Jenkins to the jets for a 3rd and 5th rounder

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RAGINGVILMA, Feb 29, 2008.

1. RAGINGVILMA

RAGINGVILMA New Member

#1 RAGINGVILMA, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

nice...i wish they just gave vilma stright up for him

3. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I'm shocked how active the first few hours have been, and not just for the jets, the entire NFL.

Could this be an offseason without disapointment?

4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

^^^^^ i think sooo... i hope the jets are busy...

5. hookteeth

hookteeth Member

I said it once and I say it again two picks for this guy. Doesn't he have a history of injuries just like Vilma, and we didn't get two picks for him. What a great job man/tan are doing in free agency, huh

6. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Nice. It's about time we add some quality bulk to the DL.

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Jenkins has played 32 straight games since his injury, Vilma has yet to step on a football field since his knee injury. And Jenkins doesn't have any degenerative injuries like Vilma's knee.

Oh yeah, and Jenkins has a much better resume and is still one of the best at his position.

8. Rod_2

Rod_2 Member

They gave up too much.

9. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Work with me here.. Jonathan Vilma is great linebacker. We both agree on that correct? We've seen what his production is like in a 4-3 Defense, know he was worth every penny. Then, we see him in the 3-4 Defense. He became a different, non factor, player in our system. We know Vilma didn't get dumber, or lose skill, but we also know he cannot play in the system we need him to play in. Last year, we drafted David Harris with the hopes he could replace Vilma if Vilma didn't catch on. In the half a season Harris played, he was more productive the Vilma ever was in the 3-4... and all things considered, his rookie year was equally, if not more impressive then Vilma's. So the ILB position, we know is locked up.

So does the rest of the NFL. They also know Vilma suffered a severe injury this past season. An injury that could have Vilma out for TC, not likely, but could. That being said, no NFL team would ever give us two decent picks for him. Getting a 3rd for vilma would have been tough. We got good value for Vilma, who just doesn't fit us anymore.

I loved JVille, but i also see he isn't the player we thought he would be, in the systems we run.

And what 10pen said. Jenkins is one of the best at his position, and fills a huge hole in this teams defense.

#9 vinsjets, Feb 29, 2008
  10. hookteeth

hookteeth Member

still think we gave up too much, Jenkins didn't have a great year last year to validate two picks, besides don't we need to get more talent for the team. More picks more options for better talent.

11. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Doesn't mean we're done. 5th round draft pick? I don't miss it. 3rd round? we would have drafted RB. Don't need it.
    And whats to say we don't make any other trades to make up a pick.

Night[FA period] is still young.

12. hookteeth

hookteeth Member

agreed, so do you think they will trade out of the six spot to get more picks this year

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

The odds of the 3rd and 5th being better than Kris Jenkins aren't that great.

I didn't break down Jenkins' game by game tape, but from what I know, he's still a top player. Carolina had to trade him after he questioned the team's heart and motivation last year, it's not like he's on the decline and they want to dump him before he goes real bad.

14. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I think we won't find that out until the Jets are on the clock.

If Gholston is available at 6, then hell no. He'll cap off a terrific [so far] offseason. If the BPA is Dorsey/Ellis, then I try and trade down.

I was LIVID last year when we got "stuck" with only Revis and Harris day 1. After seeing their performance on the field in 2007, I trust Tangini when it comes to draft day war room decisions. We don't know what we have in Chansi, and Bender could also work out, well. That being said, I'd grade the 2007 Draft an A, especially with vilma being replaced.

I can't remember an offseason where I've thought we made all the right moves, so far we've done great. Always wish you can grab more value out of a guy like Vilma, but clearly the saints deal was the best on the table.

15. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Whats everyone upset about? Were probably gonna get back 3rd and 4th round picks by trading Robertson and Vilma. Tannenbaum is working towards creating an elite defense and this is definitely a step in the right direction. This is probably the best DT weve had since Marty Lyons.

All thats left is signing Faneca, Pace, Samuel and getting great value for Vilma and DRoberston.

Jets 2008 Defense= Top 5 Unit in NFL

16. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

They pretty much have to trade D-Rob at this point. They just acquired his replacement in the starting lineup so now he's an $11M backup. So assuming we get a mid-rounder back for D-Rob this is a net gain. Not factoring that in it's still pretty good, assuming Jenkins continues to stay healthy. He's still playing at a high level, and should for a good number of years

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

18. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

I just dont get why every Jets fan isnt thrilled by this trade. What separates New England from us is talent. Acquiring Jenkins closes the talent gap. Theres still more work to be done but this is definitely a great start to free agency. And its time that all Jets fans put their faith in Tannenbaum and start seeing his vision for a big time elite defense in 2008.

19. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

What a great point that poster Solorca made. The raiders with that ridiculous deal they made earlier today increased the bank accounts of every DT on the market. Now it's early, but it's already looking like a steal on our end. Love to see what they do to replace him.

As Jets fans, we're so used to being the ones making the head scratching moves during the offseason. This year we did something right, it's throwing off how we're supposed to react.

#19 vinsjets, Feb 29, 2008
  20. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I hope you're right about getting picks back , as Vinsjets said last year was maddening to be stuck with 2 picks on day 1.