Tannenbaums not Gonna Pay Chad His Bonus

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KRhodesMVP, Mar 5, 2008.

1. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Heres a rotoworld note just posted

If he returns, Chad Pennington will receive a bump in his '08 salary, from $4.8 million to $6 million.
    His cap number balloons to $9 million, which is prohibitive for a backup quarterback. If Pennington isn't going to be given a legit chance to start over Kellen Clemens, it's going to be hard to hang onto him at his current salary.

Looks like theres zero chance of Pennington returning- Thank God

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I'm a Big Chad fan but at the same time they already made the switch and Kellen has to go into this year thinking and playing like the starter IMO if he doesn't then he doesn't deserve the spot.

I want someone who is going to lead the team. Not to say Kellen won't but that to me is the 1st step he must take this year.

IOW, Chad shouldn't have to be gone in order for Kellen to become a leader or it be "his team"

3. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Sorry, but nothing says that is true...

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I agree to a point...I want Kellen to have trial by fire and prove that he can wrest the reigns of the team. But politics are a different story. I want Kellen to win the team over with his play. I don't want him to have to politic the Chad-biased vets. It still boggles my mind that Coles stands by the guy that shortened his career, but that's a credit to his loyalty.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Chad is BETTER than Trent Green and Green is done anyway. If we can find a decent replacement I might be for it but who is out there?

Chad had ONE bad season behind a brutal OL. W/ the upgrades I am completely confident he'll get the job done.

6. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Lets go into the season with Clemens as our number 1 and draft a backup with one of the picks we get whenver we trade DRob

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Jets: Don't dare trade Pennington Wednesday, March 5, 2008
    Last Updated Wednesday March 5, 2008, EST 6:27 AM BY J.P. PELZMANSTAFF WRITER Since Friday, the Jets have been signing front-line players at a dizzying pace while doling out a whopping $62.75 million in guaranteed money to four newcomers, three unrestricted free agents and Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, obtained in a trade.

All of these moves means there is one deal they now should not make. Don't even think of trading Chad Pennington.

No, Pennington's arm hasn't gotten any stronger over the winter, but his savvy is still there. And for a team that all of a sudden seems to be constructed to win now, Pennington would be a better option at quarterback in 2008 than a still-unproven and still-learning Kellen Clemens.

Consider that Pennington, who was 1-7 as a starter in 2007, was hampered by a shaky offensive line that struggled to protect him and also didn't open very many holes for running back Thomas Jones. But the new-look line will feature free agents Alan Faneca (five years, $40 million, $21 million guaranteed), considered by many the best left guard in the NFL, and Detroit right tackle Damien Woody (five years, $25.5 million, $11 million guaranteed), an above-average nine-year veteran. Faneca, Woody, left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold all are former first-round selections.

And it also stands to reason that opposing defenses shouldn't be able to play keepaway so easily against the Jets, what with the run-stuffing Jenkins (five years, $30.25 million, $8.75 million guaranteed) at nose tackle and linebacker Calvin Pace (six years, $42 million, $22 million guaranteed) providing another pass rusher off the edge.

No, this doesn't mean it's time for the Jets to give up on Clemens and his potential yet, although it's possible they might look to take a quarterback in next month's draft. But if they are looking for a return on all of these investments this season, then Pennington should, at the very least, be given a legitimate chance to be the starter when the season begins in September.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Since Friday, the Jets have been signing front-line players at a dizzying pace while doling out a whopping $62.75 million in guaranteed money to four newcomers, three unrestricted free agents and Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, obtained in a trade.

All of these moves means there is one deal they now should not make. Don't even think of trading Chad Pennington.

No, Pennington's arm hasn't gotten any stronger over the winter, but his savvy is still there. And for a team that all of a sudden seems to be constructed to win now, Pennington would be a better option at quarterback in 2008 than a still-unproven and still-learning Kellen Clemens.

