Our QB issue. What to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ghostridergo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes if KC & Brick both turn out to be busts & IMHO Brick is well on that path then Man & tan sure pissed away our draft that year. If that happens which has been our history thru out the years with drafts then we have just been set back again several years in our quest for the VL trophy

2. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

We have to stick by Clemens one more year, and keep CP as the backup. However I would love to see us grab Flacco with our second rounder. This way at the very least we have a better backup then Tui next year when inevitably chad leaves. I got my fingers crossed for Clemens with a real O line, but I just have a sneaking suspicion he's not going to be the one. Flacco on the other hand, I get a sense he could be a surprise big time QB. And if we get lucky they both are good and then we can trade our surplus QB.

3. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Soory folks,
    very new to this format and I did not like the wall of type either I will try to edit the post....

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I wouldn't say 7, maybe 3. But that 3 is contingent on drafting a great QB if KC isn't the answer. The team is more than half way there in terms of being an almost contender. If KC is no good, then the rest of the team will be good enough, we'll just need the right signal caller. The only way it would be 7 is if we kill this regime and go back to a 4-3.. then i'll be really pissed.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

"When Chad inevitably leaves" is key in the decision to take a QB this year or wait until '09.

Chad's an expensive backup. He's also made it abundantly clear that he wants to start somewhere. That "somewhere" will not be here, IMO unless KC goes down. So this is all the more reason why we should be looking for QB insurance down the road in this year's draft. It gives us options.

It doesn't have to be Flacco, but it should be someone. This way, if (when) an opportunity comes along to get something for Chad, or when Chad's contract runs out, we already have someone in place.

I just don't want us being one of those teams that rebuilds and everything starts coming together, only to then have to scramble around at the last minute for someone else's castoff, has-been QB.

6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

VickBlows, you have some serious issues with the NYJ CS then. They keep paying Chad millions a year and now they are putting him fore square into the QB starter competition. Do you think we should fire Mangini et al, too?

7. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

To even think at this point that Kellen or Brick are bust is getting way too ahead of yourselves.
    Brick did fairly well his first year with Kendell next to him Pete really helped and settled him down. Last year I think both Brick and Mangold were both trying to pick up the slack of the guards and trying to do to much. I have to think that Brick might never be pro bowl LT, but will be a solid player in the spot for years to come and a strong peice of this and future offensive lines. Watch the difference in his play this year with Faneca next to him....

Kellen like I said earlier was just not given the tools required to have a chance much less a rookie QB. An yet, he did win a few games and if others had stepped up, the Jets under his leadership, might have won a few more.

This staff has a very good record in finding and getting talent from the draft. Other then the LB from Ohio all of there picks have made an impact some larger then others but an impact never the less. We have yet to see what Stucky can do, but last years per-season and TC showed great promise. Bender on the other hand being from a small school making the transistion to the NFL, may take a bit longer, but his up side looks quite good as well.

So as far as Kellen goes, we will know by the middle of the season if the Jets have there QB of the present and the future. With the eye for talent this staff has and some of the comments I heard both before his draft. Now having seen some of his play this past season, my money is on Kellen being the surprise winner of that years QB draft class.

#47 fltflo, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  8. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Im tired of the KC v. Pennington debating. The talk of "an open qb competition" is nothing more than a prelude to a trade. However, since the rest of the league (as well as the Jets) probably knows that Pennington is absolute garbage, the Jets will have to cut him. Either way, Pennington wont be a Jet next year. Clemens was drafted to be the quarterback of this team and absolute nothing has changed. The Clemens era begins now.

And do not believe anything that the dopey, lazy and ignorant sportswriters put out regarding our qb situation, especially their "analysis" of Kellen Clemens. They know nothing.

9. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Tansplant CP?s head to KC?s body, or at least, KC?s arm to CP?s body. Problem solved. Where?s Dr. Frankenstein when you need him?

10. ToESonNoES58

ToESonNoES58 New Member

I wouldn't call Pennington absolute garbage. He knows the system well and he put us in a great position to beat NE last year, coming off the bench, if it weren't for an overturned touchdown pass.
    He is probably one of the smartest QBs in the league and he understands systems very well considering he has been placed into a variety of offenses since he became a starter.
    I am not saying that he is absolutely the answer, but he is a QB I would like to have around because of what he brings everyday to practice and to games and he will challenge KC to be the starter which is something that is always needed. KC won't get any better if we just hand him the starting QB job.

11. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

yeah think about all those dropped passes McCariens had and how the running game was almost none existent for the second year in a row. Lets see how this running and throwing game is now

12. JetsYanks80

JetsYanks80 New Member

Given Kellen another shot. I don't want to see Chad take one more snap as a Jet. Does any know where Delaware QB Joe Flacco is projected to be picked? If he is avialable in the later rounds I would def pick him up as insurance for the 09 season is Kellen isn't the real deal.

13. German Jets Fan

He?s probably a early 2nd rounder. No steal there. I?d like to see us pick Josh Johnson with one of our 4th.

14. JetsYanks80

JetsYanks80 New Member

Josh Johnson don't love it, but i guess with a QB in the fourth round you hope to just get lucky with them.

15. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Do you not think Chad's had enough shoulder surgeries?

16. German Jets Fan

yeah, that?s why i would prefer the CP?s head to KC?s body thing.

I think there?s a real droppoff in this draft in the mid-late 3rd, so taking a flyer on a QB in the 4th isn?t a big deal. I haven?t heard any negative from him, on or off the field, so why not?.

btw. Anybody knows something about Dixon? How bad is his Injury? is he done? will he play Football, or Baseball or both?

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Josh Johnson is sick. He rarely throws a pick, and he can move. The competition he played against wasn't big time, but with a 4th or 5th rounder, it's okay to take a shot on a I-AA guy that shows a lot of potential.

18. since83

since83 Member

isn't this what all you cats felatting Chad says the coaching staff needs to do for him to play better. Chad blows.

19. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

How about this? we lure Favre out of retirement?

20. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

What talent has surrounded Pennington?