Chad WILL Be The Starter. Again.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Mar 4, 2008.

1. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

In an interview, Chad pointed out that for a lot of the year he never knew how the pass was going to come out of his hand. Now, the CS knew all about that too, I'm sure. But there was a big difference then in 06 between Chad and any other QB alternatives they had.

2. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Chad would probably defend himself in this thread if his arm wasn’t too weak to type. And if he gathered up the strength to respond – his rebuttal would probably land in the wrong forum.

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I suspect that if the OL pass block well and run blocks well, we will see a lot more alternatives to your nightmare...

4. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Well, that's up to the NY CS not the fans the way I hear it...

5. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

So you would like to see us left with Kellen and Tui and a newbie perhaps...

The RBs better get ready to run the ball then, is what I have to say. Run the ball a lot and well. The OL better work especially hard to keep the defense off the QB, because if they make a mistake and miss a block and Kellen is bopped and down for a while, then the RBs have to carry the game and the team.

I think we should keep two QBs who are able to run the BS offense well, so that if one gets hurt, we have the other one and there's not too much of a drop off in keeping the defense guessing about what's going to happen next...

6. Phear

Phear New Member

hi, im new to this board, but chad is done, his arm just isnt there and the fact that most teams play up on him because hes not a deep ball threat will limit the productivity of thomas jones, clemens has a strong arm and with a new solid OL and an effective running game hes our best bet, i liked chad but i dont see how you'd want a starting qb who doesnt have any big play making ability, clemens is our guy.

7. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

So much Penny-hate....why? If the system is right and you have players around you who can play, you can be a succesful QB. I really don't see why everyone here is predisposed to choosing the QB with a stronger arm. If Joe Montana was a Jet, you guys would have crucified him as well.

Smart quick-thinking QB's with field presence and a mediocre arm leading any team will have more success than a cannon-armed Wonderlic-challenged QB. See Ryan Leaf for reference.....please.

Unless the Jets are planning on Drafting BC's Ryan (and no one else), all talk of trading Penny should cease for reasons of sanity.

8. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Let those fools bring their Safeties into the box. New OL giving Penny an extra second and a half would eviscerate them.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

We would have crucified Montana? Please. First of all, Montana had a better arm than Chad. Second, Montana never folded under pressure - he was the coolest QB I've ever seen play under pressure. Pennington is a bitch under pressure. Montana would have been a king in NY!!

Clemens is NOT wonderlic challenged. Just because he has a big arm doesn't mean he's dumb. Now I haven't been impressed with Clemens yet, but it's way to early to write him off. Chad on the other hand has been given what 6 years? I'm done with this guy.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Not if he wins the job this year, or I guess you'll have to root for another team.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

If he wins the job this season that's real bad for Clemens and the NYJ's but I will still root like hell for him if he does.

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It will be worse for FOURTHANDLONG, he'll need double bypass surgery.

13. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Pennington has the first 2 (used to be better with the 2nd one) and Clemmens has the last 2. If only we could combine them! :lol:

14. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Would you take Farve for a year or 2 to mentor Clamens?

15. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Conversely, can you recall a season in Penny's career that he had a supproting cast "remotely" close to what Montana had? This argument can go on and on. Let's just leave it at this...."A good QB shouldn't be judged mostly on the basis of arm strength. There's way too many other factors that defines a QB."

BTW, Ryan Leaf is Wonderlic-challenged. Not Clemens.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

It seemed as though you were implying Clemens is wonderlic challenged with that comment. If that wasn't your intention, then my bad, I'll work on my reading comp. skills.

Montana played in a different era without a salary cap. Pennington had a very, very good surrounding cast the year Martin won the rushing title. He choked under pressure in the playoffs.

A good QB needs to have a minimum level of arm strength to be highly successful in the NFL. I don't believe CP has it anymore - he did at one point. I completely agree that it is not the most defining trait, but if you don't meet the minimum requirements you're fucked.

17. Phear

Phear New Member

Chad could have an extra 5 seconds, it's not going to help him to zip the ball in there any harder, chad blew several games last year in the 4th quarter when he had time to throw the ball because there was nothing behind it. I guess if we want to run screen passes to leon and a few 10 yeard completions chad is a good fit, but we need a qb who can stretch the other teams defense, chad isnt it.

18. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I guess you and the NY CS will have to agree to disagree, and me too.

Have you ever thought that maybe the CS has a good reason for having this competition between Kellen and Chad? Do you think maybe they've thought about it a lot and have an awfully good rationale for it?

Otherwise, you don't have much respect for the NYJ CS, do you...? After all, the QB decision is just about the most critical one on the team. And, gee, if the CS can't get that right, well then, they can't be any good, can they? They can't get anything else right either, can they?

So, if you take the NYJ CS' overall body of work here, then maybe they have a point about the QB competition, no?

19. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

But if Chad couldn't make all the throws, then why would the CS want a competition? Doesn't make any sense, does it?

20. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

End this potentially endless debate. Let the QB's compete in TC. Give no quarter, take no quarter. Anoint no one. He who stand at the end of the last exhibition game wins. If chemistry is important to the CS, then they have to respect the most elementary concept in competition......survival of the fittest.