personal seating license

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Mar 19, 2008.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Cmon now do you expect anybody to believe what you posted? You do not even account for the days when there is rain or snow. You are just attempting to rationalize away why you spend all those bucks each & every year when the reason you/me or any fan goes to the game is to see your side win. If you are such a rabid fan as you profess you had to be as depressed as I was leaving the stadium after a loss. Since there were far more lows then hi's like the MNF game of the Pack game you like all of us who are long time season tix holders have gotten almost zero ROI that is MHO. Actually the most exciting game I ever saw because it meant something was NOT a regular season game but the 68 PO game between us & Oak that sent us to SB3. Now lump in 5Gs or more per seat for PSLs & sorry to say I have to say so long to Mr. Woody even though I have invested 43 years of my life being a NYJ season tix holder

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm always pissed when we lose, definitely. Walking down those rings after a loss, especially an important one, sucks. I'm not denying that. But as I've gotten older I've learned not to let it ruin my whole day. But it sucks just as much if we lose and I watch it on TV.

Now that I have seasons, sit by the same people every game, bring the grill, I make a whole day out of it, the game being part of that. But I make a conscious decision to buy the tickets every year because I enjoy going. It's 8 Sundays I look forward to all year, and I like cold weather so that doesn't bother me. We had freezing rain the last couple of games, that wasn't fun, but that's not worth giving up the tickets for either. I'm not a Miami fan, champ.

Let me ask you a question. If you have such a negative view, get no enjoyment out of it and feel you're being ripped off, why do you keep renewing your 12 seats or whatever for 43 years? I just told you why I do it.

3. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

The jets know there will be no problem getting folks to pay the psl's. If they want them they will get paid

4. championjets69

You must have forgotten I have been on the rent the tix out plan since I moved to Florida some 12 years ago so I am out of pocket zero dollars since I charge the renter for even the handling charges. I keep them only because they go back prior to 69 & if the NYJs ever were to win the AFC championship I have a better chance at obtaining SB tix then a holder who signed on after SB3 was over. The 2 times they played in the championship conference game I was holding my letter from the NYJs the entire game saying cmon down & get your tix if they win that game.

5. Italian Seafood

There's the difference between you and me then. You're basing your whole life around one game that may or may not ever happen, I take them and enjoy them one at a time as they come up. Of course I want to win too, if it ever happens we'll both be happy for sticking with them for so long. I mean I will, I'm assuming even you will.

:jets:

6. championjets69

See that is where you & I switch tracks. When I was going to the games the ride home after a loss like the spike game or that Eagle game was soooooooooooooooo depressing that my son & I would not even talk for the 45/50 minute drive down to Monmouth County since in sports all that counts is WINNING. I think you & others have forgotten that because somewhere along the way you decided you want to rationalize why in your mind you root for a loser & also ante up those big bucks to do so. Just ask any Pat fan or there owner was he happy with the 18-1 season last year. Hopefully you remember the look at Jerry Jones face as the NYGs dumped his team from the POs. I'm sure deep down you know all that but you just want to put it aside due to your huge investment for the tix/parking & various & sundry other things associated with the cost of going to a game. You also missed the key reason why I keep the tix which is it it COST me NOTHING to do so right? If you were in my position & it cost you NOTHING to keep them you to would do the same I am sure. You remember the times table right? 0X0=0 in my case is the equation you should be thinking of.

7. Italian Seafood

To each their own then, champ. Go through life miserable, counting your pennies and counting your days since Super Bowl III, nobody is stopping you.

I choose not to live that way. I root for the Jets because that's the team I got into as a kid, my dad was a Jet fan and Joe Namath was our QB. When you're 7 what more do you need? It doesn't make you a better or more devoted fan than me, just a different outlook. Life's too fucking short to have it ruined by the Jets, I let that happen for enough of my life.

