what about a qb @6

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

They just drafted one with a #2 the draft before the last one. They also took Brad Smith in the same draft who was a college QB, although he isn't going to be a QB he got a shot and it was addressed. That's not exactly neglect. With no line and no running game, a stable of QBs isn't going to help.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We used 1 first day spot in 3 years since Chad had his first shoulder surgery 1Brad Smith was not drafted to be a QB and was told that. That is neglect just like the OL was neglected for years in the draft.

3. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

You have no argument from me when it comes to addressing the problem with Quarterback. I'm with you 100% on it. The problem that I have with your comment is the "...maybe it's time to start drafting them early and often until we have one with another one on the squad being developed".

Didn't the Colts also draft Quarterback after Quarterback during the Pre-Manning era that made them the laughing stock of the NFL?! That was, until Peyton Manning came along, and even then...it was an UNDISPUTED notion that a QB would go with the 1st overall pick (Manning or Leaf - and even then, having 2 "projected" great QB's going at #1, showed there really was only a 50% chance 1 of them turned out successful). This year's Draft doesn't even have a sure #1 overall pick, yet, we're ready to bank that our solution is taking the #1 scouted QB in this Draft. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

4. winstonbiggs

How do you know a QB will not be the highest rated player on our board when we pick in round 1, 2 or 3? I don't know if they will or not but I'm guessing Ryan is rated top 6 picks by most NFL scouting departments right now.

5. winstonbiggs

The Jets have been the laughing stock of the league for 40 years now. The last great QB we drafted was in 1965. I would bet that Ryan is rated in the top 6 on a lot of draft boards, we passed on Quinn last year, Cutler and Lienart(who I didn't like) the year before for Clemens who they still don't think is ready.

6. Italian Seafood

Becaue Chad recovered and took us to the playoffs while Clemens has shown signs that he can play. Again, how many QBs do you want to draft in a row and how many can you develop at one time? It took a disasterous season to get Clemens on the field and the offense was so bad we didn't even get a real good look at him.

7. Italian Seafood

No they haven't. You've been reading champ's posts too long. We've had a lot of good QBs play for the Jets.

8. winstonbiggs

We have had a handfull of decent seasons from some very mediocre at best QB's the best by far being 98 by Vinny T. Chad had a lights out 3/4 of a season in 02 which was the absolute pinacle of his career.

9. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I think the majority on this board have been so used to rooting for a losing team so long that we actually believe we have had Good Quarterbacks? The last GOOD Quarterback to play for the Jets was JOE WILLIE NAMATH! Vinnie had a good year in 98 and Chad had 11 good games in 02! A good Qb is good for years not one season or ten games! Ray Lucas was GOOD for half a season in 99 which puts him on the same list with Chad and Vinnie! Ken Obrien was prob better than both Chad and Vinny. Pat Ryan had some good games. Even Richard TODD won a playoff game! Are these Quarterbacks good by Nfl standards or New York Jet Fan standards which is well below league standards!

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Personally WB, I think you're overrating the crap out of the QB position.

11. winstonbiggs

I know you do and I think you have it backwards. You need to build around a leader, a great player and most of the time that guy is the QB. Building a great line to block for mediocre talent to run and pass behind it isn't getting you to the dance.

12. FOURTHANDLONG

The main point that is missed on the Cp supporters. They act like he will not get into a situation if we make the playoffs where he has to throw.

13. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

If you're so sure about Matt Ryan and his leadership skills and his play-making abilities then I'd have to ask you this. I'm assuming he will go to the Falcons at the #3 spot. Would YOU trade up to get him? If you're just completely sold in his abilities, his leadership, his arm, his play-making abilities and the possibility that he WOULD be the Jets Franchise Quarterback for years to come...would you trade up to get him?

14. FOURTHANDLONG

Good Question. I would not. I would give Kellen the chance to prove he is not the Qb of the future. If he was great if not I would Try to trade up next year for Tim Tebow or monitor the Anderson-Quinn Situation in Cleveland. One of them will have to be moved next year. I would also sign David Carr for next to nothing this year as well to see if he can be salvaged.

15. Italian Seafood

Todd was a #1 pick who took us the the AFC Championship Game, O'Brien was a #1 pick who had a couple great seasons and was a solid QB for ten years, Boomer was an NFL MVP who still had game when we got him, Vinny you mentioned, Pennington was a #1 pick who has taken us to the playoffs three times. We have had good QBs, good enough to win and at times we have won with them. We certainly haven't been a "laughingstock" for 40 years with no QBs. Namath is gone, get over it.

16. JetsLookingforDWare

I would suggest you look up what guys like Parcells and Walsh have said about the QB position.

I mean, what was Elway before Shanny revamped the offense and created a system? What would Montana have looked like without the WCO, Walsh, and Rice? I mean, look at the production Walsh got from ALL his QBs (or QBs within his system), NOT just Montana.

And how exactly is a great leader and player going to become one without a running game? Solid pass protection? Guys to throw to? Smart coaching, gameplanning, and play calling?

To a point, great QBs are made just as much as they are born. Situation and surrounding talent matters just as much in a QBs development as his natural abilities.

Who was Tom Brady? Tom Brady was a doughy backup QB picked in the 6th round. Yes, his aptitude has allowed him to become a great QB, but I'm sure having an organization that has gotten out of the caveman "the QB does everything" mentality helped too.

#96 JetsLookingforDWare, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  17. FOURTHANDLONG

Do you really want me to list the Good Quarterbacks all the other teams in the league have had since Namath was in the league and compare them to ours. With the exception of the Cardinals, Ravens-Who had that Legendary Defense chad needs to win, Lions, Buccaneers-Who had the other defense Chad needs to win and the Houston Texans we are a laughingstock. Let me list 20 teams and who they have had in that timeframe at Qb and you compare them to Vinnie and Chad. I loved Boomer but he was a Bengal.

18. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I think Carr would be a good sign. I mean the guy was a 1st overall pick, wasn't he? And look at where he is now. Point being that Quarterback is an important position to fill. It's not a position to go crazy about when one isn't clearly a top overall choice (and even then, look where Carr is now. Giants fans were calling for change with Manning also before he started turning it around in the Playoffs and eventually won his ring).

It takes time to develop these young QB's. The latest QB that came into the league, struggled his 1st year, and turned the team completely turn a team around and every subsequent year after that was Peyton Manning (and even then, he couldn't win a the big games in the Playoffs) and I just don't think Matt Ryan has the abilities, etc. as Manning did coming out of college.

19. JetsLookingforDWare

Guys, we're not a "laughingstock" because we haven't had any great QBs. We're a laughingstock because we haven't had any great TEAMS.

I realize the QB is the guy everyone wants to fuck, but that doesn't mean he is the end all be all of success in the NFL.

20. FOURTHANDLONG

I agree with everything you said but with that said Brady has orchestrated drives and made throws on the field that can not be coached. Winning Qb's have that thing that separates them from the rest. Don't get me wrong a dilfer comes out of nowhere every once in awhile but for the most part good Qb's that win over the long haul have the intangibles that can't be coached.
    They turn mediocre players into superstars and make guys around them who are not that good better by their presence. A good Qb can take his team further in the playoffs than their talent.