Wr

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

The Coles situation is unresolved but I believe that it will become resolved. I don't think Mangini wants another Kendall situation going into camp. Plus, I don't see how Cotchery is not a legit #1. He put up 1100 yards last year without a stable qb situation.

In terms of the draft, Malcom Kelly, Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas and James Hardy all have #1, star potential, the two latter can likely be drafted in the 2nd.

2. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

I would take Devin Thomas but he might go in the late first round. If we were to trade with the Cowboys, we could take their 1st round picks and pick Thomas as well Quentin Groves for #6...

3. gaspanicmiller

gaspanicmiller New Member

WR is a big need, but if McFad & Gholston aren't there at 6, you have to trade down and get value. Sweed might be nice, but not that high in the draft.

Coles & Cotchery aren't game breakers, but having a solid O-line, a good running game and some play action will allow us to move the ball again, even if it's only in chunks of 20-30 yards instead of 40+ yard plays. With Clemens, remember that we have ball speed at QB, something we haven't had in a while. People talking about Pennington's arm stregth often don't mention that it shows up in two parts of the game: the first is how far down the field you throw, and the second is YAC. With Pennington, our YAC is lower because his 20+ yard ball is moving slower than it does for arm guys like Brady & P. Manning, so by the time our WRs get the ball, often they are tackled quickly. Think about how many times you saw a guy open across the middle, waiting for a ball, only to get hit a second later.

Getting a burner in the later rounds would likely serve the purpose of helping to spread the field, without costing us the value at # 6. I think if we can sort out a good O-line, find a decent TE and run the ball well, we'll have enough firepower to win games without needing to take on Chad Johnson's hysterics just to throw deep.

#23 gaspanicmiller, Mar 9, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  4. toontheman88

toontheman88 Member

In case anyone hadn't heard, "a lot" is two words.

5. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

A very easy way to remember this:

You would never type 'alittle'

Stupid, but you'll catch yourself the next time 'alot' spews from your keyboard...

6. ny4eva22

ny4eva22 New Member

If we could land Sweed, Thomas or Hardy oh man I would be happy all have good size and decent speed wid great hands...

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

randy moss has lost a step and was STILL the most domanent receiver in the nfl last season, setting the all time TD receptions (he alone made more TD's then our entire team). (and it wasn't all tom brady, who's had many receivers that never shined)

if randy moss was coming out of colloge TODAY with his current skills, how would he rate at the combine? he'd probably run a 4.7 40, bench press 75 pounds (once), flunk the brain test, and be totally unable to release from the line under press coverage.

but his hair would be corn-rowed perfectly, his vertical leap would be 19'-7", and his hands would possess a magnetic type attraction to swine skin.

again, if randy moss was coming out of colloge TODAY with his current skills, how would he rate at the combine? find me THAT guy.

8. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? the guy was timed in the 40 with a 4.32 with the Pats and experts said with training he could be a world class sprinter. He hasn't lost any speed as evidence by the way he almost caught a 75 yard pass in the superbowl blowing by two defenders. Moss in addition to blazing speed, vertical has some of the best hands in the league. Look up his trial runs with the Pats and you will see his times were dramatically better than a 4.7, not even close.

9. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Blowing by two defenders? He was BLANKETED by two defenders. What good is an "almost" anyway?

Look, I know in April of last year, Moss treated Belichick to some 4.32 speed. But that's April. After a LOT of rest.

The fact of the matter is Moss couldn't produce that speed in the playoffs. After a full season of football, Moss DEFINITELY lost a step. He was still damn fast; just not 4.32 fast.

10. D. JETSon

D. JETSon New Member

i dont watch 2 much college ball but any good big and fast guys available...our redZone O sucked last year..maybe Utecht would help he is 6'6 but a big WR would be a great compliment to Baker and Utecht if we get him....not to mention it would help the running game

11. JetsLag2

JetsLag2 New Member

you must have woke up and hit the crack pipe this morning, he would easily run a 4.4, and is never jammed where he can't get off the line, thats one of his strengths thats why is always running down field with coverage trailing, and you throw a jump ball to him im sure that "19 inch" verticle is bringing in a TD vs any corner in the league.

Yea hes gettin aged BUT COME ON.

12. lightning

lightning Active Member

Yea he's a hell of a WR

13. flgreen

flgreen New Member

OK

This is something I really think could happen.

Lets look at the Jets position.

Coles has apparently had 3 concussions in the last year. Not good.

he has two years left on his contract for about 11 million. The Jets have offered to guarantee that money. I think that is crazy on their part. I think Coles career could end during the next season, let alone the 5 he's asking for.

With his being offended by a guaranteed 11, I have to assume he is looking for in the neighborhood of 20 million guaranteed.

You have to be kidding me.

Coles is going to be a royal pain in the rear if he doesn't get his way. Done it before.

At the #6 spot in the draft there really isn't any player who is going to knock your socks off. Not to say a great player won't come from that area, but there is no one right now that I think is a "Blue Chipper" He's going to cost in the area of 22 million guaranteed,

One of the reasons Feneca is a Jet right now is because Az. couldn't scrape together the money to match.

Fitzgerald counts 14 million against the cap. he has made no attempt to agree to a renegotiation.......So far.

Fitzgerald is one of the elite WR's in the league. He made the Pro Bowl in 05, and could have again this year.

100 Rec, for 1,400 + yards 10 TD's

Pro Bowl kind of #'s. he si 6'3" 226 pounds. Big boy with good speed and excellent hands. Nobody at # 6 offers the kind of guaranteed return as this guy, and at a need position.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Between Coles salary, and the cost of an unproven #6 the Jets would probably save $, and upgrade the Position tremendously.

14. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

I have zero interest in trading away Coles and our number 6 pick for a selfish wideout whose gonna count some ridiculous amount against the cap. We would still have huge needs at CB, OLB, DL, and OL. The trade doesnt make any sense.

15. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

Don't all players lose a step after a whole season? Isn't that how things go? Your body gets tired?

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

please. moss NEVER ran a 4.3 40 at NE, he CANT deal with press coverage (especially if there's a safety over top), he HATES going over the middle (look up alligator arms and right there is a pic of moss). BUT! he STILL dominates the nfl.

i'm only pointing out that stats may not be the best test of the best receiver available.

i remember watching a kid named wayne chrebet a few times. smallish dude, white, fairly slow, but totally unstoppable on 3rd downs. led the nfl. who'd a thunk it? how do you think HIS combine stats compared to VanDyke?

combine records measurables, but the brilliant receivers have talents that can't be measured. only applauded. (hey! that's not a bad line! feel free to use it).

dont quote me combine stats when deciding what receiver to draft.

tell me if the dude can catch a football off his helmet to win the superbowl while a dominating safety is trying to square dance with him (dossie doe).

that is my only point. didn't mean to offend.

17. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

i would love larry fitzgerald... or roy williams either one is great.