Saints acquire LB Vilma from Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

All very good points. Those wanting more for Vilma are remembering the player in the 43 who made tons of plays, not thinking of a guy who just never found his way in our system.

We have cut our losses. Getting something back for a player who would have walked next year for nothing.

2. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

The defense has to improve this year. If the Jets defense still blows, there is nobody to blame but Mangini. He's jettisoned the guys who have had success in this league for guys that fit his "system.". 3 years in, its time to produce.

If the O-line is also improved, I think this team has the potential to make some noise. A lot of it depends on consistent QB play, and I have a strong opinion (that probably runs contrary to most here) on who should play :).

#162 Gubernaculum, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Brilliant sport, I take it that you play union not league? Best drinkers in the world too :up:

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Plus we KNOW we have a stud in Harris as well for next season.

5. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

The highest this conditional pick can go to is a third , the Saints just stole him from us.Vilma is pro bowl 43 mlb we should get atleast get a third minimum and 2nd maximum

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm upset to see Vilma go, but I guess it was necessary because of the extent to the injury on his knee and the fact that he apparently can't work with the defensive scheme Mangini wants to work with.

It's been real Jon. Thanks for the Rookie of the Year performance. I wish him luck in NO.

7. Canadian

Canadian New Member

I love Vilma, but I think this deal is worth it; hopefully he does well in New Orleans and we get a high draft pick out of this.

8. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Now that we know the deal is for a 4th round pick in '08 and potentially a 2nd round pick in '09 (with us in that scenario sending on of our 2 4ths to NO), then I say well done to the FO on that trade.

9. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

IM glad i wasted my time earlier posting how bad a job Tannenbaum did in only securing a 3rd or 4th rounder in 09- misinformation is at an all time high today.

10. nicolab

nicolab Member

good luck in NO Jon:up:

11. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Tangini are FORCED to blow everything up and start over again... They're dealing the prize jewels that belonged to the former Jets regime and figure on improving the team. You can't judge them yet, but at least they are making changes. Then again, when Kotite took over and we went 1-15, I seem to remember that the team spent a lot of money on free agents and everyone, not jsut Jets fans, expected that they'd make the playoffs.

The question I have for Jets fans is: What is an acceptable season under this new regime? Is a 5-11 or 6-10 season from the '08-'09 Jets going to be enough for us (assuming they are competitive in most of those losses), and enough for them to keep their jobs?? Will Woody Johnson accept 8-8? Or are we all demanding a playoff season next year?

Just curious...

12. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

A successful season in 08 will require the Jets to make the playoffs and compete with the Patriots for the division.