what about a qb @6

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Mar 10, 2008.

1. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Agreed.

And to think...Brady was a 6th rounder. But no, WB is right, let's handle the QB situation NOW, and draft one with our 1st pick. Let's get Matt Ryan, and if we can't, let's get the next best QB in this Draft (which I think the next line of QB's are projected to be taken in the 2nd round). Yeah, let's get a 2nd rd QB with our #6 overall pick. Or, like I said, let's move up to 3rd and take Matt Ryan. It's the best and smartest move.

(I wish they made sarcastic smileys)

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You're wasting your time with these two.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Did you read my emails? I agree with him?

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm not sure if Ryan is going to be good bad or indifferent in the NFL just like McFadden, or any other top player. If Ryan is rated No.3 on the Jets board and they don't believe in Clemens which I think is the case otherwise the idea of a QB competition in year 3 is just outright stupid or a lie, I would love it if they showed the balls to go out and get the centerpiece of their team. They should have done it with Cutler in year 1.

5. Italian Seafood

Why wouldnt they have a competition for the job after a 4-12 season? That's what camp is for, you're going on about how important QB is, you want no competition for it? Just hand it to a guy who is unproven? Why would you not want competition and the better guy to play? Unless you're afraid the guy you want will lose, that's all I can figure.

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Trust me, if Ryan is in fact #3 on the Jets Draft Board, I can tell u right now who #1 and #2 are. #1 is McFadden and #2 is Gholston. Seeing the way the Draft is headed we're sure to take #1 or #2 whichever is available, at which point, both could be available. But we sure as shit aren't going to pass up on Gholston or McFadden to pick up Ryan.

Maybe if we trade down and Ryan slips all the way down to the ?24th? pick (with a trade from Dallas-not sure exactly which picks they are) then maybe, even then it's a MAAAAYYYBEEEE, I think the Jets should consider Ryan. But I'd rather they take (Mendenhall if available) a DE, LB or RT.

Patience dude. It's an overlooked virtue. Clemens showed you how well he (and any other QB) would have played as a 1st year player behind a terrible line. Either way, QB is going to be a position that's going to be addressed after next year, because I doubt we keep Chad after this year, regardless of how we do.

7. winstonbiggs

IS lets face it you think Chad is a top QB who can take us to a SB with a good team around him. I think Chad is damaged goods who at best is a limited game manager who can take a good team to 9 or 10 wins and possibly with a great match up 1 playoff win. If your right than of course you want a QB comp. If I'm right than they drafted Clemens because they see his ability to be a franchise QB. In year 3 of a 4 year contract you don't put that talent behind the curve with a competition, you give him every first team rep from mini-camp, through training camp.

It's real simple you think Chad is great, I think he's at best damaged goods. That's why.

8. winstonbiggs

I'm patient and I don't think either Gholston, Ryan or McFadden will be available when we pick.

9. Italian Seafood

That's what you have in your head, anyway, along with bricks and garbage. I said let the two guys battle in camp and play the better guy. You hate Chad and don't want competition because you're afraid he'll beat out your boy. That's tough, the NFL is tough. Nobody gives you anything. I'm a Jet fan, I want the best possible guy in there, regardless of who it is.

10. winstonbiggs

I see you really do like to fish. Wrong bait.

If Chad beats out Clemens it's just more proof that we need to draft a QB. Clemens isn't my boy but Chad is your boy. You missed the point of drafting a QB.

#110 winstonbiggs, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Take Flacco. Now we have three choices, not two.

12. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I don't think you can compare our OL with the Pat's OL, or the Giants' OL, or the Colts' OL.

If you do, because you are blinded by these "skill players" and refuse to understand how they are made possible by the OL's pass blocking and more importantly run blocking, then you are really an afficionado of the Lone Ranger syndrome.

Mr. Brady had a great problem in the Super Bowl -- as good as he was, he could not overcome an OL that was getting its collective head beaten in by an opportunistic, would-not-be-denied, vicious defense.

If the boys up front don't do the job, man, then the skill players just won't do the pas de deux.

13. Italian Seafood

With the #6 pick? No. We have one guy that can play right now and win and another who is two years into the process of taking the reigns. With all the needs on this team you want to go back to square one and draft a QB #6 overall, even if it's a reach? And the guy probably doesn't even play this year? In the hopes that he's the next great QB just because you drafted him so high? No.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

QFT.....

