Defensive Depth Chart

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ibleedgreen18, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Ibleedgreen18

Ibleedgreen18 New Member

DE:Ellis
    NT:Jenkins
    DE:Coleman

OLB:pace
    ILB:Harris
    ILB:Barton
    OLB:Thomas

CB:Revis
    SS:Elam
    FS:Rhodes
    CB:Barrett

That's looking pretty solid. Whats the weakest link in this armor now? CB opposite Revis? ILB next to Harris? DE? All are definitely serviceable and I would expect at least some of these to be strengthened with the draft. Our D is on pace (Pun intended) to be pretty strong.

2. McFadden5Jets

McFadden5Jets New Member

was our defense really that bad last year? we were in the middle of the pack i hope this works out but its our offense that sucks we were 6th to last last year i believe. faneca will help but god get some playmakers

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Barton, Elam and Barrett need to be replaced.

1. I think they should look into this year's draft for another ILB, a la Harris.
    2. If he comes cheap, I wouldn't complain with Eugene Wilson at Elam's spot.
    3. Even with Pace signing, I still think the Jets should draft Gholston if he's there at 6.
    4. I'd like to see some more wheeling and dealing for the second CB, but again, I won't complain if they pick up someone serviceable at 4th round.

4. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Our need are DE, ILB, CB and maybe S. There are some good 34 DEs in the draft this year...Balmer, C Campbell, D Moore, Merling. If we trade down Balmer or merling could be in our sites. I don't like the Barton/Kassell situation at ILB though (none in the draft either)

5. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

I argee with replacing Barret and Elam . I could deal with Barton.

6. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Huh? Did you just reads what you posted? THat's not a "pretty solid" defense at all. That's still complete shit. The D-line, while it gained a lot of size and should be solid against the run, completely lacks pass-rsuhing ability. Which means that we'd need an exceptional strong defensive backfield, which we don't. We only have one CB and one Safety. Last I checked, you can't only play defense on one side of the field.

7. Bill

Bill New Member

Here's how I see our defense. Get another cornerback, pick up some depth in terms of ILB and DE through the draft, and peripherally focus on the SS position.

Outside of that, I want us to take a stronger look at WR...but that's another story.

8. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

Agreed that this group needs to demonstrate that they can rush the passer consistently. On paper, run defense looks improved but we don't know how this group will do vs. the pass.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

A 3-4 D-line isn't expected to consistently rush the passer.

10. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

hahaa, dumb post. The Dline isnt suppose to rush the pass..And we do have a strong backfield, look at last years stats, and Im sure theyll sign a few more players to it anyway.

You cant have ProBowlers at every position. Thats a solid D, even without the players/starters well be getting in the draft and whatnot.

11. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

It's a solid defense on paper, but the entire front 7 needs to show they can get to the QB. Pace better put up some sack #s for the money he's getting. Thomas better remember how to get to the QB, or 2008 is going to be another long year.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...the d-linemen are supposed to take up blockers to create space for the linebackers. I don't except Coleman, Ellis, and Jenkins to get many sacks, because that's not really what they're supposed to do in this system. Hopefully, Thomas and Pace will provide us with a solid pass rush.

13. Scottso

Scottso Member

So does Kenyon Coleman. After the signing of Pace(I was liking Gholston with the sixth pick), I'm now hoping the Jets trade down for two players. One being a defensive end to start in his place.

14. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

If you look at the successful 3-4 defenses, just about every player in the front 7 could get to the QB. Look at Pittsburgh, Buffalo (Bruce Smith), Pats (McGinest, Seymour), even Carolina when they played a 3-4 under Dom Capers, the d-ends, at least, could rush the QB. I hear you about Jenkins, but that "occupy blockers" stuff only works if the other guys can get through.

15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Our secondary is better right now than the one that just won a Super Bowl! Relax at bit and enjoy the moment...

16. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

We run a 3-4, you know.

17. Beamen

Beamen New Member

No, but they need to create a push.. This myth that the DL in a 3-4 do not need to have pass-rush ability is just that, a myth. No, you're not looking for speed rushers on the DL when you run a 3-4, and no, they're not going to be racking up the sacks, but they NEED to be capable of pushing the pocket, and opening things up for the LBs and other blitzers. Holding their ground and eating up blocks is all well and good when defending the run, but it is NOT enough against the pass.

Kenyon Coleman, save for the occassional flash, is not suited to do so, and Ellis has become less and less consistent in that respect in recent years....

Right now, this defense needs a new S next to Rhodes, and Miller to step up, or a better CB opposite Revis. We also need much improved play out of our DEs, and for Thomas and Pace to prove that neither is a one-year wonder. We could also use a replacement for Barton, but he is serviceable right now....

The point is, this defense has many, many question marks right now. We've certainly improved, but we still have a bunch if guys with a lot to prove, and a couple real holes....

#17 Beamen, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I still think Gholston will be drafted as a pure pass rusher and with 3 4th rounders i can see us getting our ILB and SS there (Beau Bell, Ezra Butler and Silva Zbkowski) and WR i'd like to pick up in the 2nd or trade down from #6 and get the WR and CB in the end of 1 and 2.

If Tanny is wheelin and dealin now, wait till the end of April.

19. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

this is not a depth chart

this is the projected starting lineup (as of now), imo

20. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Lets draft Gholston at 6, our starting cornerback in round 2- Round 4 we can draft a lineman, ILB and DE

I rather build a dominant turnover creating defense for this season. We can worry about offensive playmarkers next off-season. We can enter 2008 with an elite defense, elite special teams and at least an adequate offense. This will allow us to make the playoffs and challenge the Patriots for the division.