Our QB issue. What to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ghostridergo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

A freshman? Holy shit!

Kid looks good!

2. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Guys,
    re: Brick and Mangold, again I say to anyone who thinks these guys are average or below average, are really uninformed about the job of offensive linemen.

As I sated in a earlier post, Brick may never be a pro bowl LT but he is going to be very serviceable for years to come and an important cog in that which makes up an offensive line. Now in spite of what you may think P. Kendell was an okay LG but not in in the same room as Faneca. An with Kendall manning the LG spot in Brick's first year he did pretty darn good for a rookie and so did Mangold.

Then last year with these so called guards both Brick and Mangold were over there heads trying to do there jobs and look out for the other guy as well. This they will be able to do, down the road, but to ask this in there second year is just asking too much.

Now you add in what many consider the best LG in the game and then see how these two KIDS do this year. I say kids because they are just that, going into there third year in the NFL. The third year is just about when these guys will start coming into there own. It takes time to develop a top LT and Center or any good linemen really, on both sides of the ball, making the transistion from the college game to the pro's

With Faneca between these two kids steading them, they both can concentrate on doing there job first and then look to the left or right to help out. I personally think you will see very few sacks coming from the blind side this coming season if all these guys remain healthy.

Now if you do not see a marked improvment this season, then maybe we did reached for Brick at the 4 spot. I really don't think this will be the case and I think many who may have possed that question will have it answered with out issue this season.

Now if we can tighten up the right side we could have something very special for years to come. I'm hoping that Bender is the real deal and just needed time to get up to speed in the pro game. We could then try to plug him in at Moore's spot of RG with Woody at RT amd Moore to spell both during the games and be that solid back-up.

I love that kid from UVA, Albert, in the draft, he is a beast and could finish off what could become the best offensive line in the game. Read where other were talking about a trade down with the Bears at 14 and he could still be there. I know very well this would not be a popular pick and many would say we have other needs. Yet, I have always been a firm believer in, " it all starts up front" and we have ignored this area way too long.

I know that is just me dreaming and this will not be the pick, but if we could find a diamond in the rough. One of those fourth rounders that we could plug in at either RG or RT in a few years , that would be sweet as well....

In closing I think all Jets fans should hold judgement until we see how this new line comes together. The weakest link I see right now is Moore and maybe Woody playing on his side will improve his play as well. One way or the other, would love to see the Jets be able to run it to either side effectively and with the force to knock defensive folks back on there heels....

3. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Well said- Id be perfectly ok with McKelvin in round 1 and the best O lineman in round 2- I think there should be some nice options at #36. We could then have Moore take a seat on the bench and provide depth and our starting line would look pretty nice on paper.

4. JetsLookingforDWare

Oh damn true...it's disturbing that D'Brick can't blanket the whole left side of the line for us. Thats what the #4 pick should be doing.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Well, if this makes you guys feel any better:

Wikipedia lists Kellen as the starter and Chad as the backup. Not that wikipedia carries any weight, but just for your information, you know.

6. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I have always liked Pennington. He's a class act, and he never pointed fingers. But, because of his inabilities, it's time we move on and see what we have with Clemens. We owe him another chance, and if he too fails, then we find another. We can't afford to wait too many years, considering the age of certain key players.

7. jcc72

jcc72 New Member

Who knows what to do - I say give KC another shot with a whole season of starters backing him. But please don;t let me ever hear those 4 QB's names again on this board - It would offer us just more years of torture and agony (Gary, Dilfer, Culpepper & Leftwich)???????? If we wanted the last 2 we should have taken Vince Young in the draft who unlike all the QB's we have ever had since Broadway Joe - Is an actual winner. MIght not be the best QB mechanically but he knows how to win football games.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

In sports there are is only black or white. Good or bad even "average" is bad especially when your the 4th overall player picked in the draft. Just ask Pat fans if they had a successful season last season with that glowing 18-1 record.

9. championjets69

Unless we moved up VY was unavailable since he was picked ahead of Brick by the Titans

10. championjets69

Nope after Brick NEVER again a UVA player just like NEVER again a Penn State player

11. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

If that?s how you look at it, every single player who was wearing the green and white uniform since 1969 is a bust, because noone brought a Championship to NY.

Klecko - bust
    Martin - bust
    Toon - bust
    Gastineau - bust

Look out of your window once in a while.

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

So Champ your saying that because you think D'brick is a bust, you wouldn't draft Chris Long if he was there at #6 just because he comes from UVA?

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Uh....no. To sports FANS there may be only black and white, but even if D'Brick is "just" a 10 year starter for us at LT, that was a damn good use of the #4 pick.

This may shock you, but most top 5 picks aren't in the HOF...which is what you seem to expect from D'Brick. This isn't even addressing how weird it is to call a 24 year old a bust after two seasons and 33 straight starts.

#113 JetsLookingforDWare, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  14. JetsLookingforDWare

Hey, you can't fight that kind of logic.

15. ToESonNoES58

ToESonNoES58 New Member

Faneca will provide the leadership we need and you'll see how strong the left side of the line will be. And saying that you would draft from a particular school because of one player is honestly stupid...

16. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

That's not necessarily true. Brick hasn't been a bust or even close at this point. He may delvelope over time and become a dominate O-lineman. Now that he has legitimate counter parts securing the edges , he may even exceed your expectations.

17. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

While the jury is still out on DBrick- Every Jets fan has to agree that if we we would do it over again, we wouldnt draft DBrick number 4. We would draft a high impact "star" player who would change games and excite fans. D'Brick does neither and probably never will. Im a huge Tannenbaum supporter but he messed up with that pick. But it was his first draft so its not a huge deal. He followed it up with perfection in 07's draft (Revis in Rd 1, Harris in Rd 2).

18. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

they did not sign all those free agents,if they did not expect to make a run for the playoffs with the quarterbacks that they have.lets hope for the best with the roster that we have and the addition of key draft choices to be taken in this draft.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Wow...

You think every player is a bust except for Kerry Rhodes, and the two guys that we drafted at the top in 2007.

It's just getting really annoying reading all of your stupid complaints about Bradway, and Roberston, and drafting a corner with the pick 6. Everything you write about is absolute trash.

20. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

We can all disagree about things- no need for the hostility.