personal seating license

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

To be more clear, going long term was my plan at 30 but my money was gone in three years. Without the long boring story, the Merrill Lynch guy is in prison now but that doesn't help me. I put the rest of my money in real estate and over time that has made up the difference. If you know what you're doing with that shit, more power to you, but I'm out. Fool me once, you know?

Regarding the PSLs, I would only do it for the purpose of keeping my Jet tickets I waited my whole life for. If the thing has some value down the road, great, but if I pay it I'd probably just keep my tickets anyway.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I understand. I've had my tix for 23 years now, so it's hard to imagine giving them up. My family and I have had a great time at so many games... now I've got grandkids and more on the way, so I'd really like to take them to games too.

But if it comes down to paying a ridiculous amount to the Jets for PSLs or helping my grandkids get thru college, well, I'm going to have to think long and hard about that. I think I'd rather see them with a cap and gown on and I'll watch my Jets games from the comfort of my couch.

3. Italian Seafood

Well of course if it's an either/or situation you have to. Not having seasons doesn't mean you can't go to the games, either. No matter what they do, people will still have tickets and when we're 2-7 (not that that will ever happen again, right?) you can probably get them for less than face and still see your grandkids graduate. Maybe not the first year or two of the new place if the team is good, but we all know what the open market for Jets tickets is.

4. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I don't have season tickets, because there's a waiting list a mile long and really, at this point in my life, they're not a financial priority. In any event, the cold, hard truth is that the Jets and Giants are paying for this stadium and they're going to do what they can to maximize return on their investment. Professional sports are a business. The Jets don't exist for your pleasure. They exist to make money.

-X-

5. Section 227. Row 5

I still don't see PSLs (if they're levied at all) being charged across the board in all seats in the stadium. The new stadium has more mid-level Mezzananine seats carved out along both sidelines. A lot of these are the current Mezz ticketholders who will either be displaced or hit with the choice of remaining in that level and paying a PSL for "premium seating." That's the way I see it if it happens at all.

The way this new stadium is spread out, the uppers and rear rows of all the levels are further away from the field than they are with the current Giants Stadium. I can't see guys in the last rows of the Uppers paying PSLs without screaming bloody murder.

So, if they charge PSLs at all, I envision them justifying the charge in the "premium" area, which will be where the current Mezz is. Under that scenario, I might be able to keep my season tickets by moving to other seats in some other section.

I don't know, we'll have to see what happens. I still have yet to see anything definitive or any news article on any intentions of teh Giants to charge PSLs, although there was some talk recently that they have mentioned it in their letter to Giants tix holders.

6. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Not all psl give you rights to all the events at the venue. Your psl will most likely give you your seats to the game and maybe prob presale for other events but you wont get your seats and wont be guaranteed seats

7. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

hey section im 23 and about to graduate college, will u be my financial advisor?

8. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

I'm just curious, and I'm sure it depends on where the seats are, but on average, how much do season tickets cost? I can understand dropping a couple grand on baseball tickets because you can get up to 81 games. I'm just wondering how much it costs for the privelege of attending 8 games.

9. Section 227. Row 5

LOL...

You don't need a financial advisor, you just need common sense. It amazes me how people graduate college today and lack it. Their courses prepare them to design websites, perform apendectomies, build bridges and run corporations, yet they can't even balance their own checkbooks. The first and costliest mistake they make is being delinquent on their student loans, which is a credit killer right from the start.

Your first and best investment should be to go out and buy a copy of Suze Orman's new book. Your second best investment is to buy your first house. And your third best idea is to avoid divorce... have her killed instead, it's cheaper.

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Wonderful advice but I would have gone a tad easier on the killing part cause when/if caught the consequences of not so pretty. I have my seats for 43 years including this year & besides the 68/69 teams I feel there has been no return from there side to my side. I bet if you look up the W-Ls for the time you are a holder you will find there are more Ls then Ws during that period. To me what will be will be but for sure I know I will not give Woody more then 1 penny per seat for the honor to purchase my season tix. In the end that is the going to be the ultimate result since Woody does not give one dang for us the people who have supported this team for 1st Leon & now Woody.

#30 championjets69, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  11. Italian Seafood

Good advice. The other thing that happens is people graduate in their early 20s, get pre approved for credit cards and don't realize how much debt they can get in by using them. You are 100% correct, schools are supposed to prepare you for life and they don't teach any of this shit.

12. championjets69

Just curious since you turned 21 till now have the NYJs had a losing record at home? That would be around 19 years or so I guess.

13. Italian Seafood

Pretty close, champ, 20 football seasons. One would have to start with the 1988 season and add it all up. My record of seeing games in person dates back to 1976, paying for my own tickets since the early/mid 80s. Starting attending almost every home game around 1994, seasons since 2001. Not sure where you're going with that, or the significance of me personally turning 21.

14. championjets69

Yep I bet without checking you to when home from the game more times then not let down cause also during your time they have had a losing record at home

15. Italian Seafood

Maybe. That's life, champ. It's either get a new team, which I won't do, or be a Jet fan for better or worse. As we were discussing earlier, going out there, being outside on a nice day and at the game cooking out is a good time, win or lose. You either make it a fun experience or a miserable one on your own, of course it's better when we win but that's out of my control. So my return on the investment is quality time doing something I enjoy, in between going to work and taking out the garbage, not so much always in wins and losses.

16. sect105

sect105 New Member

My seats in section 105 are 80 bucks a pop and you HAVE to take the pre-season as well.

I have three tickets in My name, but only pay for Two. My cousin gets the third. The tickets in total cost 2400 and paking another 200 = $2600.

If there were to be PSL's my limit would be 1000 per seat and I would think long and hard about paying that. Anything more and I am out. The tickets have been in the family since 1970. Over the years, I do not consder it a privelige to pay for my tickets.

When you actually look out closely, I attend the 8 games every year. Out of those 8 games. 4 are usually terrible, 2 are OK and 2 are good. So the return on investment just within a year is not that great.

The tickets are great to have when the team wins, but when they stink, it is the worst.

17. Section 227. Row 5

"The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat," as they say. Yes, I have to say, I've had tremendous "sports highs" (the Monday Night Miracle comes to mind). But there's nothing worse than driving home after a close loss to a division rival that meant everything for the season.

But I'm like Seafood, there's a little more to it than that. It's the fun you have with your friends and family and the rush you get at the tailgate party waiting to go into the stadium even though you're underdogs, for example, knowing on any given Sunday...

18. Italian Seafood

Yeah, I'm not saying winning doesn't matter, but in a season like we just had, you still have fun if you do it right. It's not like I'm giving up my tickets because of that, if they price me out of the stadium, that's something different. The year before, we were out there drinking and partying at 10am on New Year's Eve, went into the stadium and watched the Jets lock up a playoff spot by beating the Raiders. So you take the bad with the good. When we suck there's plenty of good parking/tailgating space available.

19. icetime32

icetime32 Member

I for one would have to turn my tickets in. I've been with the jets since SHEA stadium as a season tkt holder and prior to that in Giant stadium as a fan. It would seem to me that if PSL's are instituted it only benifits the owner. It's to bad they can't think about a WINNER instead of how to make more money. As you can see I attended the Carolina Hurricanes stanley cup run and it only cost me about 3000 for season tkts and complete playoff pkg. As previously stated on this board, I believe we should all inform JET mgm't about how bad an idea is for PSL's

20. Italian Seafood

To be fair, the demand for hockey tickets in North Carolina is not the same as the demand for NFL football in the New York market. Neither is the cost of living factor comparable in terms of ticket prices.