All this talk about OL and DE/OLB, but what about WR?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyj4ever, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Do you trust Stuckey or Smith to step up into a solid #3 WR? Coles and Cotchery are both good #2 receivers, but neither is a legitimate #1 big play threat.

2. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Will Franklin out of Missouri -- ran a 4.37 at the combine is 6'1" and 214 lbs.

Sounds good.

3. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Coles and Cotchery are an excellent 1-2. All they need is a speed threat in the slot. That's it.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I think the Jets should draft a WR on day one because Coles isn't going to last much longer.
    I especially like James Hardy and Early Doucet. Doucet is probably going to be similar to Coles. He's probably going to catch a lot of passes and he'll do so in traffic. He should be a tough, dependable player. Hardy is a much bigger target who would give the Jets a legitimate red zone threat at the WR position.

5. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

WR is a sexy position, just like RB and QB, but it's also one of the easiest to develop players out of. Look at our two right now, Coles was a 3rd rounder, Cotchery was a 5th. The thing is, a RT is much more at this juncture than a WR. A good OL will make WR's look better. It's very rarely the other way around. A great WR isn't going to matter much if our QB is facing pressure from the right side all the time.

6. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

No but I dont think we need to grab a big name wr this year. With Cotch and Coles were solid we can always find a #3 down the road.

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Cotchery had a very good season and Coles will hopefully be back at full health and i do think we need another reciever but with great size i think we can look to the draft for our Reciver. James Hardy is a guy i would want at 6'7 220 pounds, Would be great in the Red Zone.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's what they said about Steve Smith coming out of college.

9. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

cotchery was a 4th...not a big deal
    we need a vet who can come in as the #3 right away...and a rookie to push for the #3 spot
    unless smith, stuckey, or wright make incredible strides...which you shouldnt count on...then we need 2 wrs

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Coles is Good. Cotchery is good, and Stuckey will return this year. Thats 2 better than a 2 two's and a good 3.

However we need a one, BUT...If we fix the Oline we have enough talent to play Ball control,
    get deep a few times a game, and be efficient.

11. thegoldengod

remind you that wr is a position that is constantly injured...hamstrings/fingers/whatever
    coles was IR and cotchery broke a finger or something?
    we need 2 wrs...if brad smith lines up as a #2 this season without completely earning it...i will be upset, bc clemens cant succeed without help...

12. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

depth a wr is important. Coles and Cotch greatly benefit from lining up across from one another. They force a defense to choose who they want to double. If either one gets injured are you comfortable with Stucki or Smith lining up as your starting WR? If we line either one up as a starter you can expect Coles or Cotch to face double teams with a rolling safety on passing downs.

not to mention - I don't agree that WR is the easiest position to develop. It normally takes a few years for a young receiver to adjust. Let's not get caught with our pants down if one of our WR's gets hurt. Don't rule out the possibility that Coles isn't here next year either(retirement/demand trade).

13. thegoldengod

i dont know how we can say stuckey is an improvement right now...he played 0 games and made 0 impact...and has an injury history
    if he does anything it is a bonus that we shouldnt be assuming will be there

14. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Cotch grabs 82 balls for over 1100 yards .. and he needs to rebound? 1 TD catch will improve ... but he had a solid year. I truly believe Coles when healthy is as reliable & dangerous as any reciever in the game. Stucky will be large as the #3.

That said ... depth is needed ... and I would not be suprised to see it added through FA & the draft both.

15. thegoldengod

infact wr is one of the tougher(agreeing with you)....calvin johnson didnt blow anyone away this year, and he still should become one of the best in the league
    wr tends to have more of the biggest busts...and have higher picks cut...each year a 4th or 5th round wr hits the waiver wire
    if a rookie wr makes an impact it should be considered a blessing....indy's rookie(gonzalez) wr did not blow anyone away working in that offense...how can we expect the same?
    we should draft one, but we still need a veteran

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I'm with you. I have no expectations for Stuckey. He's a fringe player until proven otherwise.
    The Jets should strongly consider drafting a WR in the 2nd round. If Doucet and Hardy are both on the board when the Jets pick in the 2nd round, that would be a tough one. Doucet is more of a sure thing, but Hardy has a higher ceiling.

17. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Hardy is too slow. Will Franklin is over six feet, over 200 lbs, and runs a 4.37

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Do you have a 40 time for Hardy? If it is bad, I might eliminate him from my wish list. I don't normally do that based on 40 times, but I might with Hardy because I'm not sure that he's tough enough to play right away anyway.
    My favorite player is Anquan Boldin. I was disgusted when the Jets passed on him to draft Victor Hobson. Q's 4.71 40 did not bother me one bit. He's so darn tough that a lack of great speed was not going to hurt him much in the NFL.

I watched Franklin a few times late in the season. He's pretty good, I guess. I just haven't seen him enough to say much more than that.

Doucet is highly impressive. He's very quick, has very good hands, and excellent footwork. He did get banged up a bit in college. If he stays healthy in the NFL, he's going to have a good career because he's got the talent.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

having a running game is only part of the equation...we don't want toend up like the Vikes last season. The Vikes only had 12 passing TD's all season...and ran for the rest (and Defensive TD's as well).

Am I the only one who thinks Bryant Johnson is a viable option?? He's fast, durable, and isn't afraid of going over the middle. Sounds like a great fit for the Jets.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Hardy ran a 4.48