will we offer eugene wilson a deal?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by krd145, Mar 4, 2008.

1. krd145

krd145 New Member

i heard wilson is coming to town today. he knows our system. do u think he will get a deal done? what's his price tag? i hope he's not looking for 6 mil a year. thats a little ridiculous for a back-up last year.

2. Tumer

Tumer New Member

Anyone know if Eric Smith is still in the plans? He's been injured a lot in his first couple of seasons but whenever he's in there he seems to be around the ball. Solid backup with starter potential who plays with energy in the backfield.

3. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

the door was wide open last year for coleman and smith to claim the job...and elam ended up as the starter
    it is likely we bring in an extra player at S...so smith will likely be the 3rd S trying to climb
    considering he didnt do it last year...i dont think he will this year

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I may be the only one who likes Elam's style. Hard hitter.

5. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I liked Elam too. Great in run support.

6. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Elam looked like a sure tackler whenever I saw him- Im more interested in finding a big time cornerback to play opposite Revis than replacing Elam.

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

bingo u said it

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

then again its hard to tell how good your corners can cover when they have to cover for 8 seconds a snap due to no pass rush. we may not be as bad as we think at CB. but an upgrade from poteat definitely wouldnt hurt.

9. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

We need to address both. Rhodes can't do it all and if he ever went down we'd really be out of luck. Elam is strictly a two down guy they put in for run support. Smith comes in on all the passing downs and embarrassed himself on several occasions. He's nothing more than depth.

Wilson would be a smart pickup because he has the quicks to slide down and play corner in the slot if necessary. Versatility is key. He's also shown an ability, when on the field, to make solid breaks on the ball. If we can get him at a reasonable rate I see no reason not to add him to the mix.

-X-

10. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Again, we have a few safeties who aren't complete. Adding Eugene Wilson gives us a very versatile player who has proven that he can break on the ball. Besides Rhodes, our other safeties have yet to provide this.

Elam is great for run support, but he isn't even better than Smith who has shown flashes of being able to keep with the pass but isn't quite there yet. Eugene Wilson would probably be a starter for us, and at a reasonable price, why not sign him?