Our QB issue. What to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ghostridergo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Actually, DBrick has played quite well, progressing by any measure during each of his two years with the NYJ. There have been plenty of posts to this forum that have verified this, too.

No offensive lineman can be SuperMan, in spite of our frustration-borne expectation inflation.

The offensive line can be only as strong as its weakest link. Until the NYJ OL integrates into a well-coordinated, clearly communicative unit, any lineman can easily be blind-sided by a breakdown from one of his mates.

We've even seen Mangold bowled over as well as every other member of the line. The Tight Ends have very often been culprits, but because we have ill-informed stereotypical expectations of these "glorified pass-catchers", they usually get a pass.

We can enjoy the game a lot more, with a lot less frustration and anger, if we can take advantage of its complexity (especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball), instead of ignoring it and letting it blow us up when we're just not expecting it.

If racing backs, chunking QBs, and intercepting DBs were all that football is, then they might as well play in pink ballet shoes and sport brightly colored flags in their back pockets for the opposing player to try and grab.

Like it or not, the Big Uglies (of which there are many on the field at any given time, in case you don't bother to notice) have to be extremely intelligent, and vigilant, and resilent if they are going to bust up their opponent and allow the RBs, QBs, and WRs to do their thing.

It takes a lot of brainpower on that line of scrimmage. I think you can count on DBrick, Faneca, Mangold, Woody and Baker and now Franks. And we've got a helluva FB now too.

Let's see how they work together.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Hopefully he does but IMHO he does not have the "IT" say like TW to accomplish what you posted

3. championjets69

Ah see Blair Thomas. Maybe Brick & others from UVA are rated high because UVA does not say come up against the USCs of the college world.

4. championjets69

That is correct some of the players mentioned were better then others but for sure we have had only losers for the last 39 years which is a FACT BTW because we have not won even 1 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP during that period in time. Do you know since the NYJs were born as the NYTs in 1960 our overall record for those 47 years is still under 500 which means we have had crapola players for all those years except for maybe the 68 & 69 teams. Do you know to this day we have NO HOFers elected from any team except the 68/69 NYJs which surely shows the quality of the players we have had for all these years?

5. championjets69

That is correct just like no more Penn Staters no more UVAs

6. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Champ, what schools make your "Approved" list from which the Jets should draft?

7. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Today, Rich Hutchinson reported that Mike Tannenbaum once again reiterated that Chad and Kellen would be in a level competition, beginning today, and the one who won that competition would start at QB.

In spite of our groaning and whimpering, conspiracy theorizing, and scenario spinning, the NYJ CS and FO have consistently stuck to the story of the open competition between Chad and Kellen.

When we take this into account, along with the former and recent FA signings, it looks like the draft is going to really INTERESTING for the NYJ.

Should be fun.

8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I hope the open competition is done using an 'open' offense. If Schotty's offense "is what is" and not just a product of trying to put Penny in a position to succeed then this offense is flat out doomed for failure and Penny will be running the show.

I'm not saying I want to see an Al Davis vertical attack - just a more balanced passing game to open up lanes for our newly improved running game. If this is the case(which I think it will be) I see Clemens winning the job and the Jets able to score more consistantly this year.

9. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Browns have anderson and quinn, they cannot keep both, and it looks like they are going to go with quinn, it makes sense to me if they trade with the jets to get penny and we get anderson, because if anderson leaves they would have inexperienced QB's on the roster, penny can be that veteran presence at QB who could also step in and win for the browns if quinn is not ready, penny is better than any other backup out there, trade them and if it takes picks also fine as long as we get value.

it makes sense to me. we both win.

10. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Now what would we want with some QB who can't make the Cleveland Browns that has to start over and learn BS offensive scheme? Hell, Tui would be a helluva lot more effective that this "used newbie" for the first year. It's a step backwards.