When I was younger I reacted to losses much the same way as you do. Pissed off, miserable, getting tossed from assorted bars across America, etc. Now that I have adult shit to worry about and kids, those 8 Sundays are my days to go out there and be a Jet fan just like when I was 7 or 17 or 27 or 37. I'm not going to have that ruined by the weather, Herm Edwards or anyone else. I'm just not. The reason I work for my money is to spend it how I choose, after paying for insurance and all the other shit you have to pay for where you really don't get any ROI.

8. championjets69

Why do you think I am miserable? I certainly hope you do not think because for me & most fans it is SB or bust which is what the season is played for. Again just check up on last years 18-1 Pats or last year Pack or Boys teams if you need any further proof. Now as for counting pennies accusation you have not the slightest idea of my life style now do you so how do you know what I do with my money? I can totally understand what you are saying in your final paragragh which is much closer to the truth then liking being out in the nice weather & liking the cold or whatever other BS you also wrote. In fact that last paragraph is probably the reason most season tix holders buy there seats at least IMHO. Anyway unless you intend paying Woody a big PSL fee per seat in 2010 yours & many others worlds are about to change due to upcoming announcement on how much Woody intends to sock us fans.

9. Italian Seafood

Answered your own questions, champ. :up:

10. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

On that front the Eagles did not charge PSL's on tickets behind the endzones and the PSL for tickets from the goal line to the 30 yard line was considerably less than what was charged between the 30's.

Having upper deck endzone seats since 1975 the four of us sure as hell hope the Jets make this a precedent...

11. championjets69

Cmon now you really do not believe that since you snipped off some of my reply to make it look like that is what I posted which is not

This is the full verbage

Why do you think I am miserable? I certainly hope you do not think because for me & most fans it is SB or bust which is what the season is played for

Ha will just see come Dec who is more depressed about the NYJs when they have yet concluded another unsuccessful season. Just like last year when you argue & argue because you thought we were such a good team & would barrel thru the league & naturally you were totally incorrect the same will occur again this season. Sure we may improve our record from last 4-12 but we are not SB caliber timber at this moment which means it will be 0-3 for Man 0-9 for Woody & 40 years since our last SB win.

You yourself admit you to got pissed off & actually were tossed from places ( I never was) so that made you more miserable then me if possible

12. The Screed

The Screed Member

I just got a letter from the team in the mail today informing me that they are refunding the waitlist fees. You can either take the money back or get credit in their website. I think this is a bad sign that psl's areon the way. And just as I am getting near the end of the waitlist

13. Italian Seafood

Yeah, you're right, champ. It's just me. Everyone else sees you as a beacon of hope and optimism.

14. DownAndOut

DownAndOut Member

Article in today's NY Times:

March 22, 2008
    Jets and Giants Fans May Pay for the Right to Pay for Tickets
    By RICHARD SANDOMIR

National Football League franchises across the country have helped pay for modern stadiums since the mid-1990s by asking season-ticket holders to ante up for the right to preserve their seat locations in the teams’ new homes.

Now, for the first time, the selling of personal seat licenses is a real possibility in the New York area. Jets and Giants executives are considering using them at the $1.6 billion stadium they are building in New Jersey, which is scheduled to open in 2010. Although any decisions are months away and team officials are reluctant to discuss details publicly, sports business analysts and others around the N.F.L. said they expected to see the teams sell licenses.

Fans, meanwhile, are bracing to pay extra.

“Listen, I know it’s inevitable,” said Bobby Stiso, a textiles salesman from Airmont, N.Y., who spent nearly three decades on the Giants’ waiting list before buying two season tickets several years ago. “If Wellington Mara were alive, would he do it?” he said, invoking the name of the team’s patriarch, who was devoted to Giants fans, answering nearly every letter he received from them. He died in 2005.

Personal seat licenses are like taxi medallions or a seat on a financial exchange. Buying one entitles the fan to have first call on the purchase of a season ticket. Fans can re-sell and buy licenses among themselves or online, with the value pegged to the local market and win-loss dynamics.

