Jenkins to the jets for a 3rd and 5th rounder

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RAGINGVILMA, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Uninjured apart from the degenerative knee condition, you mean?

2. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

hehe...we'll complain about anything no matter how good.

This looks like the perfect fit on paper. We don't have any reason to complain as of now. It's a good day to be a jets fan, that it is.

An elite LG would also help make my week...but adding that beef to the front 7 was my no.2 priority.

3. rillo

rillo New Member

Not happy with this trade...we'll see how it works out. I think we gave up too much IMO

4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I think we gave up way too much. A 3rd & a 5th??? I dont think I could have parted w/the 3rd rounder alone.

5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Im just curious...what would you have given up? Just the third? A fourth round pick? I dont get how this is too much. The only thing I can think of for a pro bowl massive dt is that some might have wanted to just give up the 3rd and not the 5th.

Its a 5th round draft pick...one lower then the 4th we received for Herm Edwards. That always makes me feel better when I look at it that way.

6. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

In the land of Jets fans, you get great players without giving up any value.

7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

We are not the only people that wanted this guy. How many other teams offered a third? We needed him and we got him period.

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

For people saying the Jets gave up too much. 3-4 NTs are hard to come by. And Jenkins fits the bill, is in his prime, and available. This defense WILL NOT work without a stout NT.

So that being said, who else was available in the draft, to use those picks you are complaining about, that could come in and play 3-4? There are no Ngatas or Wilforks in this draft.

This is an excellent trade. Gives the team great talent at a prime position, fills a glaring need, and allows the FO to address other areas and depth in the draft (this year and down the road).

I honestly can not see the downside.

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Something tells me if the report said "Jets aquire Jenkins for a 6th rounder" you would have had some fans screaming "yeah but we could have gotten a Tom Brady with that pick!!".

10. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

QFT

People just don't really understand what this could potentially mean for our defense. Not to mention that he was by far the best option we could acquire at the time. Some of us fans get it....and some of us most certainly don't.

11. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

We got some of the beef we need for our D-Line. Not only that, we get a proven all-pro who's in his prime and has a miniscule contract for the next 2 years. It sounds like his pass rushing hasn't been up to what it used to be, but he can still occupy all the blockers we need, and that's all a 3-4 NT is supposed to do. Honestly, in all likelihood guys who could play NT like Athyba Rubin and Red Bryant are going to be gone by our 3rd rounder.

I love this trade so much I would have sex with it.

#71 MobiusOne28, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  12. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Is anyone concerned that Jenkins is a 4-3 DT moving into the nose?

He's going to be all alone there, fighting off double and triple teams while the Jets fishwife ends flail away against the tackles and TE's.

I can see him getting frustrated and overwhelmed, no matter how big he is.

13. GangGreen88

GangGreen88 New Member

Love it

Man, for the first time in awhile, I am pumped about this Jets offseason. Jenkins is the freak we have been looking for. If we can get Faneca, that would be icing on the cake. Plus our 1st and high 2nd round pick. I love it. Good job Tangini.

ps.....Vilma, I know I will miss you. Living here in Miami and a big Cane and Jets fan, I have learned to appreciate your professionalism. Good luck.

14. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

I honestly didn't think a Jenkins trade would go through last night considering the small amount of hype surrounding it. I can say, however, that I'm pleasantly surprised. I pray that Jenkins can fit the 3-4 NT mold so we can move DRob to end. Seeing Vilma go is unfortunate but if we swing a 2nd rounder out of the deal for next year, it'll be worth it.

As for other signings... it's gonna be a busy day. Faneca will likely sign today and I don't think the Jets will stop there.

15. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No, because Jenkins has been double and tripled teamed for years. Go ask a Carolina fan.

And the knock on Jenkins has been his pass rushing, not his blocking. In the 3-4 he will not be asked to pass rush as much. He just needs block and open some gaps for the LBs. Which he is more than capable. We won't know for sure until the season starts, but he could thrive in the 3-4.

16. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Chances are we acquire a 3rd rounder for DRob (if not a 2nd). So we would have a 1st rounder, 1-2nd, 1-3rd, 2-4th, 1-6th & 1-7th. Only now, we got a good NT with 7 picks still in this draft. I like it.

17. rillo

rillo New Member

Wait...we made this trade not knowing if he can't thrive in the 3-4 as NT? I admit I don't know much about Carolina and what defense they run...but I can't see this regime making this risky move just based on hope.

18. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Where did the second 4th rounder come from? The fourth for Kendall is next year, Vilma's trade comes into play nexr year as well.

19. rillo

rillo New Member

I was gonna post the same...I thought I missed something here. I can't find any info on the Vilma trade....did we trade him for a next years third? Please tell me i'm wrong....please

20. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Plus, the Packers just traded a DT to the Browns for a 2nd round pick, and KJ has proven more for a longer period of time than that guy. Good trade IMO.