Our QB issue. What to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ghostridergo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. lightning

lightning Active Member

During his good years? A HOF RB...thats all...

2. JetsLookingforDWare

The same can be argued for ANY great QB.

Bradshaw had an offense loaded with HOFers.

Same for Aikman.

Same for Montana.

Same for S. Young.

Peyton Manning may be the key to the Colts offense, but having a great OL, great play calling, and Clark, Harrison, Wayne, and Gonzalez to throw to don't hurt him.

Even the Almighty Tom Brady has a great OL, arguably the greatest coaching staff of the early 21st century, a good running game, an extremely complex, versatile system that he knows very well, and has solid at worst WRs (though I realize none of them were big names til this year).

The QB is a piece to the puzzle, just like every other player on the field. The position has been glorified to death for years now, but at the core when it comes to actual football, he has to fit the system or adjust to the system, make the throws, and be able to lead. All positions have certain mentalities and intangibles that coaches look for.

I like Ainge for a few reasons...good head on his shoulders...decent arm...good size...4 year starter...played in the SEC...won't get overdrafted...stands tall and is somewhat mobile in hte pocket...better arm strength than he's given credit for (IMO)...his experience has made him good at reading defenses...he's struggled and been injured at points in his career and has come back stronger...good but inconsistent mechanically...

He's a very solid project for an NFL team to take. I like his potential to fit our system too.

3. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Good point. I will have to watch some footage on this dude Ainge but so far Flacco looks like my pick

4. Gunther

Gunther Member

Jets need a QB with intangibles. They have none on this roster

5. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

After all this BS.................CHAD WILL START!!!

6. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

Draft Joe Flacco!!!

7. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

i dont know why this is even a question at this point.. chad and kellen are going to battle it out in camp for the starting job. i actually think this is a great scenario... chad has already proven he can win with a team around him, especially a team that is built to run, which is pretty much what we are going for right now. and if kellen beats him in manginis eyes, then we have a 3rd year qb with a good amount of season experience already under him. either way.. if this line holds up like it is supposed to, either guy is gonna look 10x better than last season.

chad and kellen will both be on the team come september.. its just a matter of who will start. personally, id be very surprised to see kellen outright beat him, but wouldnt consider it a bad thing at all.

all this talk seems so stupid to me .. i cant wait for this season.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it will be interesting to see what happens, they very well may try to move chad in the next month or 2 for something which will leave us a little short in the qb area.

i would really like to see andre woodson drafted in the 4th if he will make it that far, give him a year at 3rd to learn while we see what clemens can do with chad backing him up and if it doesnt work out let woodson have his shot the following year with really nothing lost. if he plain out sucks then yeah we will definitely need to do some serious lookin gin 09 for a qb. you can substitute a number of other guys for woodson in this scenario but i happen to like him quite a bit.

so keep chad clemenes starts with a rookie as the 3rd in case things dont work with clmeens this year they will have an idea if they have anything with that draft pick.

trade chad start clemens bring in a 2nd string fa and let the rookie sit at 3rd again and see if he has anything that might work if clemens does not.

really either of those scenarios works for me, key being to give clemens his shot

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As every day goes by it looks more and more like the Jets will draft a QB at some point this year. They still only have 2 and I doubt it will be Brad Smith. He had his tryout last year and they can't keep splitting his time between two positions and ever expect him to develop. Most if not all of the FA QBs are signed now and the Jets passed on all of them which can only make you think they plan to draft one. I suppose they could resign Tui but that doesn't seem likely either. Maybe they just wait until somebody gets cut this summer.

#69 Don, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  10. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Isnt Ratliff still on the roster? Let's see how he does in camp.

11. Don

Yes. I didn't even see that. Not sure who he even is or where he was last year. Was he on the Taxi squad?

12. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Yes, he was on the practice squad. He has now been in the system for a year. I think he has the tools to be at least the #3 QB. but it depends on how well he develops.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Where do you get seven from several which is what I posted? Also have you humbly considered that if we have to restart because KC is a flop then by the time we are again 1/2 way ready as you post Woody & Faneca are also ready for retirement?

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

In my opinion Brick is lacking the "it" that is required to become a super star instead of just an average to below average player. Remember you are talking of the 4th overall player taken in the draft now. As for KC I agree that we should give him a chance with at least a decent OL in front of him. Also when CP was the QB the CS did not consider burners a need but now with KC that becomes sought of a priority so unless we find those guys KC will be limited to the CP style offense which = the same as having CP as the QB

15. JetsLookingforDWare

D'Brick is far from an average to below average player at his position champ.

*Edit* OK, not *far* from it, but he's above average.

I hate when fans go to the always useful, always vague "it" factor.

16. Don

You have to compare Ferguson to what he cost to detrmine his value. I agree he has not lived up to the #4 overall pick. In thos terms he's a bust. If we was a low first rounder or second rounder you could say he was above average.

17. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Brick isn?t the player, you would hope for at #4, yet. But he?s far from beeing a Bust. He?s a above average LT, who still has a lot of upside. He?s already a important pice of the Offense, and he didn?t have a lot of easy games the past two years.

18. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Draft Matt Ryan, start Clemens,trade Chad and make last years # 3 are # 2. We would be set for the future

19. Don

He doesn't run block well and he gets beat in pass protection all the time. Since those are the only two things expected of him I don't know how you can consider him anything but a bust for what he cost in both the pick and contract dollars.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

And it's that easy folks.