The initial cost has yet to be determined for the Jets and the Giants, but other teams have charged from $150 for an average seat license to $150,000 for a premium spot in the Dallas Cowboys’ new stadium.

The prospect of selling them is made more likely by the N.F.L.’s requirement that teams repay their debt much faster than their bankers demanded. The credit crisis could also affect the teams if any of their debt has floating rates, which would make their financing more expensive — and make revenue from seat licenses more important.

That league pressure “doesn’t make them inevitable,” said Jay Cross, the Jets’ president. “What it does make inevitable is, we have to raise more equity.”

One option among many is to seek upfront payments from sponsors and companies buying naming rights to the stadium and to the four main gates.

Some Jets and Giants fans have already started worrying about how they will afford license fees. Arnold Spier, an accountant from Fair Lawn, N.J., is paying $3,000 for four upper-deck Jets season tickets and worries that his children’s college costs and rising gas prices may not leave enough to justify buying seat licenses.

“If you asked me now, maybe I’d pay $500,” he said. But, he added: “I don’t care about their financing. Giants Stadium serves my purpose fine.”

Personal seat licenses came into vogue as stadium costs soared, the number of projects multiplied, and city and state governments became less likely to spend tax money to cover the bulk of stadium financing. The Carolina Panthers started the current trend in 1993 by selling 62,500 seat licenses from $600 to $5,400 each to help pay to build what is now called Bank of America Stadium. The Panthers now sell licenses costing $3,000 to $20,000.

These de facto seat taxes have not surfaced in New York because no new professional stadiums have opened since Giants Stadium in 1976. Sports business experts and fans are convinced that the Jets and the Giants will use seat licenses to repay their debt. Luxury boxes, club seats, naming rights, sponsorships and ticket sales may not be enough.

“I’d be shocked if they didn’t do it,” said Dan Migala, who publishes a sports marketing newsletter. “I can’t imagine in this marketplace that they wouldn’t.”

If they sell licenses, the Jets and the Giants will probably use them on all 9,200 club seats, the premium level below luxury suites. They would then have to decide how many other seats would require licenses.

Mark Lamping, the new chief executive of the two-team stadium, has experience with licenses. As the president of the St. Louis Cardinals, he marketed 10,000 of them at $1,500 to $10,000 to help finance the new Busch Stadium, which opened in 2006.

Until now, the Jets and the Giants have been marketing their new stadium’s 200 luxury boxes, which are being leased at an average price of $600,000 annually. But they have not yet focused on the prices for all the other seats, or on the subject of licenses.

John Mara, the Giants’ president and co-owner, said, “We’re looking at all possibilities for the financing of the stadium.”

Twelve N.F.L. teams have combined to generate nearly $900 million in seat license fees since the mid-1990s. The Green Bay Packers raised $110 million from 55,000 season-ticket holders to renovate Lambeau Field by selling less valuable versions of licenses called seat user fees. They are generally less expensive ($600 to $1,400) and do not provide seat ownership, but are refundable if fans decline to buy season tickets.

Marketers promote personal seat licenses as valuable real estate and as heightened expressions of fan loyalty, not as instruments that could lead to the loss of season tickets held by families for generations.

“They give fans equity they wouldn’t otherwise have,” said Max Muhleman, a Charlotte-based sports consultant who has devised or consulted on numerous N.F.L. seat license plans. “They’re not stockholders in the team. But they own the seat, and that’s worth a lot.”

Until the Cowboys introduced dramatically higher prices for their stadium, which is scheduled to open in 2009, teams initially sold their licenses for a few hundred dollars to $10,000.

The Cowboys are marketing their high-end seats as a luxury product, pricing club seat licenses at $16,000, $35,000 and $50,000, before leaping to $100,000 and $150,000 each.

“It was an internal feeling that that was what the market could bear,” said Greg McElroy, the Cowboys’ senior vice president for sales and marketing. In less than four months, more than half the team’s licenses have been sold.

Several years ago, the Philadelphia Eagles sold 29,000 seat licenses for $1,800 to $3,700, raising $70 million toward the costs for Lincoln Financial Field. By contrast, the Cowboys could raise as much as $300 million.

