Ty Law & Revis ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Mar 12, 2008.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Jets Will Host Ty Law Tuesday, March 11th 2008, 9:16 pm by Gary Grund

According to Adam Schefter of the NFL Network, the Jets are set to host free agent cornerback Ty Law. He will visit with the team tomorrow.Law, 34, was with the Jets for the 2005 season and recorded a career-high 10 interceptions before being released. He is currently seeking the final multi-year deal of his career. The Patriots are also reportedly interested in bringing him back and have set up a visit with him.It would be interesting to see Ty Law and Darrelle Revis together, as they are very good friends and Law mentored Revis as he grew up. Here is a recap from Law?s conference call with the Jets prior to the final game of the 2007 season between the Jets and Chiefs.

Q: When did you first meet CB Darrelle Revis?
    LAW: ?I have known Darrelle all of his life. (We lived) in a small community (Aliquippa, PA) and I was good friends with his uncle (Sean Gilbert). I knew him when he was a little pup.?

Q: When did you know that Revis was capable of playing in the NFL?
    LAW: ?I saw it in high school in the way he played and moved when he played basketball in the off-season, his aggressiveness and athletic ability on the basketball court because I didn?t get to see him as much on the football field until I got home and saw some of the tape, heard about him or watched him in college because I was playing on the field. During the off-season, his work ethic was phenomenal and you knew the guy had a chance because he wasn?t a knucklehead.?

Q: How does Revis? style of play compared to your own?
    LAW: ?We are similar in that we both like to play up at the line of scrimmage. He is aggressive and he is not going to back down from anybody. That is what I like about him. That?s something that you can?t teach. It was probably bred into us from our hometown, how we approach the game. He?s an all-around corner. You can?t label him as a ?cover guy? or a ?tackler?, he can do it all. As he gets more mature in the game and as he learns to pick up on some little nuances throughout, you are looking at an all-pro.?

Q: What advice have you left on Revis? voicemail throughout the season?
    LAW: ?I won?t give up my secrets, I?m still playing. When I?m out of the game, I can tell you that. They were little pointers, being that I played a lot of guys that he was playing. If I could have given him a mental edge going into the game - what to look out for, I would do that for him. We are a small little fraternity ourselves, as cornerbacks, so I did the best I could, but I?m not going to go into specifics.?

Q: Both you and Revis are from Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. Is that town a manufacturer for NFL talent?
    LAW: ?We have a lot of athletes that come from there, it is just a matter of being able to maintain and stay on the right path once you leave. We are two of the fortunate ones that stayed, had the mindset and will to want to succeed and go further. We are probably not the best athletes that have come out of there, to be honest with you. It takes a little bit more time, a little luck, but hard work and everything that myself and Darrelle put in, took us to the next level. We have some athletes there and being that we can be a face because we are in the NFL, other people will get an opportunity because of that. I?m most proud of that but believe me there are some great athletes there.?

Q: Who is the best NFL player to come from Aliquippa?
    LAW: ?You would have to say (Tony) Dorsett, being a Heisman Trophy winner and a Hall of Famer with a Super Bowl ring. He definitely had to be the most popular along with Mike Ditka, but it is a different position, as offensive and defensive guys. Hopefully, we can have that debate because I plan on playing a little longer and Darrelle has a whole career ahead of him. We will see. We are all proud of each other, but the most popular has to be Tony Dorsett.?

Q: Talk about your relationship with Revis? uncle (Sean Gilbert).
    LAW: ?We all grew up together. Even though he was a couple of years older, we did a lot of things together. It all started from the workouts. When we were younger, we ran in the gym. As seventh and eighth graders, we were up there wanting to be like those guys. When Sean was a senior, I was in ninth grade, so we worked out together and it was always chasing that dream. We played basketball together and did everything. It was a constant cycle. When I got to be there (a senior), we had the Chuck Fisher?s of the world there, a second round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals, also from the high school. Then Josh Lade and Darrelle. Constantly, everyone is pushing to make it to the next level. A lot of it starts on the basketball court because that is where we get to compete against each other in a different way, it is a constant competition, but it is a football town. Being that everyone is off playing football, once you get to the pros you don?t get the opportunity to see each other, but during the offseason everyone is back at home, working out, running and playing basketball.?

> http://www.jetscentral.com/

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Personally, I would hate to see Law back in New York. Didn't like his attitude the first time around and now he's 34.

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

this Gary Grund guy is something else :smile:

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Law may be coming here for helping Darrelle alone, even though the kid doesn't need too much mentoring. The way Law talks about Revis i wouldn't be suprised if he comes here for a moderate contract. Penalties aside, he's still one hell of a corner.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

I hope so because Revis really seems like he has the potential to be an all time Jet great. It's very rare to find a CB with his coverage skills, tackling ability, aggressiveness, size, physicality, and general well roundedness.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Let him go home to Boston, Thanks but no thanks, Revis will do just fine.

7. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Law is trash, I hope we pass- All we need to do is draft our starting cornerback in round 1 or 2 and draft a safety prospect in the middle rounds- Our secondary will be set

We dont need to throw money at an aging, locker room cancer whose best day are clearly behind him and whose asking price is gonna exceed his actual value.

8. ShutEmDownRevis

ShutEmDownRevis New Member

Isnt this an old interview? from wayyyy back when we drafted him?

Anyway, I'm not too interested in Law. He is a shadow of what he was and he has an ego.

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Even at his age he's better than Barrett and Coleman. He could probably play FS at a pretty high level. Maybe we pick him up as a compliment to Rhodes rather than Revis.

Law isn't trash. He's not as good as he once was, but he's certainly not trash.

10. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

He's a HOF corner. How is the guy trash??? Hes lasted this long in the Nfl.

11. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Suddenly Law coming here doesn't look all that bad. I didn't know these two were so close. It never hurts to have some chemistry on Defense -- or anywhere for that matter.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ever since they changed the d-backs contact rule he's been a shadow of his formerly effective self. I'll reserve judgment if they try him at safety, but for me it always comes back to Ty Law and Justin Miller being separated in the classroom like a couple of 3rd graders.

#12 abyzmul, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

First time poster long time reader... I wouldn't have a problem with Law coming back (if the price isn't threw the roof), if anything it creates more competition a the Cb spot. But I have never heard about any altercation between Miller and Law, what exactly happened? If they really can't stand each other it is probably better to look somewhere else.

also... how do you create a custom avatar?

14. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Welcome! :)

I can't answer the avatar question thou, it took me weeks to figure it out.

15. TheDooner64

TheDooner64 Member

The only reason I would want Law back on the Jets is to further Revis' development. Also, he might have some more motivation himself if he has Revis pushing him to stay in shape. Look at the what the pats did with old veterans, sometimes it's better to have a knowledgeable player than a young athletic type.

16. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

no I belive he leads the league in defensive pass interference calls, there are better place for the jets to spend the little they have left. I understand Tannenbaum is a cap wizard but its gonna take alot to figure this one

17. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Revis and Law would be a good combo especially since there good friends. I Wouldnt mind it.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Law isn't as good as he once was but he will still make any QB in the league nervous just being out there...more that any of our other CBs will do except maybe Revis.

19. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

depends on the price...................

20. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

I don't want any part of Ty Law. I'd rather sign Hank Poteat.