TE Ben Utecht Visits Jets Thread - MERGED 3x

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AMJets, Mar 3, 2008.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm not sure what games you're watching..but Utecht has caught 3 TD passes in the last 3 seasons with the Colts...his hands are garbage. If he comes here to block, great....but he defenitly shouldn't be thrown to.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7499

2. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Those of you saying Utecht has stone hands couldn't be more wrong- stats don't tell you much about how good a guy's hands are; game tape is absolutely necessary. I've probably watched him more than most people since he was in college and he certainly does not have stone hands. In fact, he had arguably the most reliable hands of any receiver on the Colts last year. Dallas Clark probably had more drops than anyone in the NFL last year. The guy was a big time option on the Gophers, he put up some very impressive numbers in the very run-oriented Minnesota teams under Glen Mason. By his senior year, he was doubled all the time so his stats took a hit, but that's an indictment of the poor Minnesota WR talent around him. The Big X defenses keyed in on him in the passing game, and that would be enough.

Utecht has good, if not great, hands. Blocking has been my biggest criticism of him as well as his injury history. Blocking was his biggest knock in college, but he got decent by his senior year. The guy is a good offensive talent and is better all-around player than his former teammate Matt Spaeth, who's a better blocking TE for Pittsburgh (3rd round pick). Utecht has good height and is a reliable catcher. He's a fine athlete at the position.

I'd prefer a purer blocking TE, but I would not complain if we got Utecht. He has the height to help in the red zone. I've heard his blocking has gotten better and I'd love to see it in action in Green and White.

#42 Gubernaculum, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  3. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Garbage... I'd watch a little more football...

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

3 TD's in 3 seasons....man, we better throw him the big money, I guess....he's the 2nd coming of Tony Gonzalez. :rolleyes:

get a clue.

5. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

How much gametape of Utecht have you seen?

I'm sure his lack of TDs has nothing to do with the presence of Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, or Joe Addai.

Clearly, touchdowns are the best indicator of a receivers hands. Anthony Becht had 5 TDs in 2001, the same number as Tony Gonzalez this year. Case closed, Anthony Becht has as good hands as Gonzalez. I never had any doubt, but djak has provided more evidence for my belief.

Utecht had no drops through December (while Clark had eight in the same time span) and I he finished with the fewest drops by far of any receiver/tight end on the team.

It's ridiculous that you're talking about a guy's hands without viewing game tape. It's like talking about how strong a QB's arm is by looking at his stats. Hilarious stuff actually

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hey man....i was merely making a point in regards to lobacz87's post......apparently Utecht is Manning's #1 receiving threat.

since you brought it up...i've seen enough of Utecht to know that he drops a tonne of balls.....it's an opinion. If he comes here to "block", I'm all for it...but if he's coming here to catch balls....then it's a waste of money IMO.

And if Clark was such a big bust like you make him out to be...Dungy must be a moron to put him at the top of his TE depth chart....I mean, the guy only won a Superbowl 2 years ago...what the hell does he know, right?

Wow.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Just stop before you get raped by knowledge.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

truth hurts...

9. Fakterx

Fakterx New Member

How can anyone comment on his hands by looking at his amount of touchdown passes? He's on the same team as two of the best WRs in the league and Dallas Clark...The Colt's offense isn't designed to dink and dump to less athletic tight ends like Utecht.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I was talking to you jakoff.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

whatever dude...we'll have to agree to disagree. I know Utecht has stone hands...you love him. That's your opinion. I'm just glad you're not the GM of the New York Jets...that's all. :up:

12. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

NIce info. I like him too, anytime I've seen him he looks to have good hands. I think he would be a good pick up, if we get him to go with the rest of the new furniture I'm buying into Mangini wanting to win it all.

13. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

Let's just get John Carlson from Notre Dame in the sixth....

14. KSJets

KSJets New Member

How many passes did he drop?

15. JetsLookingforDWare

Stats don't matter and they lie anyway. He SAW it happen...sure he can't prove it...but what matters more...seeing something or proving you saw it?

16. KSJets

KSJets New Member

lol...so true. But still, I would be interested to see how many drops he had and how many passes were thrown his way. If he had like 2 drops in 40 passes thrown his way, that would be pretty good. Now if it's like 10-12 drops in 40 passes thrown his way, that would be pretty bad IMO.

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought about him. I know when I've actually seen him in a game on tv, the announcers always praise him. (Granted I don't see a lot of Colts games, but I've seen a few.)

I love that line! I'm stealing it.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I agree with Spectre. Utecht doesn't have "stone hands" and saying he doesn't have that many TDs proves nothing.
    To me, his blocking is more of a concern than his hands or receiving ability.

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

He probably wont get past round 4.

20. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Dont know too much about this guy but from his stats he looks like a solid Tight End especially since he was backup to Dallas Clark.