Private workout For Cherilus

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

A receiver is a must. I can't think of the last time I was truly excited about a rookie receiver, reverting back the days of Keyshawn. I want to see how Limas runs on his Pro Day..

2. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

We have a couple of steady blue collar talents in Coles and Cotchery. I dont want a big play receiver. I want a dominant offensive line and a NY Sack Exchange defense. Lets beat teams before we even step onto the field.

Where was Randy Moss last Super Bowl when Brady kept getting laid out?

I guess I understand the interest in a WR, I just feel like better more "sure thing" talents will be available at other positions when we're up at #36. From what everyone is saying, it seems like the BPA and most sure thing player will be an offensive lineman at #36.

3. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

Sweed is injury prone. he has issues with his wrist

4. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Quick question, slide Nicks got in trouble does he slide to rd 4?????

5. nyj55

nyj55 Member

i disagree, any chance to improve our line(s) should be taken. Sadly we all know how important OL depth (or lack thereof) is and ignoring it can ruin a franchise. A tall, fast WR would be great, but an o-line that brings fear to the opposing D's i think is the greatest asset in the game of football, even greater than a monster pass rush. A big-play skill player is a big asset to any offense, but an elite o-line elevates the level of the entire offense as a whole (just look at the revolving door of 1000 yard backs in denver)

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yea, we signed Woody, but that doesn't change the fact that he's older, and if he can start for a year or two, then give the job to Cherilus, who would be ready for the job, Woody's versatility would come in great handy as a backup, since he can play 4 positions fairly well. We haven't had a good backup lineman in forever. We've never replaced Kareem McKenzie, who was drafted and developed, I might add.

7. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

KRhodesMVP, I like guys who get blood in their eyes when they watch football.

I'm tired of trying to trick teams that have no respect for us. Until NFL people know the NYJ are hear to bust their ass first and foremost, none of our portfolio of " offensive weapons" will be acknowledged.

When the OL and DL of the NYJ strike fear in the trenches every time they line up, then we can get onto some winning ways.

If you are coming to play the NYJ then get ready to be worn out.

That should be the expectation that the team creates in the opposition every time.

The NYJ CS and FO should not rest until that is a reality. Never mind the ballet dancers. Their time will come after that.

8. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

KRhodes,

We'd all agree that the Patriots are proefficient on both lines, and the importance of the defensive line is an integral part of a Super Bowl run.

How could anyone not covet a big play receiver? Lets move away from Moss or Owens. Perhaps point out the immense impacts say a Wes Welker or a Reggie Wayne have on defensive gameplanning . Coles and Cotchery are steady and blue collar but are they going to prevent teams from putting men in the box to stop our revamped running game? I doubt. I don't think the WR answer is in this draft, especially around the #36 position. The draft really lacks the cream at the top of the WR class, although it is a deep one nonetheless. The Jets need an elite talent at that position sooner rather than later.

I still think Cherlius is the pick if he is available.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I wasn't clear and its my fault... i should have said that in the 2nd round i find the pressing need for a starter than a "in the waiting" linemen... i would want another lineman, someone who can play two positions for further depth. Most O-Lines carry 7 guys, just two backups each game, which can be dangerous. I feel that the 4th round may give us a OL that will take only 1 full year to be productive. Bender is going to need all of this year before he looks good enough to sniff starting.. i want someone to compete with him. Why not a 4th rounder who breaks out in 09. He will be cheaper, and a better value- there are so many tackles this year why not wait till day 2?

10. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Cherilus could easily fall out of the first round. After Jake Long you've still got Jeff Otah, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, and possibly Sam Baker who could be drafted before him, and any team looking for a left tackle would probably take any of those guys over Cherilus.

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Thats a really good point... if Miami drafts Long and Kansas City doesn't draft Otah or Clady he probably won't be there.

