I think D-Rob is likely to be released at some point

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's apparently only one place that he's going to pull in 9.8 million cash next season and that's with the Jets. That gives him no incentive to work out a deal with another team at this point. The Jets won't pay that much for his services so the closer we get to that 3 million option bonus the more the pressure goes up on them to just release him.

He can then work out his best deal on the open market.

2. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Looking around other teams' message boards, that seems to be the consensus, and most fans looked at the Bengals as foolish for offering us anything for him....

There are fans literally salivating over the idea that Robertson is likely to be released, and brought in at a price much lower than what he is making now....

3. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Yeah, a trade is dependent on D-Rob signing with the team. So basically, he's calling all the shots. He knows we have to trade or release him, so why would he sign a contract with a team he doesn't wan to play for?

I LOVE Mangini and Tannenbaum this off-season. Absolutely love them. But D-Rob should have been traded before we picked up Kris Jenkins. We have absolutely no leverage now.

4. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

If that's the way it goes down, blame can be directly attirbuted to the person who gave him that contract.

Damn, I am always agreeing with these guys ^ on football, even though they are frickin lefties.
    :rofl:

(j/k guys, it's all good.)

5. rillo

rillo New Member

I said it in the other thread...teams will wait for his release. Only thing we can hope for is a restructured contract or maybe the Broncos come back into the picture.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yep, a number 4 overall pick and we will release him. Goes to show how smart we are, huh? Oh, and that doesn't even count all the draft picks we had to give up to move up to that spot. (I think that was the last time any team in the NFL traded up into the top 5 as well. Keep that in mind when people start talking about teams trading up and out of the top 5) Can't wait to see Ferguson go that route in a couple of years too when it's time for him to make the big money.

#6 Don, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  7. Ciorson

Ciorson New Member

Are you sure the $3M is impossible? If we kept him past that, then his value goes back up as we are basically threatening to keep him. Its also $3M less for someone else to pay him.

I guess it depends on how much money getting a trade value return on loosing him is worth.

8. Br4d

The 3 million is always on us at this point. The option bonus must be accelerated and paid out before D-Rob can actually be traded. So there's no incentive for another team to renegotiate that with him. The question is the 6.8 million salary, which is clearly renegotiable as long as D-Rob doesn't lose any guaranteed money in the process. A new team would work it into the bonus on the new contract and then prorate it on their cap. The Jets, however, cannot do this as any bonus they pay out instantly hits the cap in full when he is traded.

I'm really starting to think the Jets just waited way too long to get anything out of D-Rob in the end.

9. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

DRob's agent should realize that he stands a better chance of reworking a deal with the Jets than accepting a deal with somebody else at an order of magnitude lower financially. The only thing people are waiting for is a bargain. If he renegotiates to stay with the NYJ he will in effect lower his price but make him tradeable for picks.

If he waits until the NYJ cut him, his overall value will be lower.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If we pay him that bonus then it goes against this years cap. (I think) Even if it doesn't it would be a total waste as there is no way we will pay him the 8+ he has coming this year anyway.

11. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Ok, so if we cut him what is our cap situation like? I know nothing about the cap, so please don't insult...lol.

12. Br4d

His cap number becomes just the prorated bonus at that point all of which accelerates immediately. The overall cap figure that I saw for him awhile back was 11.2 million. The money we know he is due in cash this year is 9.8 million. That would make his prorated bonus hit for this year equal to 1.4 million and would mean that his overall hit would be 2.8 million or 1.4 million for each of the 2 seasons left on his contract.

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

honestly I would much prefer to keep him as opposed to straight out cutting him, he was our best DL 2 years running. He can certainly rotate at the NT spot to give Jenkins a breather, and he could move to DE. hopefully he restructures with us, that way we can at least get something for him.

14. joerockhead

joerockhead New Member

I knew that 4th and 5th round pick was too good to be true!

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

if we could afford to keep drob (which we CANT and we will CUT/TRADE him if he won't restructure), then ideally we'd move drob to DE (ala warren sapp) freeing up ellis to join BT and Pace at OLB.

for the same reasons we can't pay drob, we would be hard pressed to afford a #6 pick. We will most likely trade down to stock pile '08 and '09 picks. our three additions to the OL/DL are all in the "2nd half" of their careers, which means we will most defiently need replacements in 2-3 years. look for the jets to trade down, then pick up 2 or 3 lineman (OL and DL) in the mid-later rounds of this and next year's draft.

our top needs this year, IMHO, on O is a tall, posession reciever (deep threat or not) with QB a slcose 2nd.

On D our biggest need remains DE (with DB a close 2nd).

with $128M in FA signings, we no longer have any 'glaring, must fill or die holes', but we do have areas we could improve and areas we need good bu's, all 'fillable' with later pics at much better prices.

We WONT take a RB at #6 until we see how our current RB tandem performs behind our new OL, and we WONT take a LB at #6 now that we signed pace, especially if we re-neg drob (to play DE) and move ellist to OLB.

so much of what our strategy is moving forward depends on how the drob situation pans out. my gut says we cut him, move down in the draft, and pic up a DE, WR, OLB, then more lineman. if a potential QB is sitting there in the later rounds, we take him too.

16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Please don't tease me like this? Please?

17. ShutEmDownRevis

ShutEmDownRevis New Member

This fat f**k really needs to man up and just restructure. How in hell does he feel he's worth 10 Million dollars? NO ONE wants to pay him that.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If anyone heard Mike T on with Boomer and Carton this morning he pretty much said exactly what you are saying without actually saying it.

19. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Agreed. At this point, I think that it really isn't the money that's the real issue with DRob. Regardless of how you look at it, his best chance of maximizing his earning potential is to try and stay with the original numbers of his current contract even if it means reworking the numbers so that it's better for the Bangles. If he hits the road as a cap casualty, then his leverage drastically falls and he can say bye-bye to the $3 million and he'll have his base salary drastically cut.

If anything, I think he's only done what he did with Cincy because he wants to go to a better team. His best move may be to re-work his contract so that he becomes more appealing to the Broncos.

20. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

What did he actually say?