If you're going to look for another QB, wait until 2009 after we have taken the division with our running game in 2008. Then we have something to build on. We won't be at such freaking risk waiting for the newbie to settle down.

We need a QB that knows how to run the BS offense now. We have to win in the trenches without making a bunch of rookie mistakes behind the center.

We have to give our skill players a fighting chance.

Be it Kellen or Chad -- it doesn't matter. What we need is a QB that can hand off and wave at the to-the-house RB running.

Let him throw every now and then to surprise the gassed defense.

We will not establish a winning tradition for the NYJ without respect in the trenches. It is much more gratifying (and a helluva lot easier) for the OL to do this run blocking as a first option (because it works so well always). If it works so well always, then when they do a play-action and go for a pass, they have a chance to wall out the defense and give whoever the QB is all the Brady Time in the world to do his thing.

After all, we have to learn the wisdom in the position that passing should be an afterthought, not the freaking last resort for the offense.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Anderson just got signed to a 3 year deal, and will probably starting because he saved that regime's job for the next 4 years.

They have a great QB situation- you have your starter, and then a backup starter. In a League where 63 QBs started- that is almost an average of 2 per team- why not have 2 QBs who can walk on the field and lead the team and not skip a beat??? I wish we had 2 fully capable starters.

Who cares that they are "inexperienced" a 5 year vet in Anderson is experienced. Quinn is expected to lead when they put him on the field- thats why he is a 1st rnd pick.

The idea to trade our tired, hurt, liability for their gunslinging leader in his prime would make Phil Savage an outcast in football- going back to the Pee Wee ranks.

Cleveland does not win in this situation.

12. JetsLookingforDWare

I wouldn't want Anderson anyway. I like like...3 things about him as a QB. His arm, his height, and his mechanics. He wasn't even *that* good...he had a sub-60% completion percentage and threw 19 INTs...Edwards and Winslow really saved his ass much of the time.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Arm, Height, and Mechanics are basically all you need in this league when you have the type of weapons he has. He's also really athletic. If he's the real deal, he'll have to prove it this year. He'll be a year older, and maybe he's learned how to read defenses a little better.

I think Brady Quinn has more upside, because he has legit size, pro arm-strength, and mechanics...plus he's a really smart kid. I'd like to see where he ends up.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Haha...but I bet you want Clemens, right?

15. JetsLookingforDWare

True-ish...it obviously got him a Pro Bowl berth and a nice contract last year...but I wouldn't want a QB who gets that nervous when pressured and who just can't place the ball that well...

I like Quinn better too.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He was a first year starter who stepped in from the third string throwing to a rookie receiver and you don't like the results? Too bad we didn't have somebody half as good.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

When we get a third receiver you will see that #11 is better than you think he is. I wonder what Anderson would have done with Coles on one leg and Wallace Wright and Brad Smith to throw to instead of Edwards and Winslow.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Absolutely nothing. There isn't a quarterback in this league that would've been successful behind the Jets' offensive line. We lacked a running game, and a slowish possession receiver, Cotchery, was our best wideout. I'm not knocking Cotchery...I think he's a solid player, but he shouldn't be number one guy.

Clemens should improve a lot because of our improved offensive line, and mostly because of his maturity.

Braylon Edwards wasn't a rookie...and he's probably established himself as one of the best wideouts in the game already. Winslow II is probably the most dangerous tight end when he gets the ball in his hands. He's more dangerous than a lot of wideouts.

Like I said before, nobody would've found success behind that swiss cheese offensive line that we had last season. I think Derek Anderson will have success in Cleveland though. He has big time weapons with Edwards and Winslow, a solid running game led by a solid vet in Jamal Lewis, and he's playing behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

19. JetsLookingforDWare

What rookie receiver?

He was throwing to the best TE/WR combo in the NFL last year.

Behind a top 5 O-line.

And he was well coached.

Sorry, but I think most QBs in his situation could put up similar or better numbers. Anderson did nothing that blew me away last year.