Saints acquire LB Vilma from Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Floridason

Floridason New Member

Good bye Old Friend, here's wishing you sucess in New Oleans!~

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And this is the front office making this deal that most of you just love to applaud at every turn.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Team MVP Leon Washington

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You forget to take your Anti-depressants today?

Vilma has been injured, and had to season that at best can be described as "OK".

We had both the Lions and Saints in talks for JV and got a 3rd or 4th for him in '09. That seems to have been the best offer. I doubt they moved him to the Saints for less than the Lions would pony up.

We just traded a ILB that was not doing well in our D, is comming off a major injury, and had one year left on his contract. If you weere expecting much more out of this you were fooling yourself.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

We could have gotten a first this year...he won DROY 4 years ago and made the Pro Bowl once. How can you ignore that?

6. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Put that in balance with his recent injury.

For those who strongly feel that the Jets didn't get enough in return for Vilma, here's food for thought....

Why make it difficult for a respected member of the team to find a new and happier environment by asking for a significantly higher price that would whittle down the number of interested parties bidding for his services.

I think in light of what I just said, maybe the FO wanted to make it easier for Vilma to find a new home by not being so demanding with their asking price.

A conditional 3rd rounder for 2009 isn't the best but it also isn't the worst deal that could have been made.

7. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Who's the skank in your avatar?

She's even fuglier than the other one you had.

:lol:

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

We gave him premission to talk to every NFL team but the Pats. After the combine the rumors were that the Panthers, Lions and Saints were interested. A 3 team bidding war brought back a 3rd or 4th in '09?

Are you saying that someone offered more and was turned down? After next year he would have walked for nothing if not franchised. Where is this perceived value comming from but the minds of Jets fans?

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Sounds more like player power and wanted to go to NO

10. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

The point that I was trying to make was this.

I can appreciate that Vilma's talents are best suited in a 4-3 with a big body in front of him.
    but you are wrong when you say we can't use him. Any team in the league can use him and it does not matter what system they run, that is the type of talent that Jon Vilma is.
    I would much rather have Vilma in the middle with Harris for one more year, and have Jon walk after next season then to receive a fourth round pick this year and have any other player on our roster in his place. As far as having found the replacement, I can only re-iterate that there are indeed two MLB spots in our system and telling me the Harris and Barton + a 4th rounder looks better than Harris an Vilma? I dont think so.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Did he have a no-trade clause to enforce his "player power"?

Anything but speculation to back that up?

12. gustoonarmy

100% speculation , does anybody else?

Like you said , apparently 3 teams were in for in and we got a conditional 4th?

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Jets Send Vilma to Saints for Undisclosed Pick
    Published: 02-29-08

By Jets PR Department
    Regular Contributor
    Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2082-jets-send-vilma-to-saints-for-undisclosed-pick
    The New York Jets announced today that they have traded LB Jonathan Vilma to the New Orleans Saints for an undisclosed draft choice. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

“Jonathan has been a diligent, productive performer throughout his tenure with the Jets,” said Tannenbaum. “I appreciate all of his contributions to the organization, both on and off the field, and am confident that he will be an asset to the Saints.”

“Jonathan is a student of the game who is always prepared and more than willing to help his teammates,” said Jets’ Head Coach Eric Mangini. “I am grateful for his efforts and wish him well as he continues his career in New Orleans.”

Vilma (6'1", 230) was originally selected by the Jets in the first round (12th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of the University of Miami. He started the first seven games of the 2007 season before being placed on Injured Reserve on October 27 after he contributed 39 tackles and two passes defensed.

The team leader with 116 stops in 2006, Vilma became the first Jets’ linebacker since Kyle Clifton (1984-86) to surpass 100 tackles in his first three NFL seasons. During his four seasons with the Jets, Vilma started 53-of-55 games he played and accumulated 460 tackles, 2.5 sacks, three fumble recoveries, five forced fumbles and 14 passes defensed.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Last season everyone knew Turner from San Diego would be available in one year. The Chargers held out for a first and did not get one. This season they will lose him for nothing.

Vilma has one year left one his contract. Everyone knew we were trying to move him and he is comming off a serious injury. These two factors drop his trade value by a lot.

Serious Knee injurys are a nasty beast, I'm still rehabing mine from November and am no where near shape to start playing Rugby again. On the other hand I'm not anywhere near JV as far as physical shape and means to rehab with. :grin:

It may seem like we did not get alot for him, but its full what I expected given the circumstances around it. If he plays well next year its upped to a third. Now we jsut need to pray a lot of good juniors come out next year and make the '09 draft class worth something.

15. gustoonarmy

Wish him all the best. Hes been a model pro and always conducted himself properly on and off the field. Cheers JV

16. gustoonarmy

I was one of a few here that wanted to trade Vilma last year after it was evident that he couldn't play 34 , then we didn't draft a NT either.
    Knee injuries and football are like oil and water , thats what finished my long distinguished career in football off :rolleyes:
    Sweet , you play rugby. Is it catching on over there?

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yea, I wish Vilma the best, I really do. He's a good person by all accounts and can be a beast in the 43. Like I said, given the current cricumstances, I knew we would not get alot for him.

:eek:fftopic:

Well, there is a hard core Rugby fan base in the Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Erie PA area. Several Club and high school or college teams around as well, its growing slowly.

I watched one Live game a few years back and was hooked. A great sport, tons of fun and for the most part amazingly friendly people to be aound to party with after the games.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the bigger issue here is that, and it has been mentioned, vilma is entering the final contract year......

provided he comes back and plays at least close to past performances - he is going to want all pro/#11 pick money.....

the jets are already shelling out big money on defense - during the last 2 years - coleman, thomas, now jenkins, harris and revis, and likely rhodes.......and the will be shelling out another several million for the first rounder this year which is likley going to be on defense.

forgot the 3rd round, 4th round crap...its a business, we did not do well in our investment but the loss is cut now - time to move on.

jil

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

there were a few shrewd posters that wanted to move him last offseason. guess they had to see harris in action first. JV likely would have commanded a second rounder last year and everyone would have been going beserk around here.

though in hindsight it may have been a bit more shrewd, though a bit riskier than now.

jil

20. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Exactly. He was known to be available, interested teams made offers, and the FO took the best one. It really is that simple.

Could they have held out for a little more in return? Maybe. But given the injury, we just weren't dealing from a position of strength/leverage.