Tannenbaums not Gonna Pay Chad His Bonus

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KRhodesMVP, Mar 5, 2008.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Redskins signed Todd Collins for 2 years at 2.5 million to be there backup and he is better than Pennington. Paying the backup the kind of money Pennington is getting is insane. Pick up any vet, draft a QB and start Clemens.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Again..Which vet would you like to pick up?

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Why is he better than Chad? B/c he had an ok end of season for the skins? the guy was in the league 10+ years and never did anything, what do you think Todd Collins would have done w/ the 2007 NY Jets?

4. winstonbiggs

When did Pennington take a pay cut? I think you have your facts a little mixed up. He restuctured rather than get outright cut and play for the vet minimum on another team. Instead of playing for the vet minimum if he could have gotten a tryout he restructured to a guarantee of 3 Million and a 6 million dollar bonus based on starting. He didn't take one dime of pay cut. If he didn't count 12 million on the cap the Jets could have and would have outright cut him.

5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Pick one:

Again for $3 mil or less, I'd take: Green, Gray (that's funny), J-Lo, and maybe Martin.

6. winstonbiggs

He would have won more than 1 game which makes him 7.5 million cheaper than Pennington for the same production.

7. Murrell2878

To be your back up when the team is clearly being put in position to win today. To me that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'd rather pay Pennington and have him fight for the starting job than those guys. Sorry.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How do you know that? Chad has always been a better QB than him and Chad won 10 games just the season prior so how would Collins have won more than 1 game? would the line started to block for him? would the RBs started running well? would the receivers started catching balls? would the D have stopped blowing leads?

9. ShutEmDownRevis

ShutEmDownRevis New Member

If this is the case I would much rather not start him then. There's no reason to just "waste a season". You never know what can happen and if you think you can't win a SB with him then DUMP HIM and develop someone who CAN.

This is what worries me too actually as well. I noticed this last year more then ever he seemed to doubt himself in crucial situations and throw the game over pick.
    I always noticed that in big games (going back to 04) he is very prone to be too cautious, holds on to the ball way too long and then breaks the pocket and dumps off for a few yards or runs. The pressure may have just gotten to him.

I'm not sure that he really can throw the deep ball junc... He threw a few nice deep passes last year that were accurate but they still didnt have much "zip" on them, and actually the fact that he threw so few of them made me wonder if it takes a real stress on his arm just to throw one. About KC and the deep game, I think it's unfair to judge because Coles was injured so often during his games and we had an O-line that gives about 2 seconds time before the pocket collapses. You might say "Didnt penny play under the same line?" Which is true, but he had a healthy Coles, and lets face it... we KNOW Kellen can throw the deep ball with Zip.

10. winstonbiggs

As bad as the Jets were on the line, Chad was arguably the worst starting player on the team last year.

11. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Kellen Clemens

12. winstonbiggs

Clemens was the 3rd worst stater. He was horrible but not in the class of Chad horrible.

13. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Right now, Joey Harrington. To be a backup, lets be clear on that. But he wasn't that bad with Atlanta last season, especially considering what he stepped into.

14. jetglass

jetglass New Member

I have to hand it to you. This is a very insightful and intelligent post. Why didnt you just say "a player in the NFL for 6 million less?" Do you realize there are no semi decent free agent qb's out there?

15. Murrell2878

Are we seriously saying we'd rather have Joey Harrington than Chad Pennington? This Pennington hate is out of control!

16. jetglass

jetglass New Member

You are right. Clemens was in a league of his own in terms of horrible last year, way worse than Chad.

17. winstonbiggs

Which 4th quarter come back for the Jets not the other team did Chad lead?

18. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I think too people are looking at this solely in terms of the salary Chad is scheduled to make compared to the actual cap hit involved with keeping or cutting him.

Is a $6 million base salary and a $9 million cap number absurd for a backup QB? Of course it is. However, if you cut him now, you're still on the hook for a $6 million cap hit (or $3 mil in 08 and 09 if you wait til June 1). Considering Todd Collins got $9 million over 3 years and Josh McCown $6.4 mil over 2 years, in terms of cap savings, the amount is minimal.

Replacing Chad with a different QB will save Woody some money, but in terms of the salary cap, the savings will almost assuredly be less than $1 million while getting an inferior QB to replace him.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

not sure...but Collins probably would've thrown it further than 5 yards. :up:

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm not much on negativity....but if you look up "LOSING" in the dictionary...I'm pretty sure you'll find a picture of Joey Harrington there.