I hope everyone understands that no QB walks in and becomes an All-Star... Romo may have, but the knock on him- pretty girl in the stands, playoff game, last play of the game is his, and he loses the game... Seattle and Giants- fumbled snap and INT respectively...

So we are to start over? Why?

I sense fear in us, the instability at the QB position... i understand that... but i am more fearful of throwing an Out of College QB into the fire because we are uncomfortable with Clemens... Who says anyone this year is good enough?? I see the weakest class of QBs in a while... no one is extremely highly touted except Matt Ryan... Everyone else is seen 2nd day.. Flacco in the 2nd round.

Knee-jerk reaction a 4-12 season and no "Tom Brady" behind center... so we are to run out and get someone... well what if that kid is in waiting and Clemens wins 11 games? Then what? "Why did we waste that pick on a QB when we had more pressing needs??"

Patience... I can't stress it enough-- Look at Eli Manning... Patience.
    BTW-- Clemens and Manning's 1st years... very similar.

15. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

1. No reason to draft a QB because Tannenbaum (whom we should all trust after last years draft) thought enough of him to draft him in round 2.
    2. Last year told us nothing about Clemens- he was in a terrible situation- poor O line and a lack of healthy receivers
    3. He was getting his first experience as a starting quarterback
    4. Kellen Clemens could be better than Ryan

16. winstonbiggs

Could be but the team better be in love with him if they pass on another QB. This is the same Tannenbaum who took a very soft but talented LT over Cutler and drafted the Boar Hunter in round 3 of a deep draft. If they love Clemens and the Pennington talk is all nonesense agree. If the Pennington talk of starting is for real they obviously have huge doubts about Clemens and need to bring a good one in now behind Pennington to take over the following year.

To even contimplate starting Pennington in year 3 after drafting Clemens if that's for real means that there is huge doubt about Clemens by Tannenbaum. It might not be the case at all they may well renegiotate, trade, cut Pennington or keep him as a backup? I actual believe if Pennington is on the roster he will start which means Clemens is toast as the future starter for this team.

This is a critical year financially for the team. They must be decent in order to get top PSL money going into the new stadium. Hard to know how that will impact the draft. It may well keep them from getting a top QB talent with a first day pick who is liable not to impact the team at all next year sitting behind Pennington? Yes Chad fans I think Chad will be the starter if he is on the roster because if he is on the roster it says a ton about Clemens.

I also can't believe Ryan will not be at least the 6th best player on our board which means if he falls to us he will be BAP when we pick.

#116 winstonbiggs, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They seem to know they need a QB but I think they will attempt to limp by this year without any major addition at that position. If they get McFadden they probably don't need one anyway. The dink and dunk will work perfectly to complement a strong running game and they will still get the ball down field fast enough.

18. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Who says we won't have a strong running game with a rebuilt OL and the RBs we have now?

We need to see how the draft unfolds to get the gist of the NYJ strategy.

One scenario may be that the NYJ went out and got lots of FAs to compete with same position Draft picks for the present and the future.

If this were the case, then there are a lot of positions (OL, DL, Secondary) to contest, without addressing the QB situation.

If this were the case, this scenario of contesting FAs vs Draft picks in the OL, DL, & Secondary would seem to ask for a good game management capability -- which both Kellen and Chad now afford the NYJs.

It may be that there is a concensus that to build the NYJ successfully they have to start with the OL, DL, and Secondary. Once these are solid in the present and future, then it is time to begin upgrading the skill players.

It actually makes a lot more sense to build a blocking, tackling, and interception base to support your skill player tinkering. If you can run the ball, and you can stifle your opponent's offense, then your skill players' learning curve can't hurt you nearly as badly as if you have the 07 OL "sieve".

19. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

So, what are we talking about here? You wanna move up to get Ryan? Or draft a 2nd round QB with our #6 pick?

Otherwise, this thread is pointless. This was a retarded thread the minute it was created.

20. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I am NOT a Matt Ryan fan. Sure I like the kid, but he doesn't have an NFL arm - and after suffering with Pennington's lack of ARM strength I never want to go through that again.

I'd be all for trading down and picking up an extra pick to nab Flacco...