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Actually the OL talent this year, specifically RT (our position of need at the moment on the line) is not that deep. There are some fantastic prospects, but only at the top of the second round, then the talent drops off dramatically. Cherilus isn't just some bench warmer. He is an outstanding prospect, he just tears through Dlinemen like that are nothing. He has a great attitude for a RT and loves to clears lanes. And he is not the needs 1 year to develop type. He can start immediately (once again I watch Oline tape, but that doesn't mean anything, take what I am saying with a grain of salt it is IMO).

Think of this:

Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Woody-Cherilus with Moore, Montgomery, Bender as backups. That is an outstanding young line, that will dominate for years. And if the CS wants to they can put Cherilus as a backup to Woody for a while. Either way that is FANTASTIC.

I am telling you, Cherilus is the steal of the draft, a sleeper no one is talking about, just like Harris last year. I personally think he is the best OT, better then Long. The only reason other tackles are being projected before him, is because he is a RT, and RTs hardly ever go in the 1st round (LTs are valued higher).

I am tired of 4th and 7th round projects like Bender. We started rebuilding the line in FA, so lets finish!

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I fear Woody at RG because he got benched on the Lions O-Line, that scares me, but i'll take him as the short term RT... i hope you guys are right about Cherilus.

I saw him in the senior bowl and i flipped because he didnt hustle and get to the second level to make a block. As someone who takes great care in the O-Line i was really pissed at him for his laziness as if i was Callahan myself. But he is a BC O-Linenmen, so he's gotta be a 10 yr starter.

14. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Ive never seen Cherilus play but Im sold at #36 if hes there.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

How much are we paying for Brandon Moore right now?

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He got an extension- i don't know how much though... probably somewhere on the internet.

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I am glad that there is some interest in Cherilius. From what we have learned recently watching the SB, there is no such thing as having too good of an offensive line.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Faneca signing gives us a pretty damn good offensive line...especially if D'brick continues to improve and Woody performs well at RT. Mangold is a stud. Brandon Moore is very capable. The offensive line is very close to "dominant". We signed Kris Jenkins to take up space and control the defensive line. We gave up HUGE money to Calvin Pace, hoping that he'd bring us a much needed pass rush. This team is much improved on the offensive line and the defensive line.

We need someone that is considered a "big play" guy. Beningo spoke the truth last night on NFL Network: "This team lacks speed on offense." McFadden, Sweed, Hardy, Thomas...somebody.

Where was Randy Moss? He had 5 catches for 62 yards and caught Brady's only TD. He was also drawing double teams all game...opening things up for Wes Welker who had 11 catches for 103 yards. Burress, who is supposed to be the Giants' big play guy, had two catches for 27 yards...but he finally broke free and caught the game winning touchdown. Just because a player doesn't put up HUGE numbers in every game, doesn't mean he's not doing his job: drawing double teams, throwing blocks, making reads in coverage and telling the quarterback about them. Randy Moss is the fucking best player in the game when he gives it his all.

Nobody is a sure thing when it comes to the draft. Nobody.

#38 Mr Electric, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  19. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I think he is a beast as well I think he would be a huge pickup for us but would you want to sacrafice a 2nd WR for him??

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Yes, he is that good, and if they get him, that locks up LT, C, and RT for what 10 years?

MrElectric29

No, he's not. He is an average player when he has great players next to him, otherwise he sucks, and a penalty machine. On ANY championship/playoff team he is a backup. He is the type of player that can come in for a few plays or a series, but he shouldn't be starting.

The Oline will never be "dominant" as long as Moore is the RG.

Like I said normally I like the FO to take BPA. But anyone who knows Oline play can see Cherilus is a sure thing. A sleeper. There is a reason the CS is making a point of meeting with this kid so soon. Would I like a flashy new WR, CB, or RB to watch Sundays? Sure. But I am telling you if this guy is there and we pass him up, we will regret it down the road.

This is only my opinion by the way. I am not a talent scout. But I watch Olineman and focus on it, ever since high school. There is reason to be excited about this guy.