Some Old Shea Photos

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's a good one, champ, nicely done. :up:

It's funny how they despise the Jets down there. For all the flaws in our history, we have been able to torture the Dolphins quite a bit.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes they are wound up by a radio host named Joe Rose (former player) who really truly depises the NYJs & everything NY. One year before the game there Rose suggested that the blow hole fans go to the NYJ hotel around 3AM & set off the fire alarm so the NYJs players would be to tired & the blow holes would easily win the game. Naturally they lost that one also

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Jets at Shea?
    I don't know who thought of the idea first. I know I thought of it at a little after noon on Aug. 22, 2007. And I've seen the idea batted around in various blogs and message boards since then.

But with the prospect of a Rangers hockey game being the final event in Yankee Stadium's prolific history, I thought it would be a good time to re-examine the possibilities of the Jets playing one final game at Shea Stadium before they rubble-ize it.

It would have to be following the end of te 2008 baseball season, which Mets and their fans undoubtedly hope will carry long into October. That leaves two months -- November and December -- to figure out a Sunday for the Jets to drop by their old Flushing Meadows haunt.

And in the time-honored tradition of Shea Stadium aura, there's really no need to fix anything up. Don't even worry about extra seating, just stick the field in the middle of the bowl. If tickets are a problem, just have a lottery for season-ticket holders and give the ones who don't make it to Shea some kind of prize pack worth the amount of their ticket. Have them play on the grass that's there. Don't bother covering the infield with sod. Make it a real dirty, muddy, old-time throwback game. Pray for rain. No, frozen rain. Trot out the greats at halftime. Trot out the 1968 Jets, celebrating their 40th anniversary. None of them ever played at Gi@&%$ Stadium.

Will it happen? Who knows. Should it happen? Absolutely.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2008/03/jets_at_shea.html

4. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Its a great idea but Im sure Woody wont be able to work with complete incompetents like the Wilpons (im a Mets fan).

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm not sure why you think that a team that makes millions of dollars is run by incompetents, but they wouldn't have any say in the matter anyway. Shea is owned by the city, not by the Mets.

I wouldn't be surprised if their lease with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority forbids the Jets from moving a game just because they want to.

6. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

A Jets game at Shea would be awesome- shoot, there's 20 years of Jets history there. Shea will be torn down soon after that so it seems like a fitting farewell.

Unfortunately, I think its too late for it to happen. This would have had to be negotiated by now. I'd pay a ton of money to go that game.

7. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

A bunch of monkeys (literally) could replace the Wilpons as owners of the Mets and they would continue making millions of dollars. The fact that the Mets make money doesnt speak to the competence of the Wilpons. It speaks to the popularity of baseball in the biggest sports market in the country. The Wilpons have no understanding of baseball or sports in general. If the Wilpons had any clue about anything they wouldnt have allowed the Kazmir or Milledge trades to happen under their watch, they wouldnt allow a complete incompetent manager (Willie) and overatted joke of a general manager (Minaya) to remain employed. The Mets are a complete joke of an organization (and im a Mets fan).

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's not about the Mets or the Wipons it's about $. The Jetws would lose money by playing a game in Shea, the capacity for Shea is about 20-25K less than the meadowlands.

9. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

While I think it would be a terrific event, it really just isn't a feasible reality.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I like the idea of doing a preseason game there.

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well if you can figure out how to take the present 80,000 season tix holders & shoehorn them into 55,000 seat Shea then it is a good idea otherwise it is just a dream never to be realized

12. Italian Seafood

Not to mention they've already pre-sold and invoiced ten games plus the parking at the Meadowlands for this season, then Shea will be knocked down. So I'd say it's not going to happen.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

For many years I have wanted to have them play a preseason game there but the mets would never allow that b/c it is in the stretch drive of their season.

14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Charlie Stiener was excellent doing the Jets. Lord knows he sucked doing Yankee games though. Spencer Ross was the best though

15. Italian Seafood

We couldn't even play pre-season games there when it was our home.