Saints acquire LB Vilma from Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

A healthy Jonathan Vilma and your rant is acceptable.

A fact is that Vilma has only started "light jogging", which is obviously not good for a player you are trying to trade. So with that understanding you make the best offer possible for a player you are NOT going to resign next year.

Assuming the conditional pick is based on playing time (what else could it be?) this was a shrewd move by Tannenbaum. With the Jets knowing all about Vilma and his work ethic he will probably be close to 100% come the start of the season. He is going to a team that in all likelihood will be in serious playoff contention, so you know the Saints are going to play him if he is healthy...which equates into a high draft pick....

Anothe post said it very well....Next yeat when we have 2 #1's or 2 # 2's the people on this board are going to be ecstatic....

2. TampaBayJetsFan85

Ok... WTF? F next year... What happend to getting a NT like Jenkins for Vilma? Or even freaking Shaun Rogers!

Wow... Saints got a steal here... We thought we killed the bears last year for Thomas Jones? lol... Saints just laughed in our face...

3. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Next year when D.Harris is leading the NFL in tackles you won't remember Vilma's first name..Jonathan by the way. Good guy,good player..didn't fit into the plans..it happens..Jon is happy to be protected again in a 4-3 and I hope he plays lights out because it will benefit us in next years draft.

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

And if we had kept him, we would've had a player with a bum knee that no team is going to give up even a 7th round pick for. Atleast we'll get a mid-round pick.

5. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

As to be expected, they like it.

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62762&page=11

6. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If we had kept him we would have got nothing next year, healthy or not.

7. k311

k311 Member

are you freaking kidding me? a conditional draft pick and thats it? so we just traded one of the better LBs in the league for close to nothing? you have got to be joking...

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We didn't trade him for nothing, we traded him for a conditional draft pick. The better Vilma performs, the better the draft pick the Jets get in return.

9. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Although I'm only speculating, I would think at this stage of his rehab Vilma might not have passed many teams physicals.

Most likely teams, including the Jets, did not want to take a flyer on Vilma being healthy and that's why straight up trades were not agreed to.

I posted many months ago a deal I liked regarding Vilma and a 3rd for Roy Williams (WR) and I got blasted. I oncluded the pick beciuase we had to entice teams to take an un-healthy LB that we were not going to resign anyway. As I said I got blasted......Maybe, just maybe, I was right and the Jets couldn't trade him for more solely on the fact that his name is Jonathan Vilma. We would have of course asked for and received much more had he been healthy this year....

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

:rofl:

All I can do is laugh at this point.

11. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

A conditional pick is GREAT. The more he plays, the better it gets. Nothing wrong with that.

12. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

He's not one of the better linebackers in the league. He's an average player in the 3-4 coming off Major Knee Surgery. What about that don't you understand?

13. akibud

akibud Active Member

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Why wouldn't they? This was a coup for the Saints. IF Vilma is healthy he will be the best player on their defense, and they got him for almost nothing.

15. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

It's weird looking at other teams' message boards, especially from the South. Everyone writes in full sentences and with perfect grammar and there's no profanity.

Fuckin' douchebags.

16. ArgyleFury

ArgyleFury New Member

Good riddance to vilma

i still dont understand why some Jet fans have a man-crush on Vilma. His record has shown that he is more hype than substance. The man was never an impact player for us. Not a sack leader, not a ball hawker, just loved to amass tackles 3-8 yards past the line of scrimmage. This is a smart move by the FO. His time here was up, Harris had a better half year than Vilma had in the last two he was healthy.We will receive compensation, and drafting a guy like Gholston will make everyone forget Vilma faster than you can imagine, even in NY. Now we have to pray he does well in NO next year to boost the compensation. Good start to Free Agency IMO.:gpc::pats_suck::finssuck:

17. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

BOTTOM LINE---Vilma went down. defense improved. You'll just have to get yourself a new Vilma poster for your room.

18. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

We have no one in the click-clack commercials now. Someone needs to step up.

19. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I look at this move as unloading. We would have gotten nothing for him next year.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I heard they are going to use Anthony Clement next year

Cick Clack!!! (Clemens sacked)