Rumor: Vilma to Saints

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayMike, Feb 28, 2008.

1. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

At no point have I ever said a 3rd for Vilma is fair. We're getting fleeced.

2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

VILMA DOES NOT WANT TO BE HERE

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I wanna keep Vilma too but its clear that Mangini will deal him before Vilma bolts potentially and will deal him while he still can........

I mean Daunte Culpepper came off a nasty injury and netted MIN a 2nd round pick. Justin McCareins got TEN a 2nd, AJ Feeley got PHI a 2nd. I mean you cant tell me that the final 2 are better than Vilma even if hes hurt.

4. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

Exactly you hit the nail on the head. Either we trade him now For something, OR we keep him and a he either comes back and does good again, only to leave via FA or b He never heals and then we never hear from him again.

Tangini realizes this and knows that this is the only way we get anything for him, Were not SB contenders here hes not the Final piece.

5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

right now hes a waste..were just going to lose him next year

6. BakerMaker

Well whether we keep Vilma or not, the very worst we get is a 3rd which will be a late one........

Thats why I think a mid to late 2nd is fair enough for Vilma. McGahee got BUF a 3rd and then some.....Wes Welker who didnt do THAT much in Miami got Miami multiple picks.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

regardless of what vilma "shoulda woulda coulda' have been worth, to us he is, and will continue to be, a virtual non-factor on our 3-4 D. If someone offered us a 3rd round pick for mccariens, would anyone bitch? no, because mc does not help the team.

getting a 3rd round pic for a player who can't contribute is sweet. even if vilma never had the injury, if he cant contribut, then he becommes cannon fodder.

ready
    aim
    fire

'its rainin black men'

get the best deal we can, then move forwared

8. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

Both of them were diff circumstances. We thought Mccariens was a young up and coming Wr with great height and good speed. I dont think i have to tell you how that ended up.

Also, none of those players were going to become a UFA after the season. Being in the last year of a contract changes everything, think about it why would you give up alot for a guy when you know you could just get him after the season when you would give up nothing.

9. rillo

rillo New Member

Anyone who thinks its fair is crazy....especially playing for a 4-3 or Tampa/Cover 2 defense...its already proven he can do it.

10. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

A third would be terrible, anyone we got there would be nowhere near as good as JV.

11. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

If this is indeed true, I honestly wish nothing but the best for him and regret that his stay here wasn't more successful.

12. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Cotchery, Rhodes, and Leon were all picked after the 3rd round. They're all more valuable to the Jets than Vilma.

13. BakerMaker

But if hes injured so much and hasnt done anything in 2 years, why would Vilma demand big bucks when he has no leverage?

14. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

If we take that third and trade it for Kris Jenkins, it's essentially Vilma for Jenkins which is alright.

15. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I realize that, but so were Anthony Schlegal, Sione Pouha, and Eric Smith in recent years. Sometimes you get lucky, but I'd much rather have a proven Vilma, even if he isn't a great fit for the defense.

16. Scottso

Scottso Member

Damn Rillo, you really gotta bring back that avatar. I think it will be a good luck charm for the next 24 hours. Do it, do it now!

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

please god dont trade a vilma for a 3rd....ill fucking hate this team then. get a decent player please

18. BakerMaker

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/02/free_agent_update_1.html?nav=rss_blog

Todd Collins is set to hit the free agent market and will draw heavy interest from Jacksonville and St. Louis among others. He will likely let the Skins match any offer, and we'll see where the money goes. Coach Jim Zorn flew to Quincy, Mass. today to Todd's home, to meet with him, league sources said, but the sides have no deal and he's ready to test the waters.

Skins have talked recently to agents for Reche Caldwell, Jason Fabini and Derrick Frost as well. All will hit the market (Skins did not budge on their offer to Frost, he's rejected it and the Skins will monitor him through free agency). Not many other free agent punters out there, but don't see Frost garnering much interest. Pierson Prioleau and Randall Godfrey could be moving on.

Around the league, the trade market is cooking and those D Tackles are moving fast. Sources say Stroud and Rogers could be swapped and Jacksonville looking for at least a second rounder for Stroud and would retain him unless value is offered. Corey Williams has been traded to Cleveland - it will be announced come midnight, sources said, and another name player, Jon Vilma, is very very close to beaing dealt to the Saints (Sources said the Skins nosed around on him but nothing serious).

DeAngelo Hall is still out there but I would be surprised if the Skins stepped up to the point of getting that done, but you never know in this wacky business.

Corey Williams who is a decent player netted GB a 2nd. Vilma can surely net a 2nd thats around the same area.......Hopefully this doesnt impact Jenkins and the cards CAR has.

19. salsamdon

salsamdon New Member

The 'Aints second for Vilma would be sweet!

ANyone know what # pick that might be?

20. MannyG

MannyG New Member

There is no way the Jets could get more than a 3rd round pick for Vilma with his injury situation unless it was/is a conditional for the 2009 draft. The Saints gambled on Brees and won, I guess they think they can do it again with Vilma.