Saints acquire LB Vilma from Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

2. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I think the mods should just put the definition of "CONDITIONAL PICK" in everyone's sigs. This is getting ridiculous.

3. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

4. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

5. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I think he'll look pretty cool in that Black uniform.

Best wishes for Jon...

7. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

This deal is very disappointing. I'm going to miss Vilma, I just remember his rookie year when he led the J-E-T-S chant and he seemed so happy to be here. I thought he was going to be here his whole career.

Cheers Jon...

8. rillo

rillo New Member

FTAThough terms of the deal weren't announced, it is believed Vilma will go to the Saints for a fourth-round pick in 2009 that could be upgraded to a third-round based on how he plays in 2008. Vilma is in the final year of his contract and he goes to New Orleans without a new deal.

So its only a third @ best....still think we could've gotten a better deal elsewhere, I'm sure another team would've given us a 3rd this year. This is bullshit IMO, knee surgery or not he'll dominate in NO.

9. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Comments like is annoy me, just do to their complete stupidity. The FO was not going to resign or franchise Vilma next year. So they had to get something for him this year.

And a conditional pick does NOT mean a 6th or 7th rounder. I means that it starts at a certain level, lets say a 4th, and based on performance it escalates up to a 3rd, or 2nd, or 1st. So the better he does, the better it is for the Jets.

How is that almost nothing?
    I said this already, but I will say it again. He is coming off a major knee injury, what exactly did you expect teams to give us? 2 first rounders?

#109 dabrowsk1, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If that is the trade, then the Jets are a joke. Vilma WILL play well in New Orleans. However high the trade can go, it will. Only a 3rd rounder sucks. Oh well. Go Saints. :)

11. rillo

rillo New Member

Agreed...now watch pple try to justify it. This is a joke.

12. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

At best a third rounder? WTF we got robbed then.

13. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Justify it? Sure, how about Randy Moss was only traded for a fourth, and he wasn't coming off a major injury.

The fact is we as fans view our players with jaded glasses. A 3rd for Vilma is quite far considering his injury and no one knows how it will affect him next year.

The FO had to move Vilma this year regardless to get any value for him. Would I have liked a 2nd or 1st, sure. But lets try to be reasonable and use some common sense.

14. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

We just got Jenkins for a 3rd and a 5th. It ain't such a bad trade.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its a good move. He could spend half of next season on IR for all we know.

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

ets trading Vilma to New Orleans
    John Clayton
    February 29, 2008
    The New Orleans Saints completed a trade with the New York Jets to acquire linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

Though terms of the deal weren't announced, it is believed Vilma will go to the Saints for a fourth-round pick in 2009 that could be upgraded to a third-round based on how he plays in 2008. Vilma is in the final year of his contract and he goes to New Orleans without a new deal.

The Jets started shopping him in the past couple of weeks. Drafted to be a middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense, Vilma didn't fit in as well when Eric Mangini installed a 3-4 defense. Vilma's knee problems also influenced the Jets' decision to move him.

For the Saints, it was a busy opening to the start of free agency. On Thursday night, they re-signed defensive tackle Brian Young to a three-year, $12 million contract with a $4 million signing bonus. They also re-signed linebacker Mark Simoneau to a three-year, $4.9 million contract that included a $1.4 million signing bonus.

Ouch!

17. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Guys, Vilma was at the Combine with his agent shopping himself. He visited Detroit earlier this week. I have to think if they Jet's could have gotten a second rounder this year or a conditional 3rd rounder next year that could have upgraded to a 2nd, they'd have taken it. There are plenty of teams with huge cap space yet hardly any of them were lighting up the phone lines to seek a trade conversation on Vilma. We got what we could for a guy coming off a pretty serious knee injury and who would have definidely been gone after the 08 season anyway. I'm happy with an extra third next year, in addition to the extra 4th next year for Kendall...

#117 JetFighter, Feb 29, 2008
  18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

My guess on why we are getting the 3rd round if he's healthy instead of a 2nd is because the Saints probably wanted to give us a 5th if he wasn't. I think both teams settled in the middle 3rd/4th. It may seem like we are getting screwed but to the Saints fans it would feel like they got screwed if Vilma comes up lame in 2008.

19. rillo

rillo New Member

Yes...i'll agree with Vilma for a 3rd is fair....but thats not the case, its for next year and it a 4th with a *possibility* to be a 3rd. I find it really hard to believe that another team wouldn't give us a 3rd this year straight up for his services. I'm no doctor...but many many players have come back from a knee injury and played @ a high level. Alot of pple on here want to diminish him because of this "what have you done for me lately" attitude, but the fact of the matter is, put him in a 4-3 and he'll be awesome....he's proven it. So I find this trade extremely hard to swallow because I'm sure there were better deals for him on teams that run a system that he can thrive in. Anyone know if we play the Saints this year?

I'm still questioning his "major" knee injury....I'm not buying its that bad, because no team will touch him.

#119 rillo, Feb 29, 2008
  20. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

We have the NFC West next year.