GREEN MACHINE
    J.P. Pelzman tackles all the behind-the-scenes stories about your New York Jets.
    Read "Green Machine"
    Consider that Pennington, who was 1-7 as a starter in 2007, was hampered by a shaky offensive line that struggled to protect him and also didn't open very many holes for running back Thomas Jones. But the new-look line will feature free agents Alan Faneca (five years, $40 million, $21 million guaranteed), considered by many the best left guard in the NFL, and Detroit right tackle Damien Woody (five years, $25.5 million, $11 million guaranteed), an above-average nine-year veteran. Faneca, Woody, left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold all are former first-round selections.

And it also stands to reason that opposing defenses shouldn't be able to play keepaway so easily against the Jets, what with the run-stuffing Jenkins (five years, $30.25 million, $8.75 million guaranteed) at nose tackle and linebacker Calvin Pace (six years, $42 million, $22 million guaranteed) providing another pass rusher off the edge.

No, this doesn't mean it's time for the Jets to give up on Clemens and his potential yet, although it's possible they might look to take a quarterback in next month's draft. But if they are looking for a return on all of these investments this season, then Pennington should, at the very least, be given a legitimate chance to be the starter when the season begins in September.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Oh, and GeorgeSauerJr you only have to place your comment in there once

8. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

The NY sports media loves Pennington- This article is nothing new

9. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Yeah. Like who, Cleo Lemmon? Get real will you.

10. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

It’s amazing how far 10 good games six years ago goes in the minds of some Jets fans.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Man, I could only dream that's what they'll do. I'd bet money that Flacco would win the starting job.

12. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Soooo true.:rofl:

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

you have got to be kidding me

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

i wanted to quote the guy saying he would be happy with trent green. oh my GOD!!!!!!!

15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Only on TGG does it make sense to splurge on your line and skimp on the QB. :breakdance:

16. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

and how many 'Good' seasons?

Year Win Loss (INC Playoffs)

2007 1-----7
    2006 10----7
    2005 1-----2
    2004 9-----6
    2003 4-----6
    2002 9-----6

Total 34---34

23 Games missed with various injurys.

Career Games Comp Att PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
    Career 70 1259 1919 65.6 13738 7.2 82 71 55 88.9

17. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Don't forget the legendary bomb to Santana Moss in the Charger game a few years back!

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Chad will come back for the 6 Mil. Nobody is going to pay him more money. He basically has no choice.

19. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Mangini says something that I like: Every year you have to start over -- you don't get to start where you left off at 10-6, and you don't have to dig down the hole and come up from 4-12 either.

It's 0-0 this off-season. There are also a lot of new faces (and hopefully more to come with some serious freaking SPEED!!!!) on the team. The 08 team must bond with their quarterback and the starter has to be established for his team mates to back him.

Guess what. Today there's no established QB on the NYJ. You got a couple of guys with some tenure, but nobody's performance has won the starter's position.

We are fortunate to have the BS offense, especially when we have the OL that creates the choices on which this offense is based.

The QB that takes best advantage of this NEW OL is the one the team will bond with and follow.

It doesn't make sense to ask everybody whose careers are on the line to "Trust Me. It's him."

This is a performance based game, the team has changed, and the competition that the NYJ CS has called for is the best, shortest path to getting a performance-based winner - starter for this 08 team.

I think this is where the CS is coming from. I think it's a sound position to take given the situation.

If the team drafts a new QB, he will take his place in the queue and start climbing that tall learning curve of the BS offense.

If a Flacco is so smart, and so quick to learn everything, that he is able to stunningly mature into a clever, quick-as-a-cat QB who can throw it 50 yards and hit the dime with the merest flick of the wrist -- after faking out the CBs totally -- then hey! More power to him!

But let the team and the CS see it happen before their eyes.

I don't know why anybody would be afraid of an all-out competition for the starting QB position?

Why shouldn't the starter earn it?

Nobody took it in this last 4-12 year, that's for sure.

And the QB needs to take it, not be given it on a white satin pillow.

This is football, for crying out loud.

Not a freaking political primary...!

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Oh, really?