posted a RB-best 4.18 short shuttle that day.The Jets might be thinking their guy (DE Vernon Gholston, RB Darren McFadden?) will be gone by the 6th pick. By feigning heavy interest in Mendenhall they could induce like Carolina (#13) or Chicago (#14) to offer picks to move up. This is fun. Projecting where stud rookie RBs will go is the most exciting part of pre-draft hype. For more buzz-chat about Mendenhall, McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, and Felix Jones, paid Draft Sharks subscribers can click on the latest premium JUMbotron column today!

Posted on 3/27/2008 12:20:02 PM

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No doubt. We really have very little to go on with this top five and the FO is taking a look at a bunch of people. I'd be worried if we didn't see this type of news comming out.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Tannenbaum is either looking to trade out, or he's blowing smoke. I know Chicago and Carolina are in desperate need of a running back.

DeAngelo Williams can't carry the load for the Panthers, and Cedric Benson can't carry the load for anyone.

6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

if we traded with Carolina or Chicago for their 1st and a 3rd that would be terrific. Like a lot of people have said on this board, this years draft is really deep in talent in our areas of need and stockpiling picks is the way to go

7. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

The Lions and Broncos could be candidates too if they're looking for an elite DT like Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey. The Lions should also be mentioned in the RB sweepstakes since they have nothing at the position.

Even if we're not interested, it's a very smart move to have interest in everyone projected in the first round for trading down reasons. After the top 6 or 7 guys, the playing field is pretty even for the next 15-20 guys, so anyone within there would only be a slight reach from our perspective.

8. Namath12

Namath12 New Member

Trading the No. 6 pick for a pick in the mid-teens plus a third round pick would be a horrible trade in my opinion. The top echelon of players in this draft is about 6-7 deep. We should get a lot greater value than a 3rd round pick to move from 6 to the mid-teens. For instance, according to the points chart that many teams use for the draft, the Jets could trade the No. 6 pick to Dallas for the No. 22 pick, the No. 28 pick and a third round pick and that would be about fair value. If the Jets were going to move down from 6 to the mid-teens, at a minimum they should also get the other team's 2nd round pick (and I still wouldn't make this trade unless both Longs are off the Board, at a minimum).

Mike

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I completely agree with your assessment. It amazes me how people here think there is some mystique in having more mediocre picks in this draft. I would give most of ours up to move up and get the player that will help us for the next 10 years. Just like we did last year.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

and that is why you are a fan posting on your favorite teams message board and not running a team.

11. Don

And you are what exactly?

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm a fan that knows it is not wise to consistently trade away multiple draft picks to move up in the draft. I'm a fan that knows you can get HOF talent at any spot in the entire draft. I'm also a fan that knows depth is crucial in this league and the way to build quality depth is through the draft.

13. Don

In other words, another fan not running a team..ok. Just so your bubble doesn't burst on draft day though. Keep in mind the Jets held their draft in FA already. They acquired 5 new starters, a few with all pro capabilities, and 2 quality backups. If you really think their goal now is to get some bench warmers I think you are mistaken.

#13 Don, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  14. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

We traded up a couple of years ago into the top four to get D-Rob, how'd that work out? Kerry Rhodes was a 4th rounder, was he a "mediocre" pick? We pick D-brick 4th overall in 2006 and Mangold at the end of the 1st round, which one has been a better peformer to date?

late 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks are not mediocre....

15. Don

Hopefully the people doing the picking now are a bit smarter than the ones who picked Robertson. Obviously you can luck into a good player in any round. Look at Brady. However, if you want to compare lists I'll bet I can find 50 or 100 4th round picks that aren't even in the league 3 years after they are drafted for everyone you can find who still is. I wasn't speaking about 1st or 2nds. I was referring to 4th-7ths. Thirds are a toss up but in this years draft I am guessing all we care about are our first two. Just like last year.

#15 Don, Mar 28, 2008
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The were both mid round selections in the first 2 rounds. Obviously we don't need a top 6 pick to get a quality starter.

17. Don

I agree with that but last year we were at the bottom of the rounds and this year we are at the top. So our selections have to be at the top and we need to get somebody who can fit the scheme this team runs. We can't reach down to do that. We have to reach up just like we did last year. And right up until draft day I will remain convinced that is what we will do.

You don't get a chance to pick this high very often. At least you shouldn't. When you do you have to get a player or players that you know will be impact players for years to come. That's why I see no chance in hell we are going to take a corner with our first pick.

#17 Don, Mar 28, 2008
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea I hope picking this high doesn't become a regular occurrence. I don't expect a corner either, in fact I'd be a bit disappointed. Initially I wanted the Jets to go defense with there first pick but I''m thinking more offense now. I want a WR, but there's none that we can justify taking at 6. DMC will be the best offensive player available at that point most likely. I'd rather trade down.

19. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Quick question for all you draft pick value gurus. If we traded our current 2nd round pick and our 4th round pick (not the pick we got from the Saints for Vilma, but ours), how much would that move us up from our current second round slot in value points? Back into the end of the first round?

20. Don

Oops. Read it wrong. Our second and 4th would get us to #29-#30 in the 1st. Because NE has no pick our 2nd and 4th actually become #37 and #99. Our 2nd and the Saints #4(110) get us to #31 or the first pick of round 2. (I can see either happening if somebody wants to trade down BTW). Of course we don't know the 3rd round comp picks yet so that can change.

#20 Don, Mar 28, 2008