TE Ben Utecht Visits Jets Thread - MERGED 3x

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AMJets, Mar 3, 2008.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/03/with-oline-beefed-up-qb-situat.html

He was an UDFA, so I don't think there's any compensation required.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Utecht is a pretty good all-around tight end.

A Tony Richardson signing could make our running game one of the best in the league.

I want to see Eugene Wilson signed. He'd be an upgrade over Abram Elam.

3. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I wanted Utecht when he came out Minnesota- I watched/listened to a ton of Minnesota football from 02-04 (my roommate was from Minneapolis). I was calling for the Jets to draft Marion Barber, but alas the Tuna was the only one who was smart enough to draft him.

Utecht has very good hands but I'm still not sold on him as a blocker, nor was I when he came out. Funny story, but he punted for Minnesota too! I haven't seen him enough recently to see if his blocking has improved.

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

If we can nab Wilson, Richardson, and James (and even Utecht), this will have been an almost perfect offseason in my eyes.

5. Thrillkill

Thrillkill New Member

from draftsharks.com
    Colts TE to visit NYJ, Cincy
    Ben Utecht will visit with the Jets and Bengals. He's a restricted free agent but the Colts tendered him too low to receive a draft pick if someone else signs him. They probably won't match an offer sheet that contains more than $3 million guaranteed. Utecht is really a fine player who could help the Jets. He was starting to come around last season before a shoulder injury. He might as well choose the Jets out of the two - because Bengals OC Bob Bratkowski only uses TEs to block.

6. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

My idea would be get rid of Pennington for what ever pick we could get for him and pick up Joe Flacco from delaware and maybe sign a third string QB somewhere

7. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Exactly, what the heck are we waiting for? Why is Chad still on this team? Trade him for whatever you can get, or cut him. We have to find a veteran QB to come in and compete with Kellen.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Chad IS the veteran QB to come in and compete with Kellen.

9. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Chad is a noodle arm that can not run the same offense as a QB with an arm (Kellen). If Chad were to come in we would have to change our play book dramatically. Kellen won't be running the same offense he was last season, they are going to air it out at times next season.

10. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

im so torn about the pennington situation, i thought is arm looked great (for him) in preseason, but then that fucking line in the first game got him injured and he could never plant

with the refurbished line, i really think the guy is still a starting qb in this league. but his window is closing

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Why didnt we ever go after Alge Crumpler? dont we need a TE badly

12. slimmjim45

slimmjim45 New Member

im happy with baker as our main option at tightend

13. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

I agree, Chad has done some good things for this team but its time for both parties to move on. Bringing in another Young Stud in Joe Flacco would do much more to bolster the qb competetion than chad could. chad isn't going to make plays that a young Flacco could.

14. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I don't think we needed a TE so bad that we had to attack Crumpler, I'm blindly assuming he cashed in with the Titans... Baker is underrated, and frankly this offense is yet to really utilize him or any TE.

15. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Put it like this Chad Pennington has been in the league since 2000 and every year year after year were like how chad will do better this year... and he is missing a line and he needs better receivers and etc... the time has come to cut our loses and just move on cuz the longer we take he is gonna occupy a position on the field... he is part of the herm edwards era.

Last year when pennington wanted Randy Moss to come to the Jets and we see where Moss ended up so that says alot about Penningtons capabilities.. Ill gladly take a 7th round pick for pennington.... Our problem will now be there problem!!!!

16. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I love all these people who would be willing to jettison Chad. That would leave us with one of the studs available in FA as a backup just in case (and I know I'm stretching big-time because KC set the world on fire when he was in) that Kellen Clemens isn't that good.

I don't care if Chad starts or not, I don't want this team to have a crappy backup if the starter gets hurt.

17. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

giving up nothing(picks) and signing utecht without much competition from other teams would be a steal
    this guy doesnt even have to start
    having 2 TE's is a great threat, especially in a run oriented offense
    we dont have much threat to our offense...so i will take it any way we can get it

18. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Personally, I'd rather sign a TE who has plus blocking skills right now and is an OK receiver. Utecht is clearly a receiver first before he's a blocker. Baker is an elite TE when it comes to catching the ball and he's a decent blocker. Running the ball wins games and a solid blocking TE will go a long way.

19. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

I dont think a good blocking TE is available in FA, what about the draft?

20. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

It might evoke bad memories, but Kyle Brady is out there. I'd love to get our 1st rounder from 1995 back LOL- maybe we'll get something out of his this time. I'm not sure if Becht is a FA, but he wouldn't be bad either because his blocking is pretty damn good. He can't move after he catches a ball, but I can deal with that.

Jeez, I'm going to get killed with this suggestion. Two of our great 1st round TE's in one post- the universe might collapse...