More from Cimini.........Draft Stuff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen88, Mar 5, 2008.

1. GangGreen88

GangGreen88 New Member

League insiders, observing the Jets? plan of attack in free agency, say it?s looking more and more like the team is plotting to pick RB Darren McFadden - if he?s available with the sixth overall choice. I?m not totally convinced of that, but I do know this: This draft is going to be all about upgrading the team speed.

Like I wrote recently, they?re buying bulk and will draft for speed.

Here?s a list of the top seven players in the draft (a consensus of various scouting services), followed by a quick analysis of their chances of being picked by the Jets:

RB Darren McFadden: A definite possibility. They could be tipping their hand if they sign Dolphins RB Jesse Chatman (visiting today). With Chatman, Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, they?d be well stocked in the backfield.

DE Chris Long: Too small to play end in the Jets? 3-4 scheme. He probably could stand up and play outside linebacker, but they just signed that guy, Calvin Pace.

QB Matt Ryan: This would mean rebuilding and, based on the mega contracts they?ve been doling out, the Jets do not see themselves as a rebuilding team.

OT Jake Long: He?d be hard to pass up at No. 6, but it would be a tough sell. They couldn?t play him at left tackle because that would be admitting D?Brickashaw Ferguson was a mistake. They?d have to play him at right tackle, but they just signed Damien Woody.

DT Glenn Dorsey: Two reasons why they won?t pick him: He?s too small to play nose (see Dewayne Robertson) and they just traded for Kris Jenkins.

DT Sedrick Ellis: See Dorsey.

DE/LB Vernon Gholson: Too small to play end. He?d have to play linebacker, but this brings us back to the Chris Long/Pace issue. Then again, after the year OLB Bryan Thomas had, maybe they feel they need two new outside ?backers.

2. GangGreen88

GangGreen88 New Member

Let me think......Jesse Chatman or Darren McFadden? No fking brainer!

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

i don't want mcfadden!!! this guy scares me on an NFL level. i just don't like that he goes down with initial contact.

4. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

WHy doesnt Schmuckface just write that there are 3 options for the Jets:
    1. Draft McFadden
    2. Draft Gholston
    3. Trade Down

And why is he talking about what "league insiders" have to say? Hes the team beat writer and should know better than "league insiders" about what the team is gonna do with the #6 pick.

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

what if tangini gets all screwed up and they hand goodell the paper and we all here.."with the 6th selection, the New York Jets select, Jesse Chatman"

6. JetsLookingforDWare

I'm getting really bored of repeating the same shit. Fans...Jets writers...why do so many people just spew the same shit out over and over without bothering to research?

For Long/Gholston, why wouldn't we draft them if they're there? Not only are those two probably the BPA at 6 (sorry, I'm not a McFadden fan and never really have been), but in a 3-4 there is no such thing is too many talented LBers.

I realize it's easier to bitch than educate yourself on a topic, but guys like Cimini keep repeating the same shit making me repeat the same shit on a forum where I'm NOT getting paid and in the end no one really cares. lol. That sucks.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I thought you were supposed to be funny.

RIGHT NOW: The best scenario seems to be trading out of the 6th pick.

8. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

I agree with you, I hope they trade out of it, I would take the cowboys picks. Give us a WR and DB in the 1st round Ill be happy.

9. The question is...who is the trading partner?It's dallas or nobody..and frankly they're looking at signing warrick dunn..which eliminates them from entering the DMAC sweepstakes.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Someone might want to trade up ahead of the Gaytriots for Gholston though. McFadden isn't the only player worth trading up for...

11. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

It would not be totally insane to think that the Jets could draft a RB not named McFadden. What about Mendenhall? Seems like the consensus is that he's a more complete back than McFadden and a safer pick overall. May be a bit of a reach with the 6th pick but I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

12. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

If they are going to take a back, take Mendenhall. McFadden has NFL bust written all over him.

13. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

If the Broncos still don't have a DT by the draft and Dorsey or Ellis are there, I guarantee they'll at least give us a ring. I'd take their first and 2nd to drop down 6 spots.

14. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

Bingo. Denver could be a match with us, we drop down and pick up a second rounder in the process. We could even trade down again from Denver's spot and pick up another pick or two.

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

With the extra second rounder you take Joe Flacco. He was looking like 3rd or 4th but now some are calling for him to disappear in the 2nd round. 6'5", 230, great leadership skills and a bazooka for an arm.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Trade with Dallas for 22 and 28 and take DeSean Jackson and Aqib Talib.

17. I just love how opposed people are to taking DMAC. It's funny what 2 years in the spotlight can do to a guy's stock...and of course Mike Mayock's whacky Player evaluations.

18. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

With the amount being spent in FA now, I wouldn't be surprised at all seeing the Jets trade down multiple times. Doesn't two 2nd rounder and a later 1st rounder equal roughly the salary/bonus of a player picked in the sixth spot?

19. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Player analysis done by Mayock versus one done by Cimini? In a heart beat!

20. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think Dallas is the only trading partner. The Jets could trade down and pick up a 2009 first round pick (and probably something else in this year). That is a more likely scenario. I'd like to see us move to the middle of the first round and pick up a WR, like Limas Sweed.