Chad WILL Be The Starter. Again.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Mar 4, 2008.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why does everything questioning Pennington's ability get blanket-labeled 'Penny-hate'? Many people on this forum are basing their opinions of Chad from plays where he actually had time to throw and couldn't get the ball into the receiver's hands. Obviously the CS didn't think he could get it done, either, or the would not have drafted a guy to be an immediate successor and then started that guy halfway through a season.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Maybe the CS is really dumb? Maybe the CS is going to unload Chad? Maybe the CS thinks Clemens lacks the right stuff to be the starting QB and wants Chad to start even though he can't make all the throws? Maybe he doesn't like either of them but thinks Chad won't screw it up? Maybe he thinks they both suck and having a competition takes him off the hook for starting a QB that sucks if everyone knows they both suck up front? Maybe he thinks neither one of them are that good so keeping them both on the hook until he figures out the best course of action is the best thing to do for now? Maybe he thinks they are both great leaders, both can make all the throws and there is nothing that seperates them? Maybe he just wants to waste training camp and preseason by turning it into a QB competition instead of getting the starters ready and primed as a team from day one?

Wanting a competition makes no sense any way you slice it, if that is the real truth that means the CS really doesn't have a plan and I don't think that's the case.

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

This is the most important point: Let the best man win in everyone's eyes -- the team and the CS. Then they bond into a real team.

This business of plug-and-play doesn't work in the real world, no matter how alluring it is in the Madden game and in Football Fantasy. Football is a team sport, not a group of stars. They fit together and commit to one another if they're going to win this 20 game marathon of a season.

You can be frustrated by your fantasies of a player very easily.

But the team that wins plays for each other.

4. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Actually, the competition is the best way to quickly form a team -- this way it's not opinion, it's performance in front of everyone. Commitment to the winner comes naturally. it's football!

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

You're not seriously trying to say that he can, are you?

Two points...

#1) Don't take the decisions and actions of the coaching staff as incontestable. Even the best coaching staffs make mistakes here and there for which they are scrutinized. Our young staff makes many mistakes. Just because they choose to put the job up for grabs in training camp, doesn't mean that's the smartest thing to do...

#2) If you think Chad Pennington can make all the throws required of a legitimate starting QB in the NFL, you have not been watching the Jets over the last two seasons. Even on a standard, simple, 9 route passing tree, there are at least three throws Chad simply cannot complete on a consistent basis. On an NFL scale tree, there are many, many more. If you don't recognize this, and have been consistently watching the games, I'd have to assume you've been drinking way too much at the tailgate every week.

6. superbowl 69

superbowl 69 New Member

thank god I hope you are right about penny, nobody can hit the open cornerback for a touchdown like him, thank god his passes are so slow! this is the year I start layin money down against the jets, I meen if he is the qb I will be rich, this is fantastic. He sucks so bad he will make me very wealthy!

7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

maybe they're just talking up the guy they want to trade, to get max value in return. his weak arm won't be as much of a factor to a dome team....

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Woman's intuition but from a guy, I guess.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

with that line and a good running game we'll be able to throw over the top alot more.cp can't make those throws anymore the shoulder is done

10. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

If this is indeed the case, then it will become quickly apparent in the competition won't it? I mean, you don't seriously think they won't ask both Kellen and Chad to make a throw because it's patently unfair to Chad because of his spaghetti arm that can't chunk it anymore?

If the CS stacks the deck for Kellen against Chad, the team will see it, and there will be dissent. If the CS doesn't make Chad do everything that's needed, the way that Kellen is asked to perform, then the team will see it and there won't be consensus.

It's not the fans that Kellen and Chad have to satisfy in this competition, it is the CS and the team.

This is actually another good reason for the competition. The trial by fire will wash away any nostalgia because each team member will know whether or not they can depend on Chad and/or Kellen in every situation they're put into.

It's important that the team know this, not think it, or hope it, or want it like fans do. Every one of their own performances depend on whether they can count on the QB or not in every situation.

I know it may be hard to believe, but these players and coaches REALLY want to win, they're not just doing things to pull the wool over our eyes.

11. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I hope Chad starts and leads us to the playoffs...........He IS DA MAN!

12. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

chad pennington will be the starter unless, clemens all of a sudden gains a ton of knowledge, or chad gets crunched again. right now chad gives us the best chance to win, with the retooled lines. our team is obviously hell bent on becoming a ball control team, not an "air it out" don coryell team. we dont have the big time playmakers on offense or the turnover producing defense to make up for inexperienced mistakes. chad can possibly get us in the playoffs, clemens cannot at this point.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If we're all going to just agree with the decisions the CS makes, then what is the point of having a board to discuss the team? I am not a mindless drone that accepts every decision the CS makes as the correct one.

I think they left Penny in for at least 3 games too long last season. I think that if their is a QB "competition" that Clemens will win it. If he does not beat out Pennington for the starting QB job, I think we've lost yet another season immediately in addition to the number of years we have to take to find and groom another QB. I think Chad Pennington should be on the trading block right now and that we should be looking at a FA QB to replace him. I think that anyone who still believes in Pennington as a guy who can bring this team to a superbowl is out of there mind.

I'm sure the CS doesn't agree with all of that. I have plenty of respect for the CS, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do. Respecting someone doesn't mean that you have to blindly agree with everything they stand for or do.

14. JetsLag2

JetsLag2 New Member

stop replying to this ludacris thread.

15. amsingh

amsingh New Member

Have a competition, let the best man win. If that man is Chad, then the CS needs to pull him earlier than they did last year if the season starts to slip away. We have too much talent on other parts of the roster to sacrifice 8 games again for Chad.

16. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Just the fact that there is an open competition makes Chad the favorite. If it was Clemens' team, they would have threw him a bone at the end of the season and said the future looks bright, we're in safe hands, blah blah blah. But they didn't. Almost as soon as they COULD, they announced that there'd be an open competition for the starter's job next season. A ruse to raise trade value you say? This front office doesn't ruse well then. When you think about it, have you even heard the slightest hint of a rumor about him being traded besides the ones fans create? Of course you haven't because they're not trading him.
    It's Chad's job to lose, again. The writing is on the wall, not in pencil but in big giant graffiti letters. Pennington doesn't have to win the team over, he's won them over already. AND, he's the underdog in this race as the revolutionary poll on this board will clearly emphasize. This team has a history of rallying around the underdog, because this team is usually the underdog.

Aside from this argumentative opinon via mydeclaratory thread title, I am deeply troubled by some of this thunderous fist pumping to the contrary. What I don't understand, not for a single minute, is how a Jets fan (of all fans in this universe) could still NOT want a guy like Pennington to succeed when he is the epitome of this very team. Perhaps if you showed this team more love than hate, a little might actually permeate into the universe and reciprocate us on the field. I rarely have anything bad to say about anyone, but I couldn't sleep soundly without stating that I honestly believe some of you are an absolute disgrace to call yourselves a fan of this team. I'm sure many of this disgrace is the same crowd who cheered when he went down. I was almost ashamed to be a Jets fan that day. Living through a 1-15 season was NOTHING in terms of feeling disgust.
    I'm not saying you have to agree with me about who starts for this team, or doesn't start. I understand the logical choice is a young cannon arm. That's an easy argument. We're supposed to agree AND disagree or we wouldn't need message boards. We would just talk into the mirror if agreeing is what we wanted all the time. But a lot of you should really keep your hostility in check. Life is too short to have that much hate.
    If the type of venom spewed here was any indication of what ALL Jets fans felt about ANY player on our roster, I have a feeling our championship drought would never end. But I know better because I'm wiser. Some of the same people who are throwing him under the bus with the tired "DONE" and "FINISHED" comments now were doing it before the '06 season too. Remember?
    Playoffs. Comeback Player. Boo-yah.
    He was up for the challenge then, and he will get up for it again. You've got 7 months to prepare for the inevitable.

17. FatStupidLoser

For me its pretty simple. Chad is the best QB on the team. We need to get someone better or he needs to play. All you guys who are threatening suicide if Chad starts need to start screaming for a trade or FA or drafting a better QB now. Otherwise you play your best all-round QB. That's Chad.

18. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Your post was too long to quote in its entirety and you could have used better paragraph spacing. But your passionate retort speaks of a true "ALL-WEATHER" Jets fan and I applaud you for it.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

3-4 is better than 1-8! Period.

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

What do you know? You're just a fat, stupid loser...