Among the New York region’s other teams involved in major construction projects, the Yankees and the Mets said they would not use licenses in their ballparks, and the Devils did not use them in building the Prudential Center.

Seat licenses have become a marketable commodity. They are sold privately and listed on Web sites like eBay, Craigslist and seasonticketrights.com, where fans attempt to flip their licenses at a profit.

The Chicago Bears’ fairly conservative license plan, with a top price of $10,000, may be a model for the Giants and the Jets. The Bears originally sold licenses to 45 percent of their season-ticket holders at the new Soldier Field, so most of the others kept their seats without paying the extra fees.

Then some unaffected fans successfully lobbied the Bears to sell them licenses on their seats. Now, seasonticketrights.com shows that the average gain on the sale of a Bears license is about $8,300.

Kyle Burks, who created seasonticketrights.com, said: “It’s tough to tell someone who’s paid for their season-ticket rights for 30 years that you have to pay even more. It’s as much an emotional decision as it is a financial one.”

Chris Clarke, an account manager for Checkpoint Systems from Tinton Falls, N.J., faces such a decision. He owns six Jets season tickets and is part of a friends-and-family entourage that owns 38 season tickets.

If the new stadium has personal seat licenses, he said, “you’ll chase people like me out, or force us to decide, I can’t do six, maybe it will be two.”

But others, like John Moss of Roseland, N.J., will hold on to their tickets almost regardless of price. He has four $80 field-level end zone Giants tickets that would probably be designated for seat licenses.

“I’m going to buy my tickets whether there are licenses or not,” Moss said. “Do I want to pay? No. Maybe it will be $1,000 a seat, but anything over $5,000 will be a lot. I think the Mara family will be just and fair.”

15. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

I received this also ....i defintely agree with you ...something is brewing!!

16. jetmike

jetmike New Member

As a season tix holder for 43 years I hope that if we have seat licenses the Jets will help us with some financing plan that will allow everyone to keep being season tix holders. I have 7 tix and I hope to keep all of them in the new stadium since I have one grandson and I am sure there will be more grandchildren who will become infected with need to root for the Jets.
    Realistically it is easier to sit home with the plasma TV and DVR to watch a game in Hi-Def,but nothing can replace being at a game that you may remember for the rest of your life. Go Jets! Jetmike Sec 228

17. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

I would bet my life that they would team up with a bank/credit card to help finance PSL. There is money to be made in that too.

But I'm with you, if the prices for PSL are out of line I will be more than happy to tailgait in my yard with friends and than watch the game on a 52' HDTV.

18. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

Sounds like they clearing the way to offer club level or preferred seating packages to people outside of the waitlist. I am not sure of the agreement when you signed up to pay the waitlist fees, if you take the refund do you give up any rights?

It will make it easier for them to move the higher priced packages without going through the entire waitlist.

19. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Well, this just sucks. I recently learned that my company is being dissolved and I will be out of work in a few months. I'm hitting the pavement looking for work and the Jets just raised ticket prices. Now, I have to mortgage my tickets? I've got to put food on the table for my family.

What have I received from the Jets for 24 years of support as a season ticket holder? A couple of caps and some yearbooks? Certainly no championships. This is a kick in the ass. Maybe a lot of "old money" Giant fans can deal with it, but most Jet fans sacrifice already to buy their seats. Now I have to finance a stadium in Jersey that I don't even want. I guess they haven't heard that the country is in a recession.

So Woody just informed me that the Jets don't need me as a fan. I guess I don't need the Jets anymore, either. 30 years of attending Jet games -- what a kick in the ass!

20. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

"The Cowboys are marketing their high-end seats as a luxury product, pricing club seat licenses at $16,000, $35,000 and $50,000, before leaping to $100,000 and $150,000 each."

In other news, Jerry , Woody and the Maras were last seen at the Bada-Bing discussing ways to give the fans the "business"