Saints acquire LB Vilma from Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

It's not just a knee injury. It's a degenerative knee injury. One surgery won't fix it, it'll go some day. It may not be for another 10 years, or it may be by this October.

I would've liked the high end to be a 2nd, but the knee is a major issue with these teams. It may work out next year, but every year for the rest of his career it will be a question mark.

2. rillo

rillo New Member

Was this known when we drafted him?

3. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

We got hosed on this one.....HOSED.

He'll be really good, just wait. F!!!

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Yes, it was.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Vilma's play was not great Herm's last year also, not just in the 3-4 and he is coming off of knee suregery. Not a given that he is an all pro again. Thanks Jon and good luck.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If it's really a 4th round pick, conditionally upgrading to only a 3rd the Jets got screwed big time for waiting to deal Vilma. He'd have been a late 1st in 2006 and still a 2nd last season, maybe still a late 1st.

7. rillo

rillo New Member

Even dolphin fans think we got hosed....and many NFL fans I talked too

8. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

NFL fans are morons then, because we did what we had to do. It would've been nice to have him around in the inside with David Harris for a year, but then unless some miracle happened he would walk and we would be stuck with nothing.

9. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I dont post often, but I read here almost every day. I feel compelled to write in and give my two cents on the Vilma issue seeing as he was and will remain my favorite player in the NFL.

I think this is a huge mistake.

1. Irrespective of what system a team uses a talent like Jonathan Vilma is worth boatloads more than a fourth round pick. We all know how well he played in his first two seasons and then his production fell off some but that does not mean he should be de-valued. The only thing that should hit his value is the injury. It was not a reconstive operation that he went under. To the best of my knowledge he had some bone chips removed. Very different from and ACL reconstruction. Talents like this only come around so often and it kills me to see us kick him to the curb for a fourth rounder. It makes me sick actually.

What I think people need to realize is that just because he was not the stellar impact playmaker that he was in his first two seasons does not mean he was playing poorly. He was unable to play the game the same way he had been accustomed to for the last 18 years and it did not come to him so easily anymore. Unfortunately, we gave him less than two seasons to make that adjustment. I understand that we have Harris now, and we did not know what we had in him until Vilma went down. But at the same time, perhaps that would have taken some pressure off Vilma having a very capable player beside him at all times.
    We still never got to see what Vilma can do with a big body in front of him in a 3-4 and we never game him that chance.

I am really saddened by the move they made. It kills me to see him go to another team. I am going to become a New Orleans Saints fan as a result of this. I really think that next year, if he plays a full 16 games, his name will be brought up as a potential DPOY candidate. He is that good and everybody here who watched him knows it.

How we can give him up for a fourth rounder and have people talking about trading DROB for a second or a third blows my mind.

New Orleans made off with the biggest heist (aside from Pats getting Moss for a fourth) that I can ever remember.

To think that we gave up a second rounder for Thomas Jones and we only got a fourth for Vilma!!!

I think if we ask everyone on this board who is the better player, man for man we will say Vilma.

The New York Jets will regret this move and the Saints get awat with utter robbery.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

We basically traded him for a 4th or 5th this year. What a joke, I know they wanted to get something for him and they got what the market demanded. It's just bad luck that he got hurt one year before he was a free agent. And it's unfortunate that he just doesn't have the size to play linebacker in the 3-4. We really need 4 linebackers who are at a minimum 245 pounds.

11. rillo

rillo New Member

I understand trading him...but not for next years *4th round pick, we aren't the pats we need help now. Trade him for a 3rd in this years draft

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Yes, expescially considering that this draft is so deep.....and another thing.....he will definitely prove to be worth more than a 3rd in the next 2 or 3 season...

Hosed I say......hosed!!

13. hazmat

hazmat New Member

We didn't give up a second for TJ. We traded spots within the second round.

14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Do you honestly believe Tannenbaum could have gotten a guaranteed 3rd this year, but passed on it for a POSSIBLE 3rd in 09?

The market for Vilma wasn't anywhere close to what some Jets fans think it was. He took the best deal he could get for him, as well as doing what he could to accomodate Vilma.

15. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Are you kidding me? So you're saying that the Saints should not take into account the fact Vilma has been mediocre the last couple seasons? Think about it the other way, wouldn't you be pissed if the Jets traded a 1st or 2nd round pick for a player that hasn't been productive since 2005? Give me a break.

Toss in the fact that his knee injury IS a reason for concern, and the fact he's almost completely ineffective without some fatass out front taking blocks for him.

16. Nomad

Nomad Member

I'm sure the Jets tried to get more for him, but this was probably the best deal they were offered. The alternative would have been to keep him this year, then he's a free agent next year and you get nothing for him. What are the chances of him signing a new contract with the Jets when he is playing in a system he knows he doesn't fit into?

17. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Post more often.

18. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

You can only trade him for what the market gives you. If no one is willing to give you a third this year, you can't force them to. Don't you think if the Jets could have gotten a better deal they would have? I would guess many teams were probably worried about his knee injury.

This was the best they could get. And if it turns out to be a third next year, it is a pretty fair trade, IMO.

19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

this is a retarded post. retarded. mainly for two reasons...you have no idea what youre talking about when you minimize the importance of a player as he relates to a teams system.....we cannot use him and have already found his replacement.
    the second your post is retarded is of course for the fact that you said youre becoming a saint fan.....moronic. if you become a saint fan because they acuired a decent linebacker with a bad knee then you were never a jet fn to begin with

20. chinopec

chinopec Member

Thats why our Jets are a joke, we get nothing in return. Just like herm edwards, what did we get for that. Our GM needs to go, he has no clue. I have no problems getting rid of Vilma cause he doesnt fit. But get something for him. To me, we have a team of 2nd stringers. No real playmakers. I know Im gonna get bashed for this but I dont care sick of it. Just like getting rid of d-rob now, another 1st round bust. Is dbrick